• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

"I ski double blacks" in Slate parenting column

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
He kept going on about how great a skier he was and complaining to my boys that they wouldn’t take him on “double-black” diamond terrain....My oldest finally got exasperated and took him up to a lift

Full story in Slate (3rd story down).

I like these two boys.

Admin Edit; Since this is a dear abby type editorial, I'm adding the content here.

Dear Care and Feeding,

My two boys (11 and 13) are excellent skiers. We have a vacation house near a ski mountain, so they have skied 30-40 days a year since they were very little. That means that when friends and relatives come to visit, typically the kids aren’t as experienced as mine. My boys will happily leave off from pursuing insane back-country antics with their local friends and accompany visitors on slopes of whatever level suits them.

Recently, a problem arose with their cousin (also 11, my nephew on my wife’s side). He’s a good kid, but like all kids, he has foibles: In his case, a certain amount of insecurity, perhaps especially related to his cousins, which can turn into boastfulness. He kept going on about how great a skier he was and complaining to my boys that they wouldn’t take him on “double-black” diamond terrain. (I’ve seen this pattern with other things, from chess to video games.) My oldest finally got exasperated and took him up to a lift that led to a terrifying-looking descent—though unbeknownst to my nephew, there was a somewhat hidden, easy way down. As soon as they got off the lift and my nephew got a look at the hard descent, he freaked out and began to bawl. My son let him go on for a few minutes before revealing that if this looked like it was beyond his “double-black” abilities, there was an easier way down.

My wife was annoyed with our son for playing this trick on his cousin. I disagree. They were gracious and patient with their cousin for a couple of days, putting up with his boasting and constant claims of wanting to hit harder terrain, until they tried the understandable and expedient tactic of calling his bluff. In response to my wife’s scolding, both my sons say that they don’t want to ski with their cousin the next time he comes. I think we should let this one slide if they agree to give their cousin another chance. What say you?

—That Went Downhill Fast

Dear Downhill,

I tend to agree with you. Your sons displayed patience until it became untenable, at which point, your oldest found a creative way to solve the issue. Is your wife upset at your son for scaring his cousin, or for putting the cousin in a situation where he might have skied down dangerous terrain? I think either of those are fair points to discuss—and a discussion, not any kind of punishment, is what’s called for here. Can his methods be improved? Sure, and your wife is free to suggest as much; on the other hand, he solved the problem for himself and without cruelty, from what it sounds like, which deserves acknowledgment as well.

And much like your son deserves the benefit of the doubt, your nephew deserves a second chance. Youth is the time for making mistakes and learning from them. Hopefully, everyone can let each other off the hook a bit, here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Full story in Slate (3rd story down).

I like these two boys.

Nah, this is not what we are talking about often here. This is kid’s stuff. This is what kids do on both giving and the receiving end in this story. I wouldn’t scold them overly harsh, wouldn’t praise them either.

Matter of fact, keeping my position as their main ally but also their Zen master I’d probably say something along the lines “That was a hell of a lesson you gave him, but next time try harder not to be dicks”.
A balanced approach you know-spank with one hand, praise with the other. :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
When I used to run a middle school ski club, I hired this one college kid as a chaperone for years- until well past graduation. He was a kick ass skier and his primary job was to stick with the boys who were going to go where they shouldn’t. I wanted someone skilled with them who could help them survive their inevitable bad choices!

Calvin & Hobbes

Booting up
Skier
I personally thought the 13 year old found an excellent solution to the problem. The sad fact of life is that boys need to be good enough if they want to join in for some activities. Boys also need to know how their abilities stack up with the abilities of others that they are looking to join in outdoor sports. Having been also a mountain biker for 37 years in addition to being a skier, my perspective is that it truly is best if someone is able to provide a humble and honest assessment of their abilities in outdoor sports. Because someone getting in over their head means that they either open themselves to the possibility of getting hurt or greatly inconveniencing others. And the embarrassment of not being able to hang must be overwhelming at ANY age. Better to learn that hard lesson when you're 11 year old than when you're in your 20s or 30s.

Here's a good example. In my mid 20s, a salesperson that wanted to sell to my company started a conversation with me about mountain biking. This was in the SF Bay Area where there are multiple levels of ability in mountain biking & the cultural motivation to appear to be an expert in outdoor sports. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of taking this guy with other folks I typically ride with to a place where the ride starts with descending 1500 vertical feet or so. At the bottom, this guy says 'Hey guys, I'm not feeling so well. I only had a cup of coffee for breakfast. Why don't you guys just go ahead.' A friend who was a Cat 2 racer on the road and I look at each other and decide we're going to push this guy up 1500 vertical feet. Pushing him back up actually wasn't nearly as bad as it sounds especially as my friend pushed him up 2/3 of the way, but boy was this guy embarrassed. I never heard from this guy again.

This 11 y.o. kid came home unhurt & learned a valuable lesson. Seems like a good deal for him.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
is that it truly is best if someone is able to provide a humble and honest assessment of their abilities in outdoor sports.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Remember, we are talking teenage boys, this is not how their world works. My 12 years old nephew after only 2 ski lessons with a teacher said he felt pretty confident he can do The Wall-a nice black run which is not named like this for nothing shall we say.

Long story short, I took him there and he indeed did it. On his boots/ass, carrying his skis and poles.

After which he said he felt it would have been much easier on snowboard and asked us to rent him one…:roflmao:

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some adults as well.
Reminds me of a story: I grew up in Colorado and every Thanksgiving our family would drive up to Basalt to ski with our friends Ed and Amy (father/daughter) at Aspen. Ed was very likable, but could be a little annoying: he liked to sing songs loudly on the lift. One of his favorites was "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini".

On one particular day when Amy was about six, Ed and Amy were riding the old Loges double up to the top of Highlands when Ed breaks into "Itsy Bitsy". Immediately behind them a pair of adults on a chair further back start singing along. But they don't stop and keep it up all the way to the top. When Ed and Amy unload and are getting ready to ski down, the obnoxious pair skis right over to them singing as loudly as ever.

"Uh-oh Amy, what did we start?" comments Ed, then Ed and Amy head off down the ridge that skirts the top of Steeplechase: a steep collection of avalanche cutes and bowls that falls off the east side of the mountain. They head down and stop on top of either Garmisch or St. Moritz, two of Steeplechase's runs. The obnoxious pair follows them down and again, skies right over next to them, singing as obnoxiously as possible.

"Ok Amy, follow me," says Ed, and they head off into Steeplechase. Now at this point the terrain doesn't look all that daunting; it's a pitch of only about 40 degrees. But after awhile the terrain rolls away and disappears from view, becoming much steeper. These guys don't know that. All they see is this little girl and her dad dropping into a run. The other thing they don't know is that this little girl logs over 50 days a season and has done so every year since the age of three. They decide to keep up the harassment and followed them down.

Ed and Amy easily made their way to the bottom, then turn to look up at their pursuers. The pair crested the steepening rolloff and were struggling with the moguls now at 45 to 50 degrees. They couldn't make any turns and could only go for 10 to 15 feet before sitting down and crashing in stark fear. Effectively stuck on the mountain.

"Ok Amy. Loudly now...

"ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR! TELL THE PEOPLE WHAT SHE WORE!
It Was An Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini
That She Wore for the First Time Today
An Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini
And in the Water She Wanted to Stay!"

Calvin & Hobbes

Booting up
Skier
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Remember, we are talking teenage boys, this is not how their world works. My 12 years old nephew after only 2 ski lessons with a teacher said he felt pretty confident he can do The Wall-a nice black run which is not named like this for nothing shall we say.

Long story short, I took him there and he indeed did it. On his boots/ass, carrying his skis and poles.

After which he said he felt it would have been much easier on snowboard and asked us to rent him one…:roflmao:
Well, some kids have to learn the hard way...

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm w/ the oldest son and the father. Did the mother have to put up with situation, or just fearing the whiplash from relatives? My guess, the later.

As they say, Put up or shut up.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
13 year old me would have made him "ski" it.
Kinder gentler old man me would have taken him on something harder than he had been unsatisfied with, and kept on increasing the difficulty until he was happy with the level of over-terraining, not just taken him to the most difficult run on the hill. I've become such a nice guy. I wasn't a nice kid though. :nono:

Vestirse

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm a Mom and I'm with the Dad and the kids... I probably would have asked them to think about other ways of handling that - like perhaps telling adults, but I have a teenager and know that some kids have the amazing ability to tune people out and just keep talking $hit.

Had that nephew been my son and complained, I would have told him better to learn the lesson now. That kind of false bravado to measure up and sometimes one up everyone else is going to get you in trouble, period. Fortunate it was was a cousin that provided an easy way out!

Honestly, sometimes people need to be saved from themselves.

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
67 transfered from Anchorage to Colorado Springs a junior in high school. Had a student teacher in gym class and he was an ass. A
Lways rode anbody not varsity football, like me. He started off on how he was better than me at any sport, just being a solid jerk.
Took him up on it to meet that Sunday at the top of Mach One at Breckinridge (it was pretty much the steepest thing on the hill in those days). To his credit he showed. Agreed 1st the bottom wins. Gave him a 1 bump head staert and pushed off, did not stop at the bottom or even look back just headed for the lift.
He never gave me anymore grief. He never asked and I didn't mention it was my 2nd year teaching.
Wrong but satisfying.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
My boys will happily leave off from pursuing insane back-country antics with their local friends and accompany visitors on slopes of whatever level suits them.
This line threw up a red flag to me right away. I know it’s not the point of the story but no 13yo should be skiing in the backcountry unless accompanied by an experienced adult with self rescue skills & completely out of avalanche terrain. Let alone pursuing insane backcountry antics… ever! :nono:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Took him up on it to meet that Sunday at the top of Mach One at Breckinridge (it was pretty much the steepest thing on the hill in those days). To his credit he showed. Agreed 1st the bottom wins.
Sounds like this...

Vestirse

Putting on skis
Skier
This line threw up a red flag to me right away. I know it’s not the point of the story but no 13yo should be skiing in the backcountry unless accompanied by an experienced adult with self rescue skills & completely out of avalanche terrain. Let alone pursuing insane backcountry antics… ever! :nono:
I somehow missed that! Worrisome...

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Possibly Dads idea of insane BC routes, is somewhat tamer than what a seasoned skier considers expert terrain.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Scratch any guy -even a 60 year old, and you can find the 13 year old lurking underneath. I’m so glad I’ve got my inner 13 year old (mostly) under control.. I still have a few “ F’s” to give but not many and not often. What a relief.

Sponsor

Staff online