• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Finding the "Middle Ground" for the East

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK, I broke down and started looking into this ski. After what you posted and everything I read, I have 2 questions.
1.) There are reviews that mention this is a "stiff" flex ski, and one retailer has it rated as an "8" out of 10 in stiffness. Is this an accurate characterization of the longitudinal flex?
2.) For those who have tried these, do they ski short, long, or pretty much to the listed length?

I realize any input is just opinions, but it would be helpful.
My wife liked them better than the Black Pearl 82, which I believe is quite stiff like my Brahma 82. But she demoed them at a shorter length (154) than typical because she wanted something easier in the bumps. She still finds them stable for carving.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, I broke down and started looking into this ski. After what you posted and everything I read, I have 2 questions.
1.) There are reviews that mention this is a "stiff" flex ski, and one retailer has it rated as an "8" out of 10 in stiffness. Is this an accurate characterization of the longitudinal flex?
2.) For those who have tried these, do they ski short, long, or pretty much to the listed length?

I realize any input is just opinions, but it would be helpful.
I just bought Dancer2x 96/171.
I’m 5’5”, 135. I like bumps, not a charger by any means. I’m a New England skier who skis out West when I can.
I can’t address Dancer1x, but if the 2x is related, my experience might be relevant.
Dancer 2x skies a little short, that is my habitual skis were/are BP88/159 and Nela88/160 and Dancer 2x does not feel planky or stiff in the way that low 170 Steadfast or Forza (65?)did when I demo’d them in December. I really wanted to demo Blaze 86w but they were always out!
Dancer2x is “stiff” in that it was very stable at my top speed, maybe even gave me confidence to ski faster!!! The tails did not wash out. At the same time, it is light and maneuverable in bumps and gullies, (did not get into trees much). It feels platform-y and a different kind of fun compared to my BP/Nela88s even though the tip and tail dimensions are very similar. Why else would I have bought a ski at 96 when I have 88s?
FWIW, I also skied Blaze96w/172 for a couple runs last year. They did not feel long or planky either, but did not have quite the surfy feel of the Dancer2x.
I think the Dancers are narrow wide skis, but they hold an edge well compared to typical wide skis.
And the top sheets are great!!!
This all meshes with Mrs Marker’s experience on Dancer 1x. From what I understand the Xs are the women’s line with different top sheet and one shorter size but otherwise the same.

Last edited:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just bought Dancer2x 96/171.
I’m 5’5”, 135. I like bumps, not a charger by any means. I’m a New England skier who skis out West when I can.
I can’t address Dancer1x, but if the 2x is related, my experience might be relevant.
Dancer 2x skies a little short, that is my habitual skis were/are BP88/159 and Nela88/160 and Dancer 2x does not feel planky or stiff in the way that low 170 Steadfast or Forza (65?)did when I demo’d them in December. I really wanted to demo Blaze 86w but they were always out!
Dancer2x is “stiff” in that it was very stable at my top speed, maybe even gave me confidence to ski faster!!! The tails did not wash out. At the same time, it is light and maneuverable in bumps and gullies, (did not get into trees much). It feels platform-y and a different kind of fun compared to my BP/Nela88s even though the tip and tail dimensions are very similar. Why else would I have bought a ski at 96 when I have 88s?
FWIW, I also skied Blaze96w/172 for a couple runs last year. They did not feel long or planky either, but did not have quite the surfy feel of the Dancer2x.
I think the Dancers are narrow wide skis, but they hold an edge well compared to typical wide skis.
And the top sheets are great!!!
This all meshes with Mrs Marker’s experience on Dancer 1x. From what I understand the Xs are the women’s line with different top sheet and one shorter size but otherwise the same.
Do you recall Jane skiing her 1X at the NEG? She does not like planky at all.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No, don’t recall meeting her that trip. But I do recall her skiing them last March when I showed up at Kton midweek in way back from MRG and invited myself to ski with you. Her fondness of them was part of what made me figure I’d give them a shot!

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No, don’t recall meeting her that trip. But I do recall her skiing them last March when I showed up at Kton midweek in way back from MRG and invited myself to ski with you. Her fondness of them was part of what made me figure I’d give them a shot!
Right, got my memories jumbled.

nascent

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I was in the exact same boat as you a few years ago looking for a same ski with the same criteria. I ended up purchasing the Black Crows Divus. It has metal in it so it's relatively strong, it's narrow enough to carve well, but has some tip and tail rocker so you have a bit of playfulness/versatility. The Armada Declivity 82 was another ski that would've worked (very similar to the Divus if you refer to the Ski Essentials reviews) but I got the Divus simply because I found it for a better price at the time.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Looks like the Divus is no longer in the Black Crows line. I was starting to look into the Declivity 82 Ti. Haven't found a lot of comments/reviews on this one ... tons on the Declivity 92 Ti.

nascent

Skier
Yeah I only mention it because you may find some leftover from last season (or used) on deep discount. I do think the Declivity is another great option for you though.

Ski Essentials has a great comparison video of all skis in that width range that compares the Divus, Declivity, Wingman and Brahma.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Black Crows chat online recommended the Vertis, but I don't think that's what I am looking for. Thanks for the video.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
If soothski has tested any of your short list you might get some insight by comparing them to each other and to what you’ve skied.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Yeah I only mention it because you may find some leftover from last season (or used) on deep discount. I do think the Declivity is another great option for you though.

Ski Essentials has a great comparison video of all skis in that width range that compares the Divus, Declivity, Wingman and Brahma.
Had fun going back through that video of reviews! After that and SEVERAL other sources (one has too much time when recovering from surgery!), I can see a lot of positives in the characteristics of the Black Crows Divus (too bad they don't make it any longer!), Armada Declivity 82 Ti, and Faction Dancer 1. As I think about all the skis I have owned and demo'd in this category and how my terrain of choice has morphed over the last several years., these seem like great skis to try out.

nascent

Skier
Had fun going back through that video of reviews! After that and SEVERAL other sources (one has too much time when recovering from surgery!), I can see a lot of positives in the characteristics of the Black Crows Divus (too bad they don't make it any longer!), Armada Declivity 82 Ti, and Faction Dancer 1. As I think about all the skis I have owned and demo'd in this category and how my terrain of choice has morphed over the last several years., these seem like great skis to try out.
Like I said, I do think the Declivity 82 is a great option with the characteristics you're looking for and would be a pretty safe buy. But a demo would settle it for sure. Hope you find that dream ski!

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
So I tried to find a leftover Black Crows Divus, but ended up finding some used ones from '22. I actually picked one, but condition was not what I expected, so returned it. Still leaning in the direction of the Declivity 82 Ti, but there's a dark horse candidate ... the Kastle PX81. Once I get past the vanity issue of it not being in the MX/FX lines and having no metal, everything I have read/watched here, on Ski Essentials, and elsewhere seems to suggest it fits the versatility and finesse prerequisites pretty darn well! I wonder how many of us (relatively lighter, non-race background, finesse skiers) overlook the skis that may actually be best suited for us? Anyone actually on the PX81 that can share experiences?

Sponsor