• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Finding the "Middle Ground" for the East

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
So far, the skis I don't have experience with that have been mentioned here and I will look into are:
- Blaze 86 (and 82)
- Faction Dancer 1
- Stance 84

For those who have skied either the Blaze 82/86 or the Faction Dancer 1 in particular, can you tell me more about the feel/performance of those skis and what conditions you have experience with them in?

I appreciate all the options mentioned ... I just have specific opinions from demos, etc. on many of the other options.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been skiing the Blaze 86 since last season. My home mountain is Sunday River in Maine.. I prefer being in bumps and trees whenever possible, but also get plenty of time on groomers when conditions aren't behaving as you'd like, as in this season. I'm more of a finesse skier than a powerful one. I have also brought them with me to Taos last season where I skied almost exclusively steep bumps and trees, including hike to terrain at the peak and off of Kachina. Brought them with me to Steamboat this past January and just came back from Big Sky as well. I've had them in powder and crud up to around a foot and they are perfectly happy there. Carves like a dream but will also effortlessly switch into short tight turns down the fall line.

It's a playful ski with a little bit of dampness.. but nowhere near the burliness of most Volkls and while it has great edge hold they also aren't as infallible as the burlier Volkls in that regard either. I find I need to sharpen them pretty often as the edges tend to dull quicker than I'd expect.. but in fairness we have had really rough snow this season. I did go down one size from my usual length.. mostly I would choose a ski in the mid 160s but I wanted these specifically to work on bumps/trees and the 159 is still completely stable for me in this ski where many others aren't. I tried the 166 as well, and while it was "zoomier" than the 159 it wasn't as nimble as I wanted for my purposes. I have no regrets, but if you can try multiple sizes in this ski you might like to so you can judge the differences for yourself if you are so inclined and choose based on your own preferences and what you ski the most. I know a handful of people with this ski who sized down as I did and then a couple who were happy with their usual length so went with that as well. YMMV in that regard.

Last edited:
TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
OK, so after many suggestions and spending a decent amount of time on reviews, etc., here is the update. I have decided to stay in the low 80's to mid 80's max on width. My preference is actually upper 70's to low 80's for this ski, but finding the upper 70's skis to be a little too carve-centric for the most part and not quite as versatile. I purchased a Nordica Unleashed 98 which I am excited about, so this ski needs to be a good complement. Still putting a premium on versatility of terrain (ungroomed, glades, bumps), but an obvious need to be able to handle Northeast hardpack that comes with the territory.

How would you rank the following in terms of versatility and fit with a bit more of a finesse skier who is not a heavyweight (165lbs.)?

- Stance 84
- Blaze 82/86
- Steadfast 80/85
- M-Pro 85

Thanks for all the replies/input!

deadheadskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Seems to me you should demo. Your idea of "finesse" and "versatile" may be different than others.

MadSkier

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
My recommendation is the Dynastar M-Cross 88. It is a great daily driver for the East for what you are looking for. I have a very similar profile to you in terms of what you are looking for: something highly versatile for the conditions in the East but more on the finesse side - not too burly with metal that makes it a hard charger & more difficult to turn. It makes shorter, slalom-like turns with ease in all conditions, which is what I love! But it also has solid edge grip for when you hit the groomers.

I have skied it in every condition this season in the East and the M-Cross 88 is a champ! I don't think I've ever had a ski that is this versatile and smooth. Nothing seems to faze it and it is so silky smooth and easy to turn. Check it out if you can!

I have the M-Cross 88 but if you want to go narrower, the M-Cross 82 is available. The 88 gives you some off-piste capability/smoothness that the 82 doesn't have (from what I've heard/read). I personally don't need to go any narrower than the M-Cross 88 for the East.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
How does M-Cross 88 compare with M-Pro 85?

MadSkier

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
How does M-Cross 88 compare with M-Pro 85?
I have not skied any of the M-Pros but from what I've read, I believe they are more burly and less finesse, as most of the M-Pros are. But I don't really know from first-hand experience.

I do know the M-Cross 88 won a "Ski Talk Tester's Choice" award this year while the M-Pro 85 did not.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, so after many suggestions and spending a decent amount of time on reviews, etc., here is the update. I have decided to stay in the low 80's to mid 80's max on width. My preference is actually upper 70's to low 80's for this ski, but finding the upper 70's skis to be a little too carve-centric for the most part and not quite as versatile. I purchased a Nordica Unleashed 98 which I am excited about, so this ski needs to be a good complement. Still putting a premium on versatility of terrain (ungroomed, glades, bumps), but an obvious need to be able to handle Northeast hardpack that comes with the territory.

How would you rank the following in terms of versatility and fit with a bit more of a finesse skier who is not a heavyweight (165lbs.)?

- Stance 84
- Blaze 82/86
- Steadfast 80/85
- M-Pro 85

Thanks for all the replies/input!
I haven’t skied all of these.. but I’ll plug the Blaze again.. the Blaze 86 should rank extremely high on it’s own merits for versatility. I have skied it everywhere and in every type of condition and it excels. I’m in the East so obviously ice is a given, trees, bumps, taken West as recently as 2 weeks ago to Bridger and Big Sky.. skied steep bumps and trees and in up to around a foot of powder. Literally hasn’t been anything they can’t do quite well.

I am also a finesse skier and pretty average size for a female.. 5’4” 125lbs.

Of course demoing yourself is best, if at all possible.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Had plans to do a bunch of demos on a planned trip to Smugglers' Notch, but surgery negated that trip ... such is life! Has anyone been on both the Blaze 86 and Blaze 82 to know how much all-mountain versatility the 82 would give up compared to the 86?

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another vote for the Enforcer. I am in a different part of the country but ski the 88's things all over the charts, have really liked them. Solid, playful, bust crud pretty well, hold an edge, will do any turn you ask of it. Have it paired with a 100, has made a good mix. It has been my go to for teaching and clinics the past 4 seasons. Thinking about the 89 to replace them, they are starting to act a little tired, and haven't been on anything I like better for a daily driver.
These things are a Swiss Army Knife.
Another vote for the Enforcer 88. Love mine. Very versatile.

Rick G

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, so after many suggestions and spending a decent amount of time on reviews, etc., here is the update. I have decided to stay in the low 80's to mid 80's max on width.
Have you entertained the Kastle DX84? Caveat: I do not know what changed between the 85 from last year and the 84 this year...but the 85 seemed to punch well above its weight class, definitely an underrated ski, IMO. Really versatile in comparison to the burlier MX.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I haven’t tried a lot of mid 80s skis, but am starting to think a low 80 and mid 90s is the right combo rather than trying to find that one all mtn size fits all ski.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
I haven’t tried a lot of mid 80s skis, but am starting to think a low 80 and mid 90s is the right combo rather than trying to find that one all mtn size fits all ski.
Which is what I am doing as well. I purchased a 98mm waisted ski (Unleashed 98), so this ski purchase would be to complement that one. This is why I wanted to look into the upper 70's to low 80's in width and why the upper-80's widths are not as much of interest to me.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thus your presence here.
If I’m going to sidestep thiis mung to make it nice for everyone else I prefer a 90s ski.
IMG_1268.jpeg

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Stop the thread and find yourself a Faction Dancer 1. Maybe the single most overlooked ski available if you want a 'freeride' ski that will let you determine turn shape but you want a sub- 90mm ski.
Agree, another great option, my wife skis the older version Dictator 1X all over the mountain. I thought of it only after I posted.
OK, I broke down and started looking into this ski. After what you posted and everything I read, I have 2 questions.
1.) There are reviews that mention this is a "stiff" flex ski, and one retailer has it rated as an "8" out of 10 in stiffness. Is this an accurate characterization of the longitudinal flex?
2.) For those who have tried these, do they ski short, long, or pretty much to the listed length?

I realize any input is just opinions, but it would be helpful.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, I broke down and started looking into this ski. After what you posted and everything I read, I have 2 questions.
1.) There are reviews that mention this is a "stiff" flex ski, and one retailer has it rated as an "8" out of 10 in stiffness. Is this an accurate characterization of the longitudinal flex?
2.) For those who have tried these, do they ski short, long, or pretty much to the listed length?

I realize any input is just opinions, but it would be helpful.
Paging @DebbieSue

Sponsor

Staff online