• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eastern Canada Eastern Townships Quebec for Mixed Group

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We skied Orford and Owls Head season before last. Stayed at a big hotel golf resort type of place a few k's from Orford. Liked both. Super inexpensive. I think Orford mid-week was about $20US with lunch. We had a mixed group ability wise and did not go to Sutton on advice from locals who thought conditions there would be tough for some of our group. Wind packed fresh snow; it was very blustery and snowed about 3 or 4" a day while we were there. In fact, out hotel and most other places lost power for a day and a half from the storms.

We did go into Magog for dinner one night but it seemed fairly sleepy.

I've been skiing Jay Peak since the mid '80's and have always said it is hit or miss. Their snowmaking and grooming has never been the best and they, like all NE, are subject to thaw freeze cycles. 300" means they should have a good base. Conditions can be great or crap or... It has also gotten popular over the years though it has always been busy on weekends from Montrealers. If you hit Jay hit it on a weekday. It does get more, a lot more, snow than the Eastern Township areas. Not sure if they still take CAD at par.

Wonky

Booting up
Skier
I've never skied Holiday Valley, but if you are from Ontario, I have to think that all of the Eastern Township places will be better than anything in Ontario.

I haven't skied Owl's Head or Bromont, and I've only skied Orford once. I don't remember much about it so it didn't leave much of an impression...mind you I was there with the in-laws so that might have something to do with it.

We used to ski Sutton primarily, but then discovered Jay and really haven't been back to Sutton much since. It can get busy, but not Tremblant busy. It's pretty good for a mixed crowd. If you are looking at a trail map, it kind of skis in pods. The easier stuff is lookers right, the harder stuff is lookers left.

If you want trees Jay beats Sutton, but the groomers are not great...icy and heavily travelled We actually often stay in Sutton when we ski Jay to keep expenses in CAD. The drive is about an hour. The crowds this year weren't bad except when a windhold hits (which is frustratingly often) and the whole Tramside was shutdown. Sundays are often deserted. Lines at the tram are always long though. CAD is still taken at par for lift tickets, though you can do better with online sources (not the official website...they will charge credit cards in USD). If you stay on the hill you can pay for half your visit in CAD, though this past year they had a couple of sales where you could pay for your whole stay in CAD.

TS
J

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Ok, thanks everyone. This is all really good information. I'll put it out to the group once/if it appears there may be a ski season.

After looking at some of the areas, I may also consider a family trip out that way this summer if the Covid restrictions loosen up.

eric100

Putting on skis
Skier
I am interested in potentially bringing my family to the Eastern Townships areas in December during the Christmas-New Years week. I am also considering Tremblant as another option. We have skied Tremblant and Whiteface in this region and am looking for some comparison. How do the Eastern Townships ski areas compare to Tremblant as far as terrain goes and has anyone skied these areas during this peak week? Any insights into how the crowds tend to be at these resorts. (yes I know this is a busy week, however the kids have school to work around)

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I belonged to a travelling ski club years ago. We did all over Quebec at that time.

Tremblant - big mountain, lots of people, newer lifts, on site lodging, village, lots of après etc. - you've been there you know -Killington north.
Eastern Townships -
Sutton - narrow windy trails, combination of slow and fast lifts. No big snowy meadows if you're looking for that. Glades are great if open. Not a place for beginners.
Owl's Head - New ownership, so not sure about somethings. I see changes in their ads. 1 peak with trails off it. Better place for beginners and intermediates. Not much advanced terrain.
Orford - Never been...hear there is quite a north wind.
Bromont - Kind of like skiing Barrie area. Lots of night skiing. You'll pass it on the way to any of the others.
Only Owl's Head really has onsite lodging. Sutton has "inn" next door, and there are lots of condo's on the side of the mountain that are privately owned. Couple of hotels down the road and in the town. So need the car everyday.

Any time I've been in the Townships for that week, they've had really limited terrain. Snow seems to be better north, or it could be just my luck.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Sutton - narrow windy trails, combination of slow and fast lifts. No big snowy meadows if you're looking for that. Glades are great if open. Not a place for beginners.

Oh, I dunno. There's a fair bit of beginner playground skier left of Sutton-ik, under chair 2 west and chair 1 west. Even beginner (low green) glades!

full

Orford - bring your XC skis too - there is an awesome trail system at the park across the way from the mountain. On high wind days I just stayed over there :D

Last edited:
TS
J

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
As an FYI, my group never did take that trip due to the COVID restrictions last year.

eric100

Putting on skis
Skier
We dont have any beginners in the family. Therefore we are looking for more challenging terrain. It is also not worth going, if the crowds are so crazy that we spend the entire day in lines. Therefore some insight into how crowded the eastern townships ski areas get at peak times is helpful.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
No mention of LeMassiff. I hear great things. Is that mt located in the Townships?

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
No mention of LeMassiff. I hear great things. Is that mt located in the Townships?
No, I've been twice and liked it but not in the townships (2+ hours to the east). I enjoyed the one time I was at Sutton 3 years ago. Am by know means an accomplished tree skier but there were areas I was comfortable. Locals told me it all depends on conditions for spring, if you get a thaw and quick freeze it can mean days of icy conditions. I suppose that's true of everywhere though.
Stayed in town at a Air BnB and found the restaurants and shops pretty nice in the evening.

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
Wow. I just realised I haven't been there since the school bus days.
It's very upgraded from then. I believe the owner is the former owner of Cirque de Soleil. Nice lodge, all RFID, good lifts, great view. For a rec skier like myself good terrain and a really awesome view skiing down to the St Laurent.

eric100

Putting on skis
Skier
I would love to ski LeMassiff, however the additional 2.5 hr drivetime from Toronto is just too far to drive for this trip. Tremblant or the Eastern Townships is already 6.5 hrs.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Plus you mention you are seeking to avoid crowds. I have skied Le Massif during the holidays. It can get pretty busy.

Smaller places such as Orford may be better. IDK.

I wanted to ski Le Massif back in the school bus days but it took me another few decades to get there.

TS
J

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
But you could this year ... :D

Our group already has our flights booked to Calgary. If two kids playing rep hockey wasnt so demanding both in time and money, I'd try to get the them out there, but it will be really hard to squeeze in.

Sponsor

Staff online