• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eastern Canada Eastern Townships Quebec for Mixed Group

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Hi everyone,
For many years now I've planned an annual trip for a group of guys based out of Southern Ontario (and beyond). Last year was a down year in that only two of us made it out to SLC, with the rest of the regulars bowing out due to family commitments and budgetary concerns.

Next year, I'm going to plan an eastern trip to try to get more guys out as it's shorter and cheaper. The US exchange rate is pretty bad right now, so I'm thinking Quebec. We've done Tremblant twice but have been turned off by weekend crowds.

We love Mont Ste Anne and Le Massif, but it's a haul to get to. That said, I'm not ruling it out.

I was wondering about the Eastern Townships. It looks like the vertical of the resorts is a bit smaller than the other major resorts. But, for the hardcores of our group it looks like the tree skiing would make up for it. For the less experienced in the group, how would they find it? There's decent skiing close by here at Holiday Valley across the border, but it's just a little vertically challenged. Would the Eastern Townships be better by enough of a margin to drive all that way if sticking to groomers?

Also, if the group wanted to have a night out, would there be any options. It appears the area would be pretty sleepy, but would there be any hidden gems to check out? I was thinking we'd come in on a Friday and night ski at Bromont. Then we'd ski the other two days at Orford and Sutton. My guess is Magog or Orford would be a good base but I'd be open to other suggestions.

Thanks!!!

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Bromont for the night skiing, on the way down, would be good. Sutton has tight trials that not everyone likes, but the sous-bois, right after a snow storm...
Owl's Head has some big snowy meadows and the best view down the Lake. I've never skied Orford. It was always too cold, then it closed, then it opened....

If they have Snow Show in Toronto in the fall, that would be good place to start too.

SkiBam

Putting on skis
Skier
For my money, I'd skip Orford and go to Owl's Head instead. I'm a Tremblant skier now as I live in the area, but in the old days, loved Owl's Head. And Sutton of course. When there's good snow, its glade skiing is the best.

TS
J

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
For my money, I'd skip Orford and go to Owl's Head instead. I'm a Tremblant skier now as I live in the area, but in the old days, loved Owl's Head. And Sutton of course. When there's good snow, its glade skiing is the best.

Owls Head is better than Orford? Will the casual skiers in the group like it as much also? From my desk side view of the trail maps and stats, it appears Orford has more skiable vertical... Which would be a key selling point for the groomer skiers.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Windy at Orford....not sure if they've replaced the lifts either.

New owners at Owl's Head. Top of the mountain to the bottom of the bottom lift is a really good run. And the views..

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Owls Head is better than Orford? Will the casual skiers in the group like it as much also? From my desk side view of the trail maps and stats, it appears Orford has more skiable vertical... Which would be a key selling point for the groomer skiers.
Sometimes stated vertical and how it actually skis are two different things..... I don't know the difference between those two, but I'm not sold on pure vert as a measure of good mountain. For me, Sugarloaf is 2800' that skis like 2200'...still good for the east..but it ain't 2800' of wholesome goodness..

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Hey, are instructional ski weeks no longer a thing in l'Estrie?

Was just looking at Sutton and didn't see any 15-20hr packages?

TS
J

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Sometimes stated vertical and how it actually skis are two different things..... I don't know the difference between those two, but I'm not sold on pure vert as a measure of good mountain. For me, Sugarloaf is 2800' that skis like 2200'...still good for the east..but it ain't 2800' of wholesome goodness..

Yeah, that's why check the trail maps too to see if you can get the whole vertical in on one run. At both Orford and Owls Head it looks like you could get it in in one shot though at Owls Head it looks like you need to take two lifts to lap the full thing.

My wife was never that great a skier, and she enjoyed Owl's Head too.

Checking the map, it looks like Jay Peak is reachable if we stayed somewhere between Owls Head and the border. I'm not seeing a heck of a lot of lodging options in the area though. Where do people stay when skiing Owls Head?

TS
J

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
I stand corrected. The lift base area at Orford to the southeast of the main area seems somewhat lower than the main base. I don't think you can reach there from the summit.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
IIRC, I went to Orford once, and promptly decided Owl's Head was better. Jay Peak would be the choice if they were to still take Canadian Money at par (unless you are crossing the border with a friend from Peru - that may lead to a long delay while they meticulously search everything and question you about every cash receipt they find).

Last edited:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Owl's Head - right at the base. Bring your own party though. Or stay in Knowlton. For Jay, again at the base, but there are lots of family inns around the area. Suttton...lots of places on the access road and again the base of the mountain, but it's not totally associated with Sutton.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've skied both Owl's Head and Sutton as side trips when we were skiing and staying near Jay, although it's been quite a few years. At that time Owl's Head had a IIRC a $25.00 CDN. ticket on Monday and Tuesday which came to $19.00 or so US. Nice views of the lake. Sutton is farther, but bigger with nice glades and gladed trails featuring clumps of trees with cleared areas. Both would be nice changes from Holiday Valley or Bristol.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Holiday Valley is a nice little spot and on Cabin Fever Days very cost effective. Blue in Collingwood has definitely more variety.

TS
J

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
I've done many, many days at both Blue and HV. Both are okay for about a half day of fun, but way too small for a weekend trip.

TS
J

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
I've skied both Owl's Head and Sutton as side trips when we were skiing and staying near Jay, although it's been quite a few years. At that time Owl's Head had a IIRC a $25.00 CDN. ticket on Monday and Tuesday which came to $19.00 or so US. Nice views of the lake. Sutton is farther, but bigger with nice glades and gladed trails featuring clumps of trees with cleared areas. Both would be nice changes from Holiday Valley or Bristol.

How did you like Sutton and Owls Head compared to Jay? I skied one weekend at Jay maybe 15 years ago. It skied smaller than the 2000ft vertical since we didn't like waiting in line for the Tram. It was quite busy when we were there, and I was surprised how icy it was considering they had recent snow and were reporting over 300" on the year.

Unfortunately, my friend I went with wasn't interested in glade skiing so I didn't get the full Jay experience though.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We haven't been to Jay since the base expansion, but I don't believe they've changed the mountain much. The groomers can get icy and wind swept, but the glades and bump runs are usually worth the trip. I'm not a big tram fan at any resort-I'd rather be moving in chair rather than standing in line.

Owl's Head is smaller than either Jay or Sutton, but I'm sure you could amuse yourselves for a day or so. All the areas are close enough for day trips. Sounds like a fun trip!

Sponsor

Staff online