• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eastern Canada Eastern Townships Quebec for Mixed Group

RodneyBD

Hatfield made rain for L.A.
Skier
Plus you mention you are seeking to avoid crowds. I have skied Le Massif during the holidays. It can get pretty busy.

Smaller places such as Orford may be better. IDK.

I wanted to ski Le Massif back in the school bus days but it took me another few decades to get there.

What's up with Le Massif on weekends? So crowded that it gets skied off? And/or are lift lines an issue? With some advance planning can you shift around the mountain and avoid lines?

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have skied Le Massif about 7 or 8 days on 3 different occasions at least 2 years apart. Last time was just after New Years 2020. That year got off to such a promising start. sigh

Anyway, conditions have ranged from really good to not bad. Maybe some of the more popular runs get a bit skied off.

Lift lines are almost unavoidable. All trails lead to the same bottom area. There is one chair to skier's left, if memory serves, that has shorter lines. It also has fewer options for skiing down.

The lodge is always really full at lunchtime as well. Hard to find space to sit and eat. Probably could have made it a bit bigger. Plus it can be pretty cold there so everyone wants to take a break.

Incredible views, solid intermediate-advanced terrain, every skier should experience Le Massif at least once.

TS
J

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Just bumping this old thread I started way back at the start of COVID.

My family took a somewhat last minute trip to Montreal during the Ontario March Break.

The last day of the trip I talked my NSW into a ski day while she hit the spa. Mont Orford was the choice given there was a highly rated Nordic Spa nearby.

My 13yo daughter is an advancing beginner who's just starting to shed her timidness. My 15yo son just switched to snowboarding and closer to intermediate than beginner.

We headed straight to the "4km" green off the summit. The kids LOVED it. They really enjoyed the beginners park at the end. We lapped that a good 4 or 5 times before exploring elsewhere. We got on a few steeper pitches on some of the blue runs like "Slalom", but instead of panicking as she has in the past... My daughter went for it and asked to do it again (happy dad moment!).

Conditions were excellent considering there was a thaw and freeze cycle from the day/night prior. We never waited more than 30s in line, and usually skied on the lift.

The views of Owls Head and Jay Peak in the distance were really cool (see 1st pic and zoom in). In better conditions and without the kids, I'd have liked to sample some of the ungroomed steep terrain below the main lift.

I've thrown out the possibility of setting up a group trip with them and their friends' families for next winter. Both of them say they want to go back to Mont Orford! Given the low cost of tickets and lodging, along with the fun terrain... I'm going to try to make it happen! I just hope I can talk them into sampling some of the other areas!

Attachments

• PXL_20230313_160935404.jpg
    PXL_20230313_160935404.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230313_170948547.jpg
    PXL_20230313_170948547.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 4

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We try to go to Mont Orford every year and always have a blast. The run of the summit of awesome with amazing views. Slalom is a great run also. Delicious poutine at the pub. We usually stay at the Estrimont with the Scandinavian spas. Local snow shoeing nearby with local artwork hanging in the trees. The area is fantastic.

Sutton and owls head are also great. Next year we're going to Sutton and staying right there.

Sponsor

Staff online