• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
-Well we would have an awful lot of half dead women around.

-No, only if you spill a gallon in the car, then fall asleep lying across the backseat with the windows closed.
See, perfectly safe.

Apparently, ethyl acetate is used in non acetone solvent based nail polish remover. Also to decaffeinate coffee (non Swiss water process). Yikes.

But, for the glam polish, metallic, one wants the big guns -acetone. But not for fake nails because acetone takes those off. See, this is why one has others do it in the strip mall.

Maybe @Marker, a chemist I think, could enlighten us on the subject. Plus tell us how long we have to live when the open can of acetone falls over just as you fall asleep in the pickup truck bed with all the cap (topper) windows shut.
I think the key word is "Pure" can't believe that any nail polish remover is "Pure" Acetone.

James

Out There
Instructor
I think the key word is "Pure" can't believe that any nail polish remover is "Pure" Acetone.
That's why they're only half dead.

So, you want to always keep the two halves apart.

See, it's like uranium 235. Or Plutonium. If you have two chunks that are below critical mass, but together they make up critical mass, if they come together they will become critical and release lots and lots of radiation. If you do it extremly rapidly it blows up, aka an atom bomb. The first scenario happened with one of the scientists from Los Alamos who had the two halves separated with a screwdriver. It slipped, the mass went critical, he got them apart. He died of radiation poisoning within a few days I think.

Back to nail polish....

Ok, this patent was from 1988 when, incredibly, people tented in neon jackets roamed the slopes with ghastly 205cm skis.
---------------
Abstract:
"A nailpolish remover composition is disclosed. This composition comprises 30-60% acetone, 10-35% ethyl acetate, 5-20% ethyl alcohol, 5-20% water and 3-15% glycerin, wherein the percentages are on a volume basis, and the ethyl alcohol solubilizes the glycerin in the acetone."

"Nailpolish removers in general are based on acetone. The simplest and least expensive composition contains about 90% acetone and 10% water. Acetone, however, has the undesirable effect of drying out fingernails. Furthermore, acetone penetrates through the skin and is known to be harmful to the liver."
-----------
https://www.google.com/patents/US4735798

Gee, sounds inifinitely safer...

Btw, it is extremely common to use a 50% Acetone 50% water mixture to clean spray guns. Often people have a respirator on while doing it. Often they do not.

Note to spray painters:
Coordinate spray gun cleaning with those needing nail polish removed. Film this with cute female wearing glam polish. Post on youtube. Receive money.

Note to @Philpug and @Tricia : Use this as revenue for site. I hereby donate my liscensing fee for the idea to the site.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
-" So, OSHA is killing us? "-KG

Isn't the Occupational Safety and Health Administration suppose to prevent that?

No, they prevent accidents. If OSHA is killing us it would be intentional, thus not of concern to them.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Isn't the Occupational Safety and Health Administration suppose to prevent that?

Sometimes I wondered. :cool:

Just the way the two quotes lined up. Real Men/Asian folks and OSHA/No OSHA-

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Back to drills, I like the quiver approach. No manly man can just have one drill.

For corded I have
Milwaukee 1/2" Hole Shooter with 90 degree reduction accessory, lots of big bits and hole saws from 3/4" to 5".
Dewalt 3/8 general purpose, built in plumb level vial
Milwaukee close quarters right angle drill
No name bench top 1/2" chuck drill press

Cordless
Dewalt 18V (along with 5 3/8 skill saw and sawz all)
Hand-me-down 9.6V Sears drill
Bit and brace

Haven't had battery issues to speak of. 1st generation Dewalt batteries lasted along time, I'm on the second set.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Maybe @Marker, a chemist I think, could enlighten us on the subject. Plus tell us how long we have to live when the open can of acetone falls over just as you fall asleep in the pickup truck bed with all the cap (topper) windows shut.

I can get all the pure acetone, ethyl acetate, ethanol, toluene, etc I need for my work, but we have hoods and ventilated enclosures so we don't have to breath that stuff! We can work with much worse quite safely.

antigonowhere

Booting up
Skier
Seconded on the DW batteries. My first drill gave out before the battery did.

I find I generally reach for cordless for everything unless doing drywall, which I hope to NOT do any more, or at least for quite some time. I use some old corded behemoth to mix concrete...

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Just an aside, I was revamping my workshop and going through tools... and did a mental survey of what I use on a regular basis and it was mostly twisting implements - mainly screwdrivers and hex/torx keys. Like 50% or more. I drilled lots of pilot holes for screws and anchors but otherwise didn't need any indoor power tools for years of household maintenance.

I threw a couple bushels of new or slightly used tools out to the garage for craigslist and donations... and spent $100 I earned from selling some of it towards new sets of better quality keys and bits.

antigonowhere

Booting up
Skier
Torx. An American thing I hope never catches on up here (I imagine you guys feel the same about Robertson)

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Got a few dewalt cordless and a few cord drills. The cordless right angle drill can be a huge time saver. A southern gal I knew said this about her handgun - "It's like a punch bowl, you don't need it very often but when you do it's nice to have around." Same for a right angle drill.

RE: safe acetone - While at walmart buying a battery I picked up some paint thinner. When I used it to clean a brush I realized it was some milky less volatile style of thinner. To my surprise it actually cleaned the brush pretty well.

Robertson bits aren't too bad and around here I've only seen them used for deck screws.

Torx are a pain. Every 10 years or so I'll pick up one of those multi bit sets on sale which include torx bits.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Torx. An American thing I hope never catches on up here (I imagine you guys feel the same about Robertson)

Praise the Lord for Torx head screw for the auto industry. Much more positive than Philip.
Square drive (Robertson) - wood working, general carpentry. Great on trim heads. The old #1 Philip trim head really sucked.

The cordless right angle drill can be a huge time saver.

Have a few smaller right angle drills/impact drivers floating around. Get to use one every two to three year. Don't think about them much.
When I think of right angle drills. This comes to mind more often than not.

Right Angle Drill - Makita.jpg

Beef, when you need it.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
For defers like me, if money/practicality matters then a nice light 12v drill for normal things is great, and have a heavy duty 1/2 corded drill (preferably vintage) for the few times you need the horsepower. Why spend $$$ on a heavy duty cordless that sits and always has dead batteries the year you need to use it?

If I were a timberframer I'd probably feel differently.

Seriously I wish they made a Yankee Driver with a modern chuck that took 1/4" bits, I should investigate.

I have a lot of newer items that use Torx and I like them, much more positive than Phillips.

Last edited:

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
Praise the Lord for Torx head screw for the auto industry. Much more positive than Philip.
Square drive (Robertson) - wood working, general carpentry. Great on trim heads. The old #1 Philip trim head really sucked.

Interesting trivia, Henry Ford really wanted to use square drive on his cars. But Robertson, having been scammed out of his patent once already and had to spent a fortune to get it back, was extremely wary and eventually refused.

Torx is fine on small screws, try to take off a T55 that has been bathing in salt for 10 years, ain't gonna happen.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Torx is fine on small screws, try to take off a T55 that has been bathing in salt for 10 years, ain't gonna happen.

Impact guns and top quality bits are a must.
Liquid wrench and a acetylene torch also help. Just not at the same time. :eek: :D

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Interesting trivia, Henry Ford really wanted to use square drive on his cars. But Robertson, having been scammed out of his patent once already and had to spent a fortune to get it back, was extremely wary and eventually refused.

As a 1930 Ford owner, I can tell you Henry used a fair bit of square head bolts and slotted screws. And nails.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Someone told me a story that GM started using Torx because the employees were taking the slot and philips screwdrivers home and they had to keep replacing them. Since torx was so rarely used that the employees would not steal them. I do not know or think it is true, but people will steal just about anything that is not nailed down.

Sponsor

Staff online