• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Body Armour for sking - men

TS
T

Therusselling

Booting up
Skier
Cheers chap, agree with comments. Maybe just shoulder pads would be sufficient for what I'm doing now on the slopes.

Reason for just the shoulder pads is that falling from over 2 meters height onto your shoulder hurts (as it does currently does).

Any recommendations for just shoulder pads? Like These

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
The only upper body injuries I remember seeing among people I ski with include a high speed collision caused by someone who did not look uphill when his trail crossed a steep fast run. The woman skiing responsibly down that wide run got hurt badly including a lacerated liver. Some sort of armor covering the trunk would have been a huge benefit. And I saw a dislocated shoulder caused by a solo crash. Shoulder armor might have greatly reduced or prevented that injury.

The company D3O has some very interesting padding products. They make a polymer that is somewhat soft but stiffens under impact to widen the area that gets the load. One of their products is the secret sauce used by Renoun in their skis. D3O doesn't make the armor, just the padding. A few of the products: https://www.d3o.com/our-products/sports-protection/snow-sports/

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The only upper body injuries I remember seeing among people I ski with include a high speed collision caused by someone who did not look uphill when his trail crossed a steep fast run. The woman skiing responsibly down that wide run got hurt badly including a lacerated liver. Some sort of armor covering the trunk would have been a huge benefit. And I saw a dislocated shoulder caused by a solo crash. Shoulder armor might have greatly reduced or prevented that injury.

The company D3O has some very interesting padding products. They make a polymer that is somewhat soft but stiffens under impact to widen the area that gets the load. One of their products is the secret sauce used by Renoun in their skis. D3O doesn't make the armor, just the padding. A few of the products: https://www.d3o.com/our-products/sports-protection/snow-sports/

Yes, D30 sounds good. I have back, shoulder and elbow protectors in my motorcycling jacket. Whether they work or not tho, luckily I do not know, never tested them but they are way comfier to wear than other stuff

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How much protection is it really going to provide in an impact?
Fortunately I haven’t had to find out. I started wearing it in 2012 after some buffoon skied across a closed race area and succeeded in taking me out mid-run, wrecking my shoulder. When I got back on snow after two surgeries I figured it couldn’t hurt so have been wearing it ever since. At this stage it’s become a kind of talisman!

wnyskier

Out on the slopes
Skier
How much protection is it really going to provide in an impact? More curious than skeptical. I’ve heard of more people wearing back protectors outside of racing or extreme/big line skiing, but I’m not sold yet. That said, for years I never wore a helmet outside of racing, now I can’t imagine skiing without one. I could be convinced on a back protector, just not sure what it’s going to offer me for recreational skiing. I already wear a slim camelback under my jacket - that has to offer some protection, right :ogcool:
They work.

Example 1: Got high sided freeskiing on my GS race skis. Expected a huge hit, instead, probably 80% of the impact was absorbed by the D3O.

Example 2: My daughter got hit by a meat missile while making SL turns. Straight into her back, blew her out of her skis. Got up and walked away

Example 3: Buddy fell free skiing and slid backwards off the trail and into a tree. No damage.

I wear a spine protector every day on skis. A well fit spine protector is warm, comfortable and does not inhibit movement.

Allow me a short rant / plug: For all those racers, parents, and coaches out there, Make it mandatory that your athletes wear spine protectors at all times. 90% of their time on skis is not on a hill fenced with B-net or closed to an unpredictable public.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had a conversation with a snowboarder today in the lift line (I'm a patroller). He was bragging about the seven concussions he's had since he learned to snowboard and still doesn't wear a helmet. I just shook my helmeted head at him and turned away.

I've been seriously considering a spine protector in the last few years, simply because like my helmeted head an injury to the spine can be life changing and I rather like how my current life is. I have the same mentality with MTB, I wear a helmet and gloves on every ride, knee pads on nearly every ride, and elbows pads when I'm planning a more rowdy ride route.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
After breaking a rib in a collision about 10 days ago I've pondered if a lightweight "exoskeleton" piece armor would have helped prevent the break. I'm thinking probably. I may be looking into something.

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
They work.

Example 1: Got high sided freeskiing on my GS race skis. Expected a huge hit, instead, probably 80% of the impact was absorbed by the D3O.

Example 2: My daughter got hit by a meat missile while making SL turns. Straight into her back, blew her out of her skis. Got up and walked away

Example 3: Buddy fell free skiing and slid backwards off the trail and into a tree. No damage.

I wear a spine protector every day on skis. A well fit spine protector is warm, comfortable and does not inhibit movement.

Allow me a short rant / plug: For all those racers, parents, and coaches out there, Make it mandatory that your athletes wear spine protectors at all times. 90% of their time on skis is not on a hill fenced with B-net or closed to an unpredictable public.
I followed this advice from @wnyskier and got a back protector for myself, and for my kids (8 and 4) as well. Told them that they are Ninja Turtles, and now they always want to wear the protectors.

As for myself, I had a fall at Mammoth in may when I slid down the mountain about 800 feet, rolled from my stomach to my back and then back to stomach a couple of times. Don't know what would have happened without a protector, but with one, I didn't get a single bruise. This is the one I'm wearing: https://www.sweetprotection.com/us/en/back-protector-race-vest-mens-true-blacksnow-white/

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Been skiing for 61 years. Never used nor needed any body armour and I ski more cautiously now than I did in my youth.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm gonna get me a pair of Earl Campbell sized late 70s football shoulder pads and charge the next lift line I see...will let you know what happens.

Seriously, though, I was skiing with a German friend about my age, mid 50s, and he always wears a back protector. Like a lot of Germans he skies fast, fluidly and really aggressively, and I've never seen him crash, let alone lose his composure. I asked him about it and he said "of course I wear back protection, doesn't everyone?"

The only real injuries I've had skiing were from catching an edge and high-siding onto my hip, so I'm probably going to get a pair of padded shorts (after my unrelated and expected THR happens later this year) at least. I adapted to helmets so can probably make armor work. At least it's not too expensive and should last a lifetime.

TS
T

Therusselling

Booting up
Skier
The comments here are certainly very interesting, it appears some people are taking the risk adverse approach and others see that armour and additional protection isn't completely necessary as they've never had any major incidents yet however that may not be the case when they do have an incident. Lots of people seem to be in favour of always wearing a black split which is interesting.

For me personally I do already wear a pair of padded shorts as I have two screws in my hips so wanted some extra protection around that area, my last ski trip (last week) I landed on my left shoulder and for the rest of the week I couldn't even lift mu skis with that arm as it was so painful, still a little bit painful now but getting better - this is the reason I started this thread and I'm still wondering whether an upper body protective top would be the all rounded sensible idea for me, so shoulder protection, ribs and back??

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The comments here are certainly very interesting, it appears some people are taking the risk adverse approach and others see that armour and additional protection isn't completely necessary as they've never had any major incidents yet however that may not be the case when they do have an incident. Lots of people seem to be in favour of always wearing a black split which is interesting.

For me personally I do already wear a pair of padded shorts as I have two screws in my hips so wanted some extra protection around that area, my last ski trip (last week) I landed on my left shoulder and for the rest of the week I couldn't even lift mu skis with that arm as it was so painful, still a little bit painful now but getting better - this is the reason I started this thread and I'm still wondering whether an upper body protective top would be the all rounded sensible idea for me, so shoulder protection, ribs and back??

Personal protection, as the name implies is something only you can say yes or no to. People’s opinion should bear no weight in your decision making process whatsoever. Do what you feel is best for you.

Sinecure

Everyone's fav Jewish Santa
Instructor
When I snowboard raced I work upper body armor. That included a back protector plus the full arm protection. Also padded shorts.

I have a hip replacement and two knee replacements. I still wear Asterisk knee braces but more for protection against getting hit by others. I don't wear back protectors or upper body armor because its just too warm for everyday use. Plus I don't huck myself off stuff much.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
After breaking a rib in a collision about 10 days ago I've pondered if a lightweight "exoskeleton" piece armor would have helped prevent the break. I'm thinking probably. I may be looking into something.
I just dislocated a rib last weekend so I'm thinking the same thing. Have you found anything other than what QB's wear?

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have used back protectors in various forms for motorcycling for many years. I picked up a combination ski sweater / back protector from Dainese last month. It fits nicely under my coat, doesn’t look crazy stupid and I am liking it (HP Core S+ is the model)
They also offer them in grey.
go to Dainese.com
Use sale code EXTRA15

IMG_4777.jpeg
IMG_5122.jpeg
IMG_4776.jpeg
IMG_4775.jpeg

Last edited:

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
Also to the OP.
Spyder used to make a very lightweight set of shoulder and arm pads called the “bashor”
IMG_5123.jpeg
you wear these under your sweater or race suit. I see them on flea bay every now and then.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I just dislocated a rib last weekend so I'm thinking the same thing. Have you found anything other than what QB's wear?
There's stuff out there but I haven't commited.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have used back protectors in various forms for motorcycling for many years. I picked up a combination ski sweater / back protector from Dainese last month. It fits nicely under my coat, doesn’t look crazy stupid and I am liking it (HP Core S+ is the model)
They also offer them in grey.
go to Dainese.com
Use sale code EXTRA15

View attachment 223019 View attachment 223020 View attachment 223018 View attachment 223017

Thanks for posting this, I am probably buying the grey one.Looking at Dainese site-they seem to have some very decent stuff, well done.
How heavy is this? Is it warm enough to wear it under a shell jacket with only a baselayer under it?

Sponsor