• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Body Armour for sking - men

Therusselling

Booting up
Skier
Hi All,
Being rather tall and having screws in my hips I already have a padded shorts which I strap onto me when I'm skiing for added protection from any falls and bumps. I landed on my shoulder recently and from my height falling down it's hurt quite a lot, most likely just a sprain.

It has made me think about getting some upper body Armour, also someone I was having small talk with on a chair lift last week said he's always worn body Armour since he started skiing and he's been skiing for years.

What is everyone's thoughts on this: Upper body Armour ?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I mean, I personally think it's overkill but that's me. If it makes you more comfortable and confident go for it. Just be aware of the overconfidence factor and doing more risky things. Might be counter productive in that case.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi All,
Being rather tall and having screws in my hips I already have a padded shorts which I strap onto me when I'm skiing for added protection from any falls and bumps. I landed on my shoulder recently and from my height falling down it's hurt quite a lot, most likely just a sprain.

It has made me think about getting some upper body Armour, also someone I was having small talk with on a chair lift last week said he's always worn body Armour since he started skiing and he's been skiing for years.

What is everyone's thoughts on this: Upper body Armour ?

Nothing wrong if you can tolerate it. This one will add significant bulk and may not be super comfy.
I have this one https://www.xspo.com/komperdell-armour-vest-unisex but seldom wear it as I find it restrictive.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I get marketing material from Dainese. They sell that stuff. You might find something here

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My take is learn to ski with a bit less aggression and learn how to fall.
We have to remember we are doing it for fun. If you are participating in racing then go for the armor. Otherwise, technique and tactic goes a long way.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wear the POC VPD 2.0 jacket pretty much every day. It’s not a question of skiing less aggressively or learning how to fall as much as it’s some measure of protection against being run into by some out-of-control meat missile. Places are packed with these nutcases.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Love the Dainese..
Well they are kinda the best in motorcycle gear…;)

But you know what I found-wearing too much protective gear is counterproductive-it restricts your movements and actually increases the chances for a crash, so when riding a motorcycle I only go for lightly padded kevlar jeans and an Icon jacket with soft protectors-much comfier than my Dainese racing stuff.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wear the POC VPD 2.0 jacket pretty much every day. It’s not a question of skiing less aggressively or learning how to fall as much as it’s some measure of protection against being run into by some out-of-control meat missile. Places are packed with these nutcases.
How does it fit?Did you size up or wear your normal size?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Well they are kinda the best in motorcycle gear…;)

But you know what I found-wearing too much protective gear is counterproductive-it restricts your movements and actually increases the chances for a crash, so when riding a motorcycle I only go for lightly padded kevlar jeans and an Icon jacket with soft protectors-much comfier than my Dainese racing stuff.
I have a Dainese Jacket with back protector insert that I bought to use while waiting for my Dainese custom suit. Later, I decided to get some pants to go with the jacket (pants are too big for me :( ) for those occasions when I rode somewhere and would be able to take off my jacket for a while. High quality products. The suit was very tight fitting, and despite being made to fit skin-tight from measurements, I bought a back protector to wear INSIDE it.

Back in the day I just rode with a helmet leather Jacket (started out in a jean jacket :geek: ) and gloves. I didn't consider a back protector necessary.

I recently (about two years ago), found out that my lists of previous injuries includes a fractured T6. Who knew? I still ski without additional protection, but thinking more about it now. Having a previous injury makes you think more about protection.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wear the POC VPD 2.0 jacket pretty much every day.
How much protection is it really going to provide in an impact? More curious than skeptical. I’ve heard of more people wearing back protectors outside of racing or extreme/big line skiing, but I’m not sold yet. That said, for years I never wore a helmet outside of racing, now I can’t imagine skiing without one. I could be convinced on a back protector, just not sure what it’s going to offer me for recreational skiing. I already wear a slim camelback under my jacket - that has to offer some protection, right :ogcool:

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Obviously racing requires a helmet and back protector, as well as various limb armor, depending on event.

Whether racing or free-skiing, I always wear this: https://shredoptics.com/products/flexi-back-protector-vest-zip

When GS race training w/o a speed suit on, I usually add this: https://www.spyder.com/products/mens-bashor-top-race-armor-old-black

A GS speed suit can also be used as a base layer--like padded long johns, as it has armor in all the right spots.

At the end of the race season in Spring 2021, I was still in my GS gear/padding watching near the start of the Juniors course when an out of control skier smashed into me. I was hit so hard, the bindings sheared off the skis (probably saving my knee). The back padding, helmet, and arm/thigh padding likely saved me from more significant injury.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

OP's other threads and the hip implant make me think this is not attainable in the short (read: next 90 ski days) term.

Count me in for - have OP wear as much armour as he likes.

But you know what I found-wearing too much protective gear is counterproductive-it restricts your movements and actually increases the chances for a crash,

I actually completely agree with you - in a skiing context, not even going the moto route.

I also think very very few of the protection options spoken of here would give OP more protection in a slow-speed shoulder hitting fall compared to even the cheapest hex foam T-shirt.

I think OP really wants a nice D3o jacket rated for MTB use.

Sorry wrong link, meant this one:

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OP's other threads and the hip implant make me think this is not attainable in the short (read: next 90 ski days) term.

Count me in for - have OP wear as much armour as he likes.

I actually completely agree with you - in a skiing context, not even going the moto route.

I also think very very few of the protection options spoken of here would give OP more protection in a slow-speed shoulder hitting fall compared to even the cheapest hex foam T-shirt.

I think OP really wants a nice D3o jacket rated for MTB use.

Sorry wrong link, meant this one:

Don’t get me wrong, this is not fat ski on groomers, i have nothing against body armour in skiing. I have a vest too, just wear it very seldom.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Don’t get me wrong, this is not fat ski on groomers, i have nothing against body armour in skiing. I have a vest too, just wear it very seldom.

I don't think I have you wrong - I have a collection of vests, jackets and hex foam shirts.

I still think low-speed impacts of the kind OP is concerned about are best served by MTB gear.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How much protection is it really going to provide in an impact? More curious than skeptical. I’ve heard of more people wearing back protectors outside of racing or extreme/big line skiing, but I’m not sold yet. That said, for years I never wore a helmet outside of racing, now I can’t imagine skiing without one. I could be convinced on a back protector, just not sure what it’s going to offer me for recreational skiing. I already wear a slim camelback under my jacket - that has to offer some protection, right :ogcool:

Guess this is one of those things that you do not need in 99.99% of the situations but in that 0.01% it saves your life.
Trick is to wear it the exact moment you will need it, which is a bit tricky.. :ogbiggrin:

Sponsor

Staff online