• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe Grump never tightens his boots enough to squish his feet. Or he never gets cold feet.

Was I supposed to squish my feet?
Sorry didn't get that memo.

If I squish my feet, will it get warmer?
Hmmm, something to think about.

I like to tell people I stand on my own two feet because I am short. :D

gerathlete

Booting up
Skier
Why did I start?

Great question. I have always loved watching skiing in movies and I am an outdoorsman. I have worked outdoors my whole life, but in my younger years could not take a chance getting injured, plus I was a serious adrenaline junkie which upped the odds of injury. So I am older and less of a junkie, still love the outdoors and while an injury would not be good with regards to my job, I could work it out with my boss if it happens. BTW, @Mrs. 53 told me if I broke my leg today she was still going to Deer Valley in December :nono: At least I know where I stand. But, back to why I started... I like doing things with my wife, she goes/tags along with me on fly fishing trips to The Keys, we do some competitive pistol shooting together, but she does those activities to be with me... She has been a skier since she was young, but has taken some breaks through life.... I wanted to learn to ski to do things with Betsy. But what’s not to like, it is a beautiful sport, very spiritual and I am BIG into spiritual things (fly fishing, Archery, golf) and skiing fits in well with that type of thing. So here I am, 55 years old and super excited to be learning something new. Ahhh, learning something new... I love to have goals, I will tirelessly work to achieve a goal. I live for working towards said goal... It is a character flaw :roflmao:

So there you go, that is why I am becoming a skier.

I have a grand total of 6 days on snow and now 1 day on the carpet, so I am a newbie :yahoo:
We have several things in common. My now wife introduced me to skiing when I was 58. Many many lessons and years later we probably average 50-70 days a year at home and overseas and are sufficiently compatible in our abilities and preferences that we really enjoy skiing together. Hope that works for you too. Enjoy the journey.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
Very cool thread. My wife has decided to learn to ski alpine this year (she already does XC) and (I hope) for a similar motivation. At least that's what she said -- she'd like to ski with me and our our children. Her goal is to be able to ski any blue run. We're going to Val Gardena in Feb so that will be her proving ground. So far she's done an easy blue or two...

It's really interesting for me to watch her learn -- and how different older (she's 42) people learn skiing than younger people (ie. our children, who just are not fazed by anything). I suspect the aging brain has a lot of built-in "stops" against risk-taking, making the barriers to learning far more psychological than physical.

Your speed is impressive -- my wife is terrified of falling, so she holds herself so stiffly that she's exhausted after 3-4 long runs of snowplow/christies/simple parallel. How can I get her to relax and allow speed, gravity and terrain to help? When she does fall it seems like the consequences are much worse -- over Christmas she nearly broke her pinkie and tweaked her wrist. Whereas when I fall I'm always conscious of my poles/skis and can usually pop right back up with a laugh. I have to remind myself that I've been skiing for almost 40 years...

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Very cool thread. My wife has decided to learn to ski alpine this year (she already does XC) and (I hope) for a similar motivation. At least that's what she said -- she'd like to ski with me and our our children. Her goal is to be able to ski any blue run. We're going to Val Gardena in Feb so that will be her proving ground. So far she's done an easy blue or two...

It's really interesting for me to watch her learn -- and how different older (she's 42) people learn skiing than younger people (ie. our children, who just are not fazed by anything). I suspect the aging brain has a lot of built-in "stops" against risk-taking, making the barriers to learning far more psychological than physical.

Your speed is impressive -- my wife is terrified of falling, so she holds herself so stiffly that she's exhausted after 3-4 long runs of snowplow/christies/simple parallel. How can I get her to relax and allow speed, gravity and terrain to help? When she does fall it seems like the consequences are much worse -- over Christmas she nearly broke her pinkie and tweaked her wrist. Whereas when I fall I'm always conscious of my poles/skis and can usually pop right back up with a laugh. I have to remind myself that I've been skiing for almost 40 years...

@Bolder
I am glad you wife is taking it up. I am guessing it is more difficult for us older folks. Skiing is inherently dangerous, and I think psychologically older people have more fear, so it is natural. Speed is the same as dealing with any other emotion, slowly increase it until it is barely comfortable, or better yet just a bit uncomfortable, and each time it it will get easier to go the previously uncomfortable speed. Anytime I feel too much speed, I take a wider turn to diverge from the fall line to slow myself down a bit. Don’t rush her, be glad she is out and doing things with you. Only she can understand her comfort level, so don’t push her, she will know when it is time to step up in terrain. And.... Snowplowing is very physically taxing, as her skis become more parallel the physical strain of skiing gets easier, at least it has for me.

Best of luck

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

If your wife is not already doing so, then I strongly recommend ski lessons to fast track the learning AND the following is some very good advice:

I am paraphrasing, but a sign at Lake Louise says that it is more cost effective to hire a ski instructor than teach your significant other yourself AND pay a divorce lawyer.:duck:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a husband to teach his wife how to ski.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@DanoT
@Monique

Without hijacking my own thread, I think it is typically a very bad idea for a spouse to teach the other. I hired a fly casting instructor to teach Betsy how to fly cast. I would be comfortable teaching her golf. Beside her telling me to keep my hands out front, she refrains from teaching me skiing.

Normally it is a very bad idea

James

Out There
Instructor
Hah just saw this thread, fun!
When are you going back out on snow?
I would have you ditch the poles. It started with the dinosaur arms on the indoor carpet and has continued. All your tension is being held there and it also encourages you to use the whole body to rotate.

How do you feel about the indoor carpet?
I'm with @fatbob on this I think. It appears to encourage some not so good habits to make it work. Even with Chemmy Alcott.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
...My wife has decided to learn to ski alpine this year.
....So far she's done an easy blue or two...
....my wife is terrified of falling, so she holds herself so stiffly that she's exhausted after 3-4 long runs
....How can I get her to relax and allow speed, gravity and terrain to help?
....I've been skiing for almost 40 years...

What others have said. Buy her lessons.
Do NOT take her onto blue terrain.
DO NOT try to "get her to relax and allow speed, gravity and terrain to help." Please do not do that.

She needs to work on her form on non-threatening terrain, at very slow speeds.
She is not yet ready to "allow speed and gravity and terrain to help".
As a 40-year skier, you can't know that.
You probably learned as a child, so you learned the way you see your own children learning, without fear.
You haven't experienced learning to ski as an adult, which is often riddled with fear management.
Speed and pitch cause fear and the rigidity in adults; they don't "help".
An instructor will know how to lead her to higher skills and more confidence.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hah just saw this thread, fun!
When are you going back out on snow?
I would have you ditch the poles. It started with the dinosaur arms on the indoor carpet and has continued. All your tension is being held there and it also encourages you to use the whole body to rotate.

How do you feel about the indoor carpet?
I'm with @fatbob on this I think. It appears to encourage some not so good habits to make it work. Even with Chemmy Alcott.

@James
I am on a three week work trip, in Johannesburg this week, but in the UAE the next two, my next snow adventure will be at Ski Dubai. I brought my boots and helmet, figured why not, it will be a box to tick and I will have a bit of fun.

Next ski specific trip is Vail Feb. 3-10, then Deer Valley again March 7-13.

Looking forward to Dubai tho to work on a few things. Agreed, my arms look terrible. I cringe when I watch the videos, it looks nothing like it feels :(

But, improvement takes time, especially for an old guy like me :roflmao:

Bottom line, I am loving the journey.

James

Out There
Instructor
It's not how they look it's the effect. Ok, imagine you're walking or riding down the golf course holding that much tension in your upper body in between shots. It would have a serious effect. Now golf obviously uses those parts, but even the effect mentally and in the legs/torso is a lot.

Just stop using poles for awhile. The only use they serve now is liftlines and bindings. Shake your arms around to loosen them up.

Well Chemmy Alcott skied in Dubai also!
Here she is at the Dubai ski area taking her clothes off.
(It may not be Dubai)

Last edited:

CrystalRose

Putting on skis
Skier

I find I ski better without the poles (newbie also). But my question is what do you do with them? Leave em in the car, with the lifties? Usually I tuck them under one arm, but that might not be safe. I like to use them on flats...

James

Out There
Instructor
I find I ski better without the poles (newbie also). But my question is what do you do with them? Leave em in the car, with the lifties? Usually I tuck them under one arm, but that might not be safe. I like to use them on flats...
Flats- learn to skate. It's an important skill that pays off in turning.
Poles- you could leave them down at the lift or lodge. If you do have them, you can always grip them in the middle, so they are just horizontal. That is more freeing than trying something weird to carry them.

Gripping a pole handle has an odd effect at all levels of skiing. Even for advanced skiers it's good to hold the poles in the middle or ski without poles sometimes.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
If you're not going to use your poles, no reason to bring 'em, right?

If you don't want to commit quite that hard, you could just put them in a ski rack. I've left them against the wall at mid mountain warming huts.

I don't think tucking under an arm would improve your ski technique. You really need them gone.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@James

Interesting thought you gave me about griping the poles. In golf, 90% of the amateurs grip the club too tight, and this tightens the muscles all the way up the arms and into the shoulders. This causes a serious decrease in elasticity and speed. I suspect the gripping of the poles, If too tight, would tense up the body as you alluded to in a post above. I will make it a point to check my grip pressure in Dubai. It is very easy. In golf you should grip the club like you are holding an egg, or shaking hands with a frail old woman and are afraid you might hurt her hand.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
@Started at 53, did your first lessons involve skiing without poles?
If not, ditch the poles altogether while in Dubai. If yes, ditch them anyway. Leave them in the hotel.
You don't need them.
If you think you need them, then your first runs down that short indoor slope will reveal that you don't.
And your balance will improve 1,000%. Like magic.

This balance improvement happens with my first day adult skiers while on their first run, half way down.
At first they can't believe I'm taking the poles away. Then they thank me.
Why does this happen? Because, without poles, they start using their feet and legs to ski.
Something about the poles keeps people numb to the feet and legs; don't know why, just that it's true.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
The problem becomes when they refuse to give them up. Children or adults. They're like a blankey for a child.

Poles are a real Catch 22. When you actually get to a skiing level where they are useful, people want a treatise on exactly what they are for. Saying theyre for timing, moving you into the turn just doesn't cut it.

I think, seriously, you could probably earn a phd on the subject. Delving into all the issues. It's quite complicated. Consider that in gs racing for example, you basically never pole plant. You have to tap behind you or your arm would be ripped out at 50mph. You could easily use a start line wher you are pulling on a bar instead of using poles. But, they would not ski as well. Hyper carvers usually have no poles though.

Early on though, they may stabilize your hands- or more common, lead to problems.
Leading to that other little known Bob Marley song... "No poles, no pole problems.."

CrystalRose

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for the tips everyone. I like the pole-free sensation, my skiing improved so much when I didn't have them. But...but...the flats! (Sigh) I guess I'll put on my big girl pants and struggle to the lift lines for a while and learn how to skate. That's gonna to be a sight to see:D.

Anyway not trying to steal your thread @Started at 53 ogwink.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online