• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Chic-Chocs, anyone?

We're looking for somewhere to go over Christmas. Off from 21st- New Years. Hmmm...a long, long ways to go, but should avoid the holiday crowds. Just how cold does it get up there anyway?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd like to get up to the Chic Chocs sometime, maybe more towards the spring. Wonder if it's a rough drive from Quebec to the mountains. To break it up I'd go to Jay, Massif, Chic Chocs, Sugarloaf, and home. 1500 miles

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
I'd like to get up to the Chic Chocs sometime, maybe more towards the spring. Wonder if it's a rough drive from Quebec to the mountains. To break it up I'd go to Jay, Massif, Chic Chocs, Sugarloaf, and home. 1500 miles
I drove from Val D'irene to MSA last spring and I've camped in the Gaspe (Matane to Pabos) The roads are good 2 lane paved in the Gaspe region but last spring in the amqui area out to Matane on the coast I ran into a lot hard packed snow on the road. I have good winters on a mazda 3 and it wasn't a problem. From the chic choc region back to SL is 10 hrs whatever of the two google recommended routes. I've driven through the Matapedia river route last Winter and it is way more beautiful then heading back west through Quebec into Maine

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have skied tucks close to half dozen times. Latest was about 5 years ago. That was the only time I was able to ski the Sherbourne all the down. More enjoyable that way. I wait till good corn snow, April May time frame. Need to be able to jog three miles or your not in shape to make it worth it. If you can jog 5 miles, you will have enough in the tank for more than one run.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Still cold at stowe but lots of soft snow either left or blown around, easily the best skiing so far this year.

longer video to come.

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
I just booked a trip to experience some east coast skiing for the first time. I'll be there the first week of January.
The Tahoe area conditions have been less than stellar and the short and long range forecasts aren't looking all that great here either. Am I correct that your current start to the season and forecasts are looking better?
Since I have an Epic Pass and a Mountain Collective I plan to ski Stowe and Sugarbush for sure. I'm also open to other possibilities.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
If I was in your ski boots, I would plan:

Two days at Stowe
Two days at Sugarbush
One day at Smuggler's Notch
One day at Mad River Glen

Those are four of what many would consider the top resorts in the northeast, they are fairly close to each other (under an hour drive), they are very different and they will have great conditions (MRG being perhaps the only ? - always is).

The Epic and Mountain Collective passes won't get you much out here other than at Stowe and Sugarbush so not much leverage left beyond those two resorts to use your passes.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I just booked a trip to experience some east coast skiing for the first time. I'll be there the first week of January.
The Tahoe area conditions have been less than stellar and the short and long range forecasts aren't looking all that great here either. Am I correct that your current start to the season and forecasts are looking better?
Since I have an Epic Pass and a Mountain Collective I plan to ski Stowe and Sugarbush for sure. I'm also open to other possibilities.

Just be aware that when you get to Stowe you'll have to exchange your Epic pass for a Stowe Evolution Card. Stowe's RFID readers don't accept Epic passes yet.

Basically, stop off at any ticket window... don't go straight to the lifts.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Where do you go in the chic chocs? I went to Val D'irene last March and it was a lot of fun but did it as part of a geezer tour to MSA coming from Nova Scotia.

I think I remember a MeatHead (the Ski The East people) film segment in the Chic-Chocs. It was backcountry, though, Wonder if there is any lift served?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If I was in your ski boots, I would plan:

Two days at Stowe
Two days at Sugarbush
One day at Smuggler's Notch
One day at Mad River Glen

Those are four of what many would consider the top resorts in the northeast, they are fairly close to each other (under an hour drive), they are very different and they will have great conditions (MRG being perhaps the only ? - always is).

The Epic and Mountain Collective passes won't get you much out here other than at Stowe and Sugarbush so not much leverage left beyond those two resorts to use your passes.

Or you could do a day at Jay then drive an hour to Stowe and follow LKLA's guidance.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was doing some Chic Choc research online yesterday and I found a smallish lift served area. There is also heli, cat and snowmobile skiing available. There was one lodge that had 3 nights lodging with 2 days of cat and snowmobile skiing including meals for around $720US per person. A bit less if you are willing to share a room with more than 2.

http://www.chic-chac.ca/en/skiing-packages/pow_wow/

Looks like abut a 13 hour drive for us. Could easily break it up with some stateside and Quebec skiing on the way up and back. Probably won't go, but thinking about it. Sure would be fun adventure!

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Always a crapshoot here in the east because we tend to get thaw/freeze cycles. This guy from Mad River Glen updates his forecasts every few days. He is sometimes overly optimistic: http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/

SImilar to Tahoe, all the ski areas mentioned are max an hour from each other and Sugarbush and Mad River are right next door to each other.

Right now the skiing in northern VT looks great...judging from Josh's videos! Sure hope things stay this way.

Last edited:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK, so other than Gaspe Peninsula where can we go in the northeast between Christmas and New Year's Eve that will not be super crowded?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I think I remember a MeatHead (the Ski The East people) film segment in the Chic-Chocs. It was backcountry, though, Wonder if there is any lift served?

Mont Miller 1000 vertical foot T bars that is open Friday-sunday.

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
OK, so other than Gaspe Peninsula where can we go in the northeast between Christmas and New Year's Eve that will not be super crowded?​

Besides the usual locales in Vermont, New Hampshire, or Maine? The Eastern Townships of Quebec, maybe? I know they get hit by Ontario crowds though. @surfsnowgirl goes there. Maybe she'll have input.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I fear Eastern Townships may get a lot of Quebecois out of Montreal? We have been to the big Quebec areas, Ste. Anne and Le Massif; they draw healthy crowds over the holidays. Right now I am thinking Burke.

Sponsor

Staff online