• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
you look about a 1/3 as small as normal weight loss plan?

Reactions: mdf

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
Just be aware that when you get to Stowe you'll have to exchange your Epic pass for a Stowe Evolution Card. Stowe's RFID readers don't accept Epic passes yet.

Basically, stop off at any ticket window... don't go straight to the lifts.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I fear Eastern Townships may get a lot of Quebecois out of Montreal? We have been to the big Quebec areas, Ste. Anne and Le Massif; they draw healthy crowds over the holidays. Right now I am thinking Burke.

I know lots of Montrealers go to Tremblant. I heard more talk about Ottawa crowds at Mount Sutton, but you may be right.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm basing my assumption on the fact that a lot of folks from Montreal go to jay Peak. Eastern Township areas are really close to Jay Peak. Therefore I'm thinking there ma be lots of Montrealers there. If only there were someone on the forum who has skied there....

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pico opened for the season yesterday with 36 trails and only 12 groomed thanks to the 2 feet of snow in the last week. A surprisingly light crowd meant the fresh stuff lasted all day. The consistent cold temps of the last few days also kept the powder from setting up. Amazing day.

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I'm basing my assumption on the fact that a lot of folks from Montreal go to jay Peak. Eastern Township areas are really close to Jay Peak. Therefore I'm thinking there ma be lots of Montrealers there. If only there were someone on the forum who has skied there....

I've skied Jay, but it's been a while, and not over Christmas. Hard to avoid crowds anywhere in the Northeast on holidays (except on Christmas and New Year's Days) — we're close to population centers. I'll ask a friend who's son is an instructor up there. May take a while, but I'll send the text now.

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
@Crank, had a back and forth with my friend's son. He said: "There will likely be some pretty decent crowds but the snow is pretty amazing right now"

I asked him specifically about trees, because that's the real reason to ski Jay (groomers are narrow, old-tymie New England style, which can be harrowing when there are crowds, and the trees, when there's snow, are fantastic), and he said, "Oh yeah!"

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Besides the usual locales in Vermont, New Hampshire, or Maine? The Eastern Townships of Quebec, maybe? I know they get hit by Ontario crowds though. @surfsnowgirl goes there. Maybe she'll have input.

@Crank, had a back and forth with my friend's son. He said: "There will likely be some pretty decent crowds but the snow is pretty amazing right now"

I asked him specifically about trees, because that's the real reason to ski Jay (groomers are narrow, old-tymie New England style, which can be harrowing when there are crowds, and the trees, when there's snow, are fantastic), and he said, "Oh yeah!"

Read, I know Jay really well, have been skiing there most seasons since 1985 and I know it better than I know any other hill. And I know how crowded it gets for holidays and vacations... been there for all of them over the years. I will be avoiding it this coming holiday week and possibly make it up there for a midweek storm at some point. I wanted to drive up this week but had too much going on at home to get away.

That is why I am wondering about the nearby Eastern Townships areas: Orford, Sutton, Bromont, Owl's Head because I know Jay will be a zoo. These days at Jay the trees, even my old out of bounds stashes, get tracked up a lot faster than they used too, sigh.

According to Google maps, Jay is 2 hours from Montreal, Tremblant is 1:46 and Mt Orford is 1:17. Quebec City is over 2:30 and has Ste Anne and Le Massif right next door. Quebec City is a fun holiday getaway, but the ski areas are pretty crowded there as well. I think folks from Ontario tend to go to Tremblant as it is the closest big mountain with Lake Placid coming in second. Eastern townships are smaller areas and clock in at over 3:30 drive time from Ottowa.

Still it may be fun to try some new to me areas. Have often thought about skiing Orford or Bromont when staying at Jay... but Jay almost always gets more snow than anywhere else in the region, a lot more snow, so I always have just stayed put.

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Read, I know Jay really well, have been skiing there most seasons since 1985 and I know it better than I know any other hill. And I know how crowded it gets for holidays and vacations... been there for all of them over the years. I will be avoiding it this coming holiday week and possibly make it up there for a midweek storm at some point. I wanted to drive up this week but had too much going on at home to get away.

That is why I am wondering about the nearby Eastern Townships areas: Orford, Sutton, Bromont, Owl's Head because I know Jay will be a zoo. These days at Jay the trees, even my old out of bounds stashes, get tracked up a lot faster than they used too, sigh.

According to Google maps, Jay is 2 hours from Montreal, Tremblant is 1:46 and Mt Orford is 1:17. Quebec City is over 2:30 and has Ste Anne and Le Massif right next door. Quebec City is a fun holiday getaway, but the ski areas are pretty crowded there as well. I think folks from Ontario tend to go to Tremblant as it is the closest big mountain with Lake Placid coming in second. Eastern townships are smaller areas and clock in at over 3:30 drive time from Ottowa.

Still it may be fun to try some new to me areas. Have often thought about skiing Orford or Bromont when staying at Jay... but Jay almost always gets more snow than anywhere else in the region, a lot more snow, so I always have just stayed put.

Oh, sorry. Didn't know that.

I've only skied Sutton, which I absolutely loved. There's a range of terrain, more on the intermediate to expert side of the spectrum (there's less for beginners), running from steepish groomers to tight, narrow, double-black, bumped-up tree runs. It isn't a huge mountain, but it kept my group busy for the three days we were there.

I don't know Orford, but @surfsnowgirl, who knows both resorts and likes them, prefers Orford. Not sure her reasons.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Stowe report for Saturday: it didn’t suck.

Took a warmup run on groomers skiing GS turns the whole way down. After that, I skied powder bumps until my legs fell off.

National, Goat and Starr were more crud skiing then bump skiing (although bump lines are starting to appear). Remembering where the rocks are on Goat helped, but even if you didn’t know, there were only a few thinner areas. Even Lower Goat was “send”.

I didn’t bother skiing glades today... on trail was simply righteous.

Temps were mild, no wind and it basically snowed all day.

Time to go see Star Wars. :cool:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
The best thing about Stowe today is that there was nobody there! I didn’t encounter a lift line all day!

I don’t think Sunday will suck...

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Skied Bromley with the ski school today and it ......was......good.... Soft packed powder. Skied the summit and everything in between. Head Rallys were perfect as always. Another clinic day tomorrow.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Here's the xmas storm, stuff like this makes Rayno giddy. Below is the Euro, with this type of pattern it seems to do a better job of forecasting this far out.

DRLE18bWAAUCw7F.jpg:large

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The best thing about Stowe today is that there was nobody there! I didn’t encounter a lift line all day!

I don’t think Sunday will suck...

Do I have to just get in the car right now? Sigh. Chores all day today. Probably some skate skiing tomorrow to try to melt off some of the blubber. Could be worse. Still, Stowe sounds great.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Get your priorities straighten out.... the chores will always be around, once you finished one, another comes around the corner.

We may have a nice storm Xmas day and will stay cold till the second week Jan, get some before the thaw comes around.

Sponsor

Staff online