• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
They are rated 4th on Tire Rack "best in category" at 98%. Not bad. We typically buy our tires straight from Schomp. They have great pricing and in the past they have participated in pass deals with Steamboat. This season I purchased my winter Pirelli's from Discount Tire. They beat Schomp by $200 installed and out the door. We have no complaints with our Pirelli's and can tell you that they stop very well, have great traction in the snow and ice, and reasonably ok on warm dry pavement.

I called Schomp, they were the same price on the Pirelli, $20 more annually on storage vs. BMW of Denver Downtown and didn't offer free alignment like Downtown did with a purchase of 4 new tires.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I got a new set of Blizzak WS-80s installed yesterday. I've rarely strayed from Blizzaks so can't really make much comparison to others. Went down from 245/40 -18 to 225/45 -18 stock size is 255/35 - 19. I had a few harrowing moments last year that made me think maybe I should go back to the narrower tire. I don't know if it was that the others were too wide, or that I kept them on one season too long. Whichever one it was, problem solved.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

The guy in the white truck though he was a bada$$ just because he is in a big truck with big mud terrain tires... :rolleyes:

That hill must be steeper than it looks on the vid though.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Snow tires, yeah, who needs em... PSA video for snow tires

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The bad thing about formula cars is that they spin really easy..the good part is they are generally spectacularly neutral at the limit! :D

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier
Just changed to my summer tires yesterday, 4/30/18, finishing my 7th season on studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 SUV Tires 265/60R18 used on my 2012 Grand Cherokee Larado X with the 5.7l hemi. Tire mileage = 65,543 and Dunn Tire believed they are good for another season.

Snow and ice performance has been excellent and plan to replace - probably sometime next winter - with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9's. At approx, $250/tire expensive but given the performance, years of use and high mileage worth every penny.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Finishing a second season on the Falken AT3W on the Sequoia. They have 33K on them, a ton of tread, and have been generally unflappable in two straight more ice than snow seasons.

Finishing a fourth season on the BFG ko2 on the Cruiser. They have 41K, plenty of tread, and have handled everything from ice to major blizzard. I’m going to try to start actually killing them off with a bunch more fourwheeling this summer.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You need to tell em how you get 44k out of the Hankooks! Don't think mine will get past 20k!:eek: on my F150... They have worked quite well in less extreme snow conditions though and one of the better AT tires I have used, I have run 20inch Yoko IG51s for the last couple of seasons for winter (great tires!) but got a set of General arcticMax for this winter to try something different. I just keep a dedicated set of wheels for Winter for easy changeover,

BTW, there is an interesting article on Nokian in the December issue of Motor Trend, They are pushing to increase their market share in the USA and are actually opening a factory here in 2020

Well, I changed my wheels/tires back over a couple of weeks ago. Sorry to say my experiment with the General Arcticmax snow tires was quite a disappointment. While supposedly an XL rated tire, (in 275/55-20) the sidewalls were really soft in comparison to the normal Hankooks and the Yokohamas used previously. You could feel the truck rolling over on it more than I like. Performance wise, also disappointing from a pure snow perspective. I would categorize them more as a mixed use winter tire rather than a snow tire. OK for normal pavement (apart from the softer sidewall) but not nearly as aggressive or confidence inspiring as the Yokohamas in snow/slush/ice.

So will probably sell them at the start off next winter and try something else. Definitely think my preference is for a more aggressive snow oriented tire for winter here, even though a lot of time is still spent ion dry pavement in a Tahoe winter.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Well, I changed my wheels/tires back over a couple of weeks ago. Sorry to say my experiment with the General Arcticmax snow tires was quite a disappointment. While supposedly an XL rated tire, (in 275/55-20) the sidewalls were really soft in comparison to the normal Hankooks and the Yokohamas used previously. You could feel the trick rolling over on it more than I like. Performance wise, also disappointing from a pure snow perspective. I would categorize them more as a mixed use winter tire rather than a snow tire. OK for normal pavement (apart from the softer sidewall) but not nearly as aggressive or confidence inspiring as the Yokohamas in snow/slush/ice.

So will probably sell them at the start off next winter and try something else. Definitely think my preference is for a more aggressive snow oriented tire for winter here, even though a lot of time is still spent ion dry pavement in a Tahoe winter.
Seems like that tire just didn't translate into truck sizes. It gets quite good marks on smallish cars.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems like that tire just didn't translate into truck sizes. It gets quite good marks on smallish cars.

That may very well be the case james, especially given the propensity to roll over the sidewall. But more importantly I would class it as not a tire designed for real winter use, more for someone like a weekend warrior from the Bay where most of the mileage is on dry pavement with a small percentage of winter conditions.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have been disappointed with any General Tire I ever owned. Will not purchase them again and hope they never come as OEM on any car I purchase.

Sponsor