• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yesterday I got myself some Zipfit liners (Gara model). My current shells/liners have well over 100 days on them now at this point. After in injury in them 2 season ago and last season where I really noticed that the liners seemed packed out, I figured I had to do something. I've never been in boots that I've found the right combination of well fitting but comfortable and have read and talked to users who have had so many good things to say about the Zipfits, so I'd figured I'd give them a try. I'm well aware that the comfort isn't going to come right away, but I'm thinking the fit is going to work out great.

I had a great experience with Marc Stewart at Windham - http://www.windhammountain.com/mountain-sports-shop/boot-lab/ - I'd highly recommend him for anyone needing any kind of boot work or purchase in the NY area.

As an aside, most longer conversations I have with anyone involved with skiing typically touches on my ski forum experience at some point. This led to finding out that Marc had met Phil and Tricia at an event in Reno not too long ago. I consider it the Six Degrees of Phil - it's hard to find someone involved with skiing who doesn't know Phil or doesn't know someone who knows someone who knows Phil.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, let us know when you've skied them and your thoughts. I'm kind of addicted to them, if that's possible. The control and heel hold is remarkable. Just be forewarned if you put them on cold, they won't feel so cozy. I recommend at least starting with them at room temp.

TS
SKI-3PO

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been told they are addictive. Thanks for the tip on putting them on...that confirms what Marc also told me.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been in ZipFits for a few years. Life changing. I can't fathom skiing anything else now. More performance, more comfortable, more enjoyable days skiing. I highly recommend a heated boot bag. The liners are nice and toasty and you get a "custom" fit every time.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I had a great experience with Marc Stewart at Windham - http://www.windhammountain.com/mountain-sports-shop/boot-lab/ - I'd highly recommend him for anyone needing any kind of boot work or purchase in the NY area.

As an aside, most longer conversations I have with anyone involved with skiing typically touches on my ski forum experience at some point. This led to finding out that Marc had met Phil and Tricia at an event in Reno not too long ago. I consider it the Six Degrees of Phil - it's hard to find someone involved with skiing who doesn't know Phil or doesn't know someone who knows someone who knows Phil.

Lets get Marc involved here, the more knowledge we can add, the better the community will be. And I don't think there is even close to Six Degrees, it rarely goes past two...maybe three degrees. ;)

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Lets get Marc involved here, the more knowledge we can add, the better the community will be. And I don't think there is even close to Six Degrees, it rarely goes past two...maybe three degrees. ;)

@Philpug not sure if that is you being obtuse, or maybe acute, but it sounds like you have an angle on it ;)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Are zip fits primarily for people with low volume feet? Been thinking of replacing my packed out Intuitions. I do love how warm they are, but I quickly find myself with a room heel. Maybe I'll put the stock Tecnica liners back in, or put some Intuitions in my old Kryptons (loved how that buckle held my ankle in place) ...

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
@Monique zipfit can be used very successfully for people with lower volume feet, but it isn't only for that, most importantly the shell needs to be a good fit for the foot, the cork/clay mix in the zipfit liner moulds around the foot and is dynamic so keeps moulding and doesn't pack out the way a normal liner will, sure it will pack to an extent but it takes a lot longer...

what they are incredibly good at doing is removing heel lift 99% of heel lift stone dead, just like the bleach advert which kills 99% of all known germs!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Monique zipfit can be used very successfully for people with lower volume feet, but it isn't only for that, most importantly the shell needs to be a good fit for the foot, the cork/clay mix in the zipfit liner moulds around the foot and is dynamic so keeps moulding and doesn't pack out the way a normal liner will, sure it will pack to an extent but it takes a lot longer...

what they are incredibly good at doing is removing heel lift 99% of heel lift stone dead, just like the bleach advert which kills 99% of all known germs!

THAT sounds amazing to me. It seems like my #1 problem: boots pack out till my heel lifts, and cranking buckles doesn't help (unless I'm in a boot with an ankle buckle design).

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
My 6 season with Zipfits , best piece of equipment I own, great heal hold ,no need to buckle tight, +1 for heated boot bag. They will not fix a poor shell fit but if the shell fit is good then these are the ticket

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Sure, just get the right one. How tight is your shell fit?

LOL at that response. I remember being in the same condo in Utah when Susan brought her brand new Zipfits home from the mountain. Not sure if I would refer to it as "love at first sight", but, she has some specific foot issues that may have taken more time to work out.
Dano, my existing liners are almost at the point where I need new, and, intend to look at Zipfits but my shell fit is tight to begin with. Get to shop that sells them (with a lot of room on a credit card).

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
LOL at that response. I remember being in the same condo in Utah when Susan brought her brand new Zipfits home from the mountain. Not sure if I would refer to it as "love at first sight", but, she has some specific foot issues that may have taken more time to work out.
Dano, my existing liners are almost at the point where I need new, and, intend to look at Zipfits but my shell fit is tight to begin with. Get to shop that sells them (with a lot of room on a credit card).

That's why I said get the right fit, which I did not the first time around. Second time around (Skiing-in-Jackson btw) they've been money.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I have a short wide foot with a high instep and low arch, so when I do a "shell fit" there is 3/4" behind my heel. The rest of the boot is snug and I have had both shells punched at the little toe. The boots now have about 200+ days on them. My biggest concern is that the stock liners are not very bulky and the Zipfits might be too bulky to fit in the shell.

My travels this season will take me to Sun Valley and then SLC the week before the Aspen Gathering and then 5 days each at Copper, Winter Park, and Steamboat after the Gathering on a Max Pass as well as JH and Big Sky on the way home so I guess I will be on the lookout for a Zipfit dealer in some of those locations

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a short wide foot with a high instep and low arch, so when I do a "shell fit" there is 3/4" behind my heel. The rest of the boot is snug and I have had both shells punched at the little toe. The boots now have about 200+ days on them. My biggest concern is that the stock liners are not very bulky and the Zipfits might be too bulky to fit in the shell....

The World Cup and Gara liners are the lowest volume. The "bulk" in the Zipfit really comes mostly in the ankle and cuff area, but I just had some stuff taken off the foot last week.

TS
SKI-3PO

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My shell fit is fairly tight which was a concern of mine as well, but I'm fairly confident now that its going to work out well. If only I could find some white stuff to test it on.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Like Susan said you will be a Gara or world cup model , I think that shell is a 98 last which is the same as my boots and I have a world cup model, when I first fitted them It was very snug, but after skiing a few days became very comfortable, and has since been a consistently very good fit. If you are in SLC go see Steve Bagley at Superior Sport at Snowbird, He is In the back of Christy Sport on the plaza. He did some fitting for me on my shells which are very snug and the have been great. you will not be sorry, expensive but in the long run you will save $ IMO.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
gara/world cup is the lowest volume as people have said, BUT the leather version is a little thinner than the Neotex version , this is purely down to the thickness of the neoprene verses the leather

in a 98mm shell unless you have super skinny feet one of these models is the one to go for (if you have super skinny feet then the Grand Prix might be better) take the advice of the fitter when you are getting them sorted, they should be able to guide you to the correct model

Sponsor