• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eastern Canada Will Canadians be able to find affordable flights?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah I'm not holding my breath... It's often cheaper for us to fly to the US or Europe than to fly within Canada. 5h to Vancouver is $800 and 6 hours to Norway is $500. Go figure... And all the way through the Toronto Airport is getting their cut..

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Yep, flight prices are way down here thanks to competition. Lynx, Flair, and Swoop have forced the big 2 to lower fares greatly. Just yesterday I was seeing flights from YYZ to Cranbrook for $200ish. That would have been pushing $1000 10-15 years ago.

In the past, I could do a complete 4 day SLC trip (minus food and drink) for the same price as a flight to Western Canada. My first trip to SLC maybe 13 or 14 years ago, I did flight (SW), lodging (Priceline), lift tix (ski shop), and car rental all for $600US which was somewhere close to even exchange.

Now Canada comes out way ahead of the US. Especially with the crazy lift ticket prices stateside and poor exchange rate. US flight prices are just the icing on the cake.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yep, flight prices are way down here thanks to competition. Lynx, Flair, and Swoop have forced the big 2 to lower fares greatly. Just yesterday I was seeing flights from YYZ to Cranbrook for $200ish. That would have been pushing $1000 10-15 years ago.

In the past, I could do a complete 4 day SLC trip (minus food and drink) for the same price as a flight to Western Canada. My first trip to SLC maybe 13 or 14 years ago, I did flight (SW), lodging (Priceline), lift tix (ski shop), and car rental all for $600US which was somewhere close to even exchange.

Now Canada comes out way ahead of the US. Especially with the crazy lift ticket prices stateside and poor exchange rate. US flight prices are just the icing on the cake.
That's great news. I'll be looking in the fall.... Kicking horse is on my list... Or red.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
But will flight go!! I'm heading to a conference in Kelowna the end of September. Swoop had a direct flight at a good price, but the bad reviews about flight not going at all stopped me. I used points with WJ. I know some are going AC and it's in the $1200.00 range from TO.

The States is out for me too. The exchange rate is the issue. And 2 trips to Florida this year, I'm out of points.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, no joke about flights being cheaper in Canada right now. Looking for a flight from YUL to YYC in late September and it's like US $240. Some dates are US $200. Even the legacy carriers are relatively inexpensive... $300 or so.

Sponsor

Staff online