• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review Volkl RTM 81 vs RTM 81

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
What is this, a comparison between Volkl's RTM 81 and another RTM 81? What is this? Well actually it is a review of the original RTM 81 with no camber and their new RTM 81 which has camber and their new 3D Ridge contstruction.

I am able to make this comparison as I just sold my original RTM 81's in a 171 length and replaced them with the new ones in the 170 length and tried them yesterday for some late season skiing at Holiday Valley yesterday. Sidecuts are very similar with an almost identical turn radius of 16.1.

First let me say that I loved the original RTM's. I am a believer in the 80mm width for most conditions here in the midwest and east where all of my local skiing is done. That ski ripped nice arcs, held on hardpack and was decent in bumps. It was my go to ski for the past 4-5 seasons. When an opportunity to get a great late season deal at the same time a friend said he would buy my old ones made the decision easy.

The first thing I noticed was how light and nimble the new 3D Ridge construction feels on your feet. Making a mere thought of turning enough to turn the skis. So far so good. The snow conditions this day was mostly spring softer snow after a recent dump with a layer of hard pack underneath. About 1/2 of the slopes were groomed the other 1/2 left over freshies from a day or two earlier. On the groomers these skis railed well and cut clean arcs just as the originals, but with a lighter feeling which took getting use to.

On the broken soft snow on the un-groomed is where these skis really shined. Where the heavier originals cut and plowed well through soft crud, these new ones just skimmed the top as if I was floating on powder. They actually surprised me how well they handled that softer broken snow, reminding me of a less powerful Bonafide that I had just skied in Alta in similar conditions.

Then I went into some bumps. As much as I liked the original in bumps, these felt better. Quicker turning and more controllable is how they felt. I really had fun with them in both intermediate and expert bump hills.

The only area where I felt the originals were better was in high speed stability. The newer lighter 81's only 1mm shorter at 170 vs 171, felt 5-7 mm shorter, feeling not as stable as my speeds increased on bomber hills. I now wonder if the 177 would have been a better choice, but I think the better versatility everywhere else will make up for that on deficit. Of courses my originals are gone and the new ones are paid for, so what else am I going to do? LOL

Looking forward to skiing these in other conditions to continue my self analysis

Rick G.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will make this a three way comparison, I will add in the AC30, the predicessor to the first RTM 81...bear with me on this. While I didn't really like either of these two skis, I really like the new RTM 81 which really is the best of what was the worst of both of these skis. The AC30 was an uncompromising I-Beam of ski with a miniscule sweet spot but tenacious hard snow grip. The first RTM81 was zero camber with the lifelessness of a comatose slug with very little feedback but super easy in and out of a turn. the new RTM brought the camber and connection of the AC30 and with adding some ease of the first RTM with some early rise in the tip and tail. The new RTM could have easily gone the other way..the easy of the AC and the power of the RTM. It is kinda like @Ziggy, he is a Jack Russel/Chocolate Lab mix...he has the smarts of the Jack and the calmness of the Lab...if it was the other way....:nono::nono:

TS
rickg

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Funny you should mention the AC30, as that ski I actually loved for my eastern skiing. Discovered its limitations when I took it west. It was my predecessor to the 1st gen RTM 81's. As I am now on the new RTM 81's, I must be drinking the Volkl Kool Aid! LOL

Rick G

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Funny you should mention the AC30, as that ski I actually loved for my eastern skiing. Discovered its limitations when I took it west. It was my predecessor to the 1st gen RTM 81's. As I am now on the new RTM 81's, I must be drinking the Volkl Kool Aid! LOL

Rick G
Me too!
Different strokes for different folks I guess.
I borrowed a fellow patroller's ski for a few runs (only a few because he wanted them back - guess I forgot to take the hanging burr off the P50s :huh:). I found it an excellent hard groomer ski. It didn't quite have the grip strength of my old SCs at 10/10ths but for 80% of my skiing it was great, so easy to bend into a turn!

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
I skied a pair of 2018 RTM 81's for a couple of half days over the Perisher opening weekend (2nd weekend in June).

Conditions were generally soft, wet and heavy, with slushy piles, when I was on these.

I'm a low to middling intermediate, 5'9", 245lb, 55yo. I skied these in 177cm and was just able, on 2 runs, to glimpse their potential. On these 2 runs I felt the skis come alive, pop, zing and fizz like a popping candy spa. After the first of these 2 runs, I got some funny looks as I let out a big whoop of sheer joy.

I had to level up in aggression and awareness to get the best out of these skis. It took a determined effort to keep facing down the fall line, pretend the slushy piles weren't there and feel the shins against the boot tongues as I flexed through the turns. In 2 runs out of 2 half days, I was able to do these things consistently from the top to the bottom.

When I wasn't 100% on my game, however, the skis felt surly and uncommunicative, like a teenaged boy.

I suspect that the skis may be more accessible if I set the bindings forward a click or 2, as they are fitted with the Wideride XL bindings, or perhaps the 170 length may be better suited to my ability.

But hell, when they're good they're very, very good. A ski like this will help me enjoy skiing more assertively, because they really reward finding that elusive Go ButtonTM @Tricia.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
But hell, when they're good they're very, very good. A ski like this will help me enjoy skiing more assertively, because they really reward finding that elusive Go ButtonTM @Tricia.
:yahoo::yeah:

Sponsor

Staff online