• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tip Covers

riss_28

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
This may seem like an odd question but does anyone have suggestions for tip protection?? It was a pretty icy first day out in my new skis and they tips already look pretty beat-up. Normal wear and tear is expected but I’d hate to see them ruined in the spring after one season. Thanks in advance!!

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
So...like pasties for your skis? :micdrop:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This may seem like an odd question but does anyone have suggestions for tip protection?? It was a pretty icy first day out in my new skis and they tips already look pretty beat-up. Normal wear and tear is expected but I’d hate to see them ruined in the spring after one season. Thanks in advance!!
Do you have pictures of the damage?
Trying to get an idea what you're looking for.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Every new ski will usually be sharp tip to tail including those areas on the tip/tail above the effective edge that will never hit the snow. Those sharp edged tips will hit the other top sheet during moguls etc and cause the chipping.
You just have to find the widest points on the tip and tail(end of effective edge) and dull/round the edges with a file and diamond stones if you have them at a 45 degree angle.

Put a flat edge or file against the ski and you will see the spot when the tips/tails get narrower and there is space between the straight edge and tip/tail. Mark with a piece of tape on all 4 sides and then round the edge above that on the tip and behind that on the tail. Above the red line on this picture of one of my ski tips.

275B404E-161C-42A2-9020-F19DA4896272.jpeg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Hockey tape. Replace as necessary.

The last time we had a major thread on this, everyone had elaborate recipes but it all comes down to ...sticky tape.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Every new ski will usually be sharp tip to tail including those areas on the tip/tail above the effective edge that will never hit the snow. Those sharp edged tips will hit the other top sheet during moguls etc and cause the chipping.
You just have to find the widest points on the tip and tail(end of effective edge) and dull/round the edges with a file and diamond stones if you have them at a 45 degree angle.

Put a flat edge or file against the ski and you will see the spot when the tips/tails get narrower and there is space between the straight edge and tip/tail. Mark with a piece of tape on all 4 sides and then round the edge above that on the tip and behind that on the tail. Above the red line on this picture of one of my ski tips.

View attachment 188138

@KingGrump will absolutely love this post, I kid you not… :roflmao: :roflmao:
He and the other members of The Church of Tip to Tail Sharp Edges will be delighted.

Reactions: NE1

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@KingGrump will absolutely love this post, I kid you not… :roflmao: :roflmao:
He and the other members of The Church of Tip to Tail Sharp Edges will be delighted.
Still is sharp tip to tail. You just round the edges that are always in the air off the snow. Not detuning any of the effective edge.

On a carving ski, the area above the widest taper points are almost non existent as there is no taper, so no rounding at all unless they don’t already have a tip protector.

Just took a pic of 3 carving ski tips and only the Blizzard would need a once over on the VERY tip of the ski. The other to the left and middle have a tip protector about a cm beyond their widest points.
Only “all mountain” shaped/more tapered skis would get more rounding to prevent top sheet damage.

45D86AA9-1745-48B3-8FDF-C4647E334814.jpeg

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The Mindbender 90 skis don’t have semi cap on the tips and tails and were usually not smoothed so they got chipped when hit together. Was a thread or two on here about it.
Just round the very top of the tips in the area where all this damage occurred and there wouldn’t have been the issue in the first place.

BB8E4AD4-B6DE-4FF2-A79D-3BA67794CD8E.png
C52507A8-B90F-449C-8820-D11C979D9054.png

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Surely ski tips that look like they've been nibbled by gerbils are just a feature of skiing hard and particularly skiing bumps. Can be a useful way of telling L from R skis also.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sniffs bait.....

Swims away! :ogbiggrin:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Sniffs bait.....

Swims away! :ogbiggrin:

Trying to make sense of it all
But we can see it makes no sense at all,
It is cool to try swimming away,
But we all know you're here to stay
Rabbits on the left hand ski, Gerbils to the right,
Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Brought to you by One Hit Wonder, Stealer's Wheel!

Sponsor

Staff online