• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Peak By Bode Miller Skis Discussion Thread

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks.

That's my one complaint with the Peaks in general, same reason, weight:
less tiring and easier on me overall if heavier, mostly.
Slowly, many folks here have decided that the less tiring way to ski the Peaks,
and minimize their light weight, is just to keep them mostly on groomers or relatively smooth slopes.
To me, the only two models that are maybe still an option for me elsewhere are the 88 and the 104/184.

I'm glad I got the longest of each model that was then available, just for dampening and stability,
especially in soft snow, to lessen the impact of the Peaks being so light. But I still find the light weight more work, relatively.

(Another way to go might have been to downsize to a shorter than normal length, so
that lesser speeds and more turns might mitigate the lightness in the other direction. Dunno.
One of the folks I know, a ski instructor, just got the 104 in a 168, when he's maybe 5'11" and 190 lbs,
to try the slower, turnier option.)

It seems to me that the Peak makers thought the keyhole would allow for lighter weight,
plus that's the latest thing, for younger folks who like having very active feet, I guess.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm an old guy also. When I was younger the Peak lightness might have been no problem.

I do know that when I really get on them even in bumps, and am skiing them like race skis, carving and flexing (no slarve) a bit laid over
instead of going with the side cut, going through some level of bumps and trees isn't a problem.

It's just that for me as an old guy that's too tiring for long, as are moguls in general for more than a few runs here and there.
Again I can see the lighter weight not being a problem for expert folks who do that. But for me, a pair of
173 last generation Brahmas (or current Kendos) do all that with bumps and trees easier and less tiring - and for me more fun.
(With the same or nearly the same ski style).

Oh, and the Peak 98 is also able to do something that makes them more than worth it, wow:
they are just amazing at the combination of re-freeze early morning carve and then slush carve, at A Basin in springtime. :)

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied the 88s today. Seven inches of wet snow in the last 24 hours. I was able to shmear them in the bumps and trees and go slow as I wanted in some steeps too. No problem. They still made me look like I knew what I was doing carving on the groomers where the wet snow had been skied into pretty firm (Rockies ice) and/or chunky.

And believe me, I am not some Uber skier. Just a diminutive granny with an adventurous streak.

I managed to stop for one photo. The clouds and the light were particularly beautiful today.

20240316_170943.jpg

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
So I took advantage of the end of season discount and ordered a pair of the 88's over a week ago... still no notification of shipping. Anyone else experiencing this?

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
--quote--
Due to a large queue of orders, and an unfortunate customs delay, our fulfillment times are slower.
We expect to ship your skis this week, or early next and we will email you a tracking number once the skis are shipped.
We appreciate your patience and please let me know if you have any additional questions.
--end quote--

I think the skis are made in Slovenia by Elan.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Has anyone heard yet if the Peak 78 is similar to the other Peaks, and light weight?

The Crosson Dissenter 78 is still for sale for $499 on that website, in all three lengths.
(It's still my favorite of the Bode skis, over the Peaks I've tried.)
I ski it more than the others, so far, at least once a week, sometimes more.)

All the other Crosson skis are gone.

(I can imagine posting this plea for info once a season until someone knows. Apologies.)

James

Out There
Instructor
The Crosson Dissenter 78 is still for sale for $499 on that website, in all three lengths.
You have the 175?
What about that massive front end?Not unwieldy?
Moguls?

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have the 185. I assumed they would be like a near race ski, good for groomers, crud and mild off piste and mild bumps
(such as runs groomed once a week or so).

They are like a near race ski or front side biased ski, to me, and a bit versatile that way; but also different than any
such ski I've been on. I ski them in some bumps, and some off piste. They are heavy and stable like a race ski - or like
Blizzard Brahmas, in just that way. (Not like the lighter Peaks.)

I use my various Head eSpeed and iSpeeds a lot less now, because I prefer the Crosson 78, mostly.
My Fischer GT 86 multiflex 182 skis also get less use.

At first these Crossons felt too long at the tips. I just adjusted my skiing style to use that tip
the way one would use a GS ski - driving them and getting on top of them, laying them over a bit
(no change in mount point, though I experimented briefly).

As Bode described them, they are cheater skis at learning to lay carving skis over. If you are not used to near race skis at least,
they may seem unforgiving; but I find them forgiving and near foolproof, once I got used to them. They are not really an
all mountain ski, at least in the length I got them. They are not a problem in mild bump fields, I'd say, nor in some crud.

My guess is the 175s would be like a 175 near race ski or front side biased ski, rather than an all mountain ski or bump ski:
faster edge to edge on groomers.
The 185s are easier and less tiring to carve - and ski - than any near race ski I've owned.

That fan shape is sort of like the Head V8 shape and behavior on steroids, but it means the skis do not hook.
At the length I got, they are restful to carve dependably, less of a fight to keep on edge and carving. Restful
for this old guy. Skiing with others, I watch them make more effort than me, and it's really easy for me to
fit their speed and skiing pace, or go faster or slower.

My guess is, folks who like the Peaks and can deal with their limitations do to lighter weight, would find the
Crossons to be just as good or better - since they have nearly the weight of a race ski, and some rocker
(but no keyhole).

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
--quote--
Due to a large queue of orders, and an unfortunate customs delay, our fulfillment times are slower.
We expect to ship your skis this week, or early next and we will email you a tracking number once the skis are shipped.
We appreciate your patience and please let me know if you have any additional questions.
--end quote--

I think the skis are made in Slovenia by Elan.
Don't worry though, they're extending the No Buyer's Remorse Guarantee until December 31, 2024 so I'll have EIGHT WHOLE MONTHS to test the skis. You know, in the soft... grass, and the bumps (rocks/gravel?) in June/July/August.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't worry though, they're extending the No Buyer's Remorse Guarantee until December 31, 2024 so I'll have EIGHT WHOLE MONTHS to test the skis. You know, in the soft... grass, and the bumps (rocks/gravel?) in June/July/August.
Argentina, New Zealand, etc?

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Argentina, New Zealand, etc?
Of course, that's why I bought a pair of skis at 50% off. Because i'm so wealthy I'm going to just jump on a flight from Logan International and fly to New Zealand for a weekend getaway to rigorously trial my Peak 88's.......................................................................................................:rolleyes:

Markers1942

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I am intrigued. I would love to find a demo option in the Lake Tahoe area so I can try them out. if the price was a little lower, I would probably just risk it.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I feel your pain brah…but look at the bright side…nah there isn’t a bright side…nevermind…

James

Out There
Instructor
One can also ski in Europe for part of the summer. No salt. Just sayin’.
Then there’s salty Mt Hood.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Pah you can use those amazing Bode sticks 364 days a year in a fridge or dryslope. Dryslope would actually be kinda fun you could totally burn ought the bases then send em back to Bode with a note saying "nah".

TipsUp

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier

All the other Crosson skis are gone.

(I can imagine posting this plea for info once a season until someone knows. Apologies.)
Chase / Crosson is still selling the Dissenter series skis, but please be aware that the backend of his website and payment processing was hacked. I ordered the 78/185 and while I was billed I received no confirmation of shipping for over a week. Their emails bounce back and their phone number is disconnected. I was able to reach Chase via Facebook after trying every other social media account I could find. He quickly replied, confirmed my order and shipped it overnight at his cost. I'm due to receive the skis and bindings tomorrow.

TLDR; Dissenter skis are available but email [email protected] vs their online shop.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Surprised he is not lowering the price even more to get rid of any remaining inventory, and then shutdown his website appropriately. If he intends to resurrect the brand, having an orphaned website isn't doing him any favours.

Sponsor

Staff online