• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Peak By Bode Miller Skis Discussion Thread

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Unreleased. We must wait my good fellow. We shall ride in 2025.
I don't think "unreleased" is the best adjective for a binding. On the other hand, for a Pivot, maybe it is!

Joshua S

Putting on skis
Skier
What are you talking about??
Peak Ski company offered a free pair of skis for anyone who could document that s/he skied 3M vertical feet during the course of the 2022-3 season. They are offering the same deal this year but are requiring 4M vertical feet during the course of the 2023-4 season.

I was curious how many pairs they gave away last year. Hope that was the answer you were looking for.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm returning my 88s. They are very competent skis, sweet in crud & shallow fresh snow, good but not as good as my current skis on hard pack, and I prefer a tighter turn radius. As luck has it, I'm on hard snow more often than I'm in fresh.

If Peak has the skis for you, they have a spring sale at prices from $499 to $749, and the try & return date is December 1.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm returning my 88s. They are very competent skis, sweet in crud & shallow fresh snow, good but not as good as my current skis on hard pack, and I prefer a tighter turn radius. As luck has it, I'm on hard snow more often than I'm in fresh.

If Peak has the skis for you, they have a spring sale at prices from $499 to $749, and the try & return date is December 1.
I'd love to hear more of your impressions and what thoughts you had before you ultimately decided to give up on them. I bought the same ski myself but I haven't mounted them yet.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There will be a change in production for Peak upcoming. Should be interesting. More to come.

James

Out There
Instructor
How many times did Matt Damon ask, “What is Treadstone? , “Are you Treadstone?”
Frankly, it was a bit annoying.

Now, soon, the answer-
————-
Peak Skis is pioneering Project Treadstone, which is a new process focused on automating and modernizing ski manufacturing. Current ski manufacturing methods take about 45 minutes per ski, but Treadstone hopes to dramatically reduce the ski assembly time.
————-

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
How many times did Matt Damon ask, “What is Treadstone? , “Are you Treadstone?”
Frankly, it was a bit annoying.

Now, soon, the answer-
————-
Peak Skis is pioneering Project Treadstone, which is a new process focused on automating and modernizing ski manufacturing. Current ski manufacturing methods take about 45 minutes per ski, but Treadstone hopes to dramatically reduce the ski assembly time.
————-

What the hell? Why...? The last thing I can picture a small start up manufacturer needing is the ability to churn out products at absurd rates. The demand won't be there and they'll just be amassing inventory. Who benefits from this?

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
Are they bringing production in house or just moving to another contract manufacturer?

Maybe Project Treadstone is just code for “we decided to go with a different contract manufacturer. Hello, GP87!”

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I seem to remember that the original plan was to bring the manufacturing in-house, maybe they're actually going to make it happen.

James

Out There
Instructor
What the hell? Why...? The last thing I can picture a small start up manufacturer needing is the ability to churn out products at absurd rates. The demand won't be there and they'll just be amassing inventory. Who benefits from this?
Well seemingly labor and total cost.
If you can make your whole output in 6 weeks instead of 3 months, (whatever it is), that could help.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
...but you have that whole facility then lying idle 10.5 months of the year so you need to be contract manufacturing for other brands.

Can't see how it makes sense until you've established yourself as a meaningful volume brand. Which despite the cheerleaders here Peak are far from. I saw one pair total in my travels this winter and they were rentals.

I mean Bode's welcome to throw away money on whatever he wants to prove his genius but since they started scamming a wider public for funds then...

James

Out There
Instructor
I mean Bode's welcome to throw away money on whatever he wants to prove his genius but since they started scamming a wider public for funds then...
Renoun had raised nearly $500k last I looked. Every $100k, they’re going to raffle off a pair of skis!
I still don’t get this Wall St backed, go fund me, of companies.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Are they bringing production in house or just moving to another contract manufacturer?
While they do have a press in Bozeman, I beleive that will be earmarked for prototyping skis, they will be moving the mass production to another euro facility, I have a call scheduled next week, when I have more information to where (I have a strong idea) I will expand on it.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Frankly I'm surprised to hear that they will be around for another year. And I say that as someone who's purchased a few pairs from them.
The $1.3 million they got from crowdfunding seems to have given them a reprieve. They may be able to survive but they are going to have to dramatically cut their costs and pay themselves a lot less to do so.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online