• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Taos Gathering (not THE Taos gathering)

Codger

Booting up
Skier
Great reading all your posts. Seemed like a great time was had. My question is what did everyone think of their various instructors? Were different levels experienced? Uniform method of teaching?

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was in a 7/8 level group. We focused on different tactics for skiing the bumps and also on carving technique. He focused on the new inside leg and letting the equipment turn us as opposed to steering with our feet. I heard similar points at tech talk at the St. B so I would assume there is a pretty consistent approach to instruction. My instructor was excellent.

ForeverSki

Getting on the lift
Skier
I was in a level 5 group with 4 women and our instructor was also a woman (like our own mini women ski week). Our skill levels were spot on. We were working on the new inside leg, rolling the ankles simultaneously, maintaining proper stance through the turn, upper and lower body separation, and pole plants. Each run we focused on a particular aspect, then we try to put them together. When it all comes together it’s like strolling in the park. I’m less afraid of the fall line, my turns are rounder, I have better speed control, and I can tell when I mess up. Now I need to go practice a bunch on my local hills. I’ll definitely be back for ski week next year. Highly recommended.

TS
Codger

Codger

Booting up
Skier
I was in a 7/8 level group. We focused on different tactics for skiing the bumps and also on carving technique. He focused on the new inside leg and letting the equipment turn us as opposed to steering with our feet. I heard similar points at tech talk at the St. B so I would assume there is a pretty consistent approach to instruction. My instructor was excellent.

TS
Codger

Codger

Booting up
Skier
What does the inside leg do I thought weight is on outside downhill leg

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It is, but turn initiation occurs with the new inside leg. He had us do an excersise that was totally eye opening to me. Ski in wedge position and just move one knee right then left without changing anything else. Moving the knee will cause your skis to change direction. Of course we don’t actually ski with our knee. It’s just an excersise. But it showed me how important it is to roll onto the new edge and engage the ski by shortening the leg by retraction at the femur. I might be using the wrong word but basically bending at the femur and really leaning inside knee into the hill. It was a blast!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Can the title be adjusted to distinguish it from the main Taos Gathering thread?
Please?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Can the title be adjusted to distinguish it from the main Taos Gathering thread?
Please?
Made a change, does that work?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

You need to stop considering. Just go forth and learn 21st century skiing. This is a great way to do it.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I liked my instructor, Tiger, a lot. He did a great job of keeping track of each student's progress individually as we skied together.

We made a lot of progress on my pole "plants". (I know, we don't really plant anymore, except in hop or near - hop turns, but that is still what they are called.)
A big part of that was due to observations @Tony S made from above on the chair. I relayed his comments to Tiger, and he said, "hmmm, let me specifically watch that." Then later, yeah, your friend is right.

That was really the only thing that needed restructuring. The rest was a matter of calling me out when I regressed on something I already knew, e.g., "you were over-rotating on that last pitch", or "Mike, hands in front!" as I went by.

A very good week.

Sponsor

Staff online