• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Suggested replacement for my Nordica Enforcer 94

FlyNavy

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
7. I chose the Ranger over the Serpo because I am a light guy (157/5'9"), and with a softer tip and tail (than the Serpo), I think it will work better for me than the Serpo.
Does the Ranger truly have a softer tip and tail than the Serpo? Where’d that info come from as I’d not heard that direct comparison before. Hands on in a shop?

I’ve been considering the Serpo myself, but have never seen one in person in the wild. I was not a fan of the Ranger 96 on a slushy day.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I have skied both the Serpo and the Ranger 96 in the same conditions (same day, same runs). I think they're equally easy to ski and have similar average flex. The Serpo may be a bit more homogenous in flex; the Ranger seems to be a touch more solid underfoot but with slightly more flexible tips. But between those two skis, it really is a coin toss.

FlyNavy

Skier
I have skied both the Serpo and the Ranger 96 in the same conditions (same day, same runs). I think they're equally easy to ski and have similar average flex. The Serpo may be a bit more homogenous in flex; the Ranger seems to be a touch more solid underfoot but with slightly more flexible tips. But between those two skis, it really is a coin toss.
Good to know. Did you take them into bumps at all? If so, how would you rate them for a progressing (but poor) skier in the moguls? (Said skier is advanced anywhere else on piste.)

Been considering the Serpo (93), Stance 84, Ripstick 88, Declivity 92ti/88c as options for that application.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Only soft bumps, nothing hard that would buck you around. The ranger has more rocker, so a bit more forgiving in 3D conditions. The Serpo is easy enough too. I would rate them the same in those kinds of conditions.

I think where these two skis differ slightly, is float (Ranger has slightly more), quickness edge to edge (Serpo is slightly quicker). But those differences are less than 5%.

I haven't skied the other skis you mention. I did ski the Ripstick 96 though, when it first came out. But I don't think you wanna know how that went.

In that 90-something mm waist width, if you want something equally easy to ski, playful, but plenty stanbel, you should add the Blizzard Rustler 9 to your list as well.

dx111

Booting up
Skier
So 96mm under foot is now the consensus recommendation for a ski to a groomer-only skier? Just to deal with the off-chance situation of encountering a bit of fresh over night after the piste bashing has concluded? Talk about putting the cart before the horse.

A much more reasonable compromise than jumping straight to a powder ski would be to move up from a 70 mm-ish sports carver to something like a Brahma 82 that easily handles all the mentioned conditions and performs well on the occasional off-piste venture too.

This brings to mind the many Dutch, British and other tourists one encounters on the groomed slopes of St. Anton on 100mm freeride rentals skidding down the slopes in poor form and posing a risk to themselves and others on the icy patches, all the while exhibiting not the slightest intention nor the required safety equipment to actually engage in any off-piste skiing.

ScollyNZ

Skier
Shame you didn't try a Declivity 92ti. Sounds exactly like what you were after in the weight, shape, performance balance.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This brings to mind the many Dutch, British and other tourists one encounters on the groomed slopes of St. Anton on 100mm freeride rentals skidding down the slopes in poor form and posing a risk to themselves and others on the icy patches, all the while exhibiting not the slightest intention nor the required safety equipment to actually engage in any off-piste skiing.

The best thing I've ever done on my many trips to Austria was to bring my Laser AR ( 83 wide ) to St. Anton / Ischgl the past February. It was the narrowest ski I've ever brought, and the best one I've ever brought. I'm the guilty tourist of bringing too-wide skis for the actual conditions :doh: ... no more.

ScollyNZ

Skier
The best thing I've ever done on my many trips to Austria was to bring my Laser AR ( 83 wide ) to St. Anton / Ischgl the past February. It was the narrowest ski I've ever brought, and the best one I've ever brought. I'm the guilty tourist of bringing too-wide skis for the actual conditions :doh: ... no more.
Spot on. I took 82mm to Europe for 13 days in Zermatt and 3 Valleys.
Didn't miss my 88s or 92s at all the whole time.

Sponsor

Staff online