• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Suggested replacement for my Nordica Enforcer 94

Skih20

Booting up
Skier
Hi, and thank you (in advance) for your feedback. I am a 70 year old guy, 5'9, 155 lbs, athletic--and work-out year-around. I ski approx. 15 days/yr (5-6 out west, rest in MI). I ski mostly western-type blues, with an occasional black, and seldom get off-slope or in trees, bumps and moguls. I just returned from 7 days on the slopes near Banff, using the Enforcer 94. While there, I skied about 60% heavy powder (over mostly groomed slopes) and 40% packed groomers. On those slopes, there were also days where there were a lot of push-piles to maneuver over and around. It could be my older age, but the Enforcers are just too heavy/hard to maneuver (in a 172), and I didn't feel comfortable in powder over 5". I do like the crud-busting, stable platform of the Enforcer, together with their carving ability on groomer and rough groomers---when I had the energy to push them. I guess what I'm looking for is a mid-90's/low 100 ski that I don't need to push hard to get them to work (on groomers/powder), a ski with decent groomer capabilities, and something stable enough in crud and deeper snow to maintain my confidence---i.e. a ski that I can take out west and feel relatively comfortable in all conditions. A "mini-me" version of the Enforcer in a much more maneuverable format might be the ticket, although I'm open to lighter "floaters" if some of you feel that may be the way to go. I have reviewed a number of skis online, and came away with the opinion that "It's very hard to narrow this down", and I want to avoid throwing darts. I have no brand preference.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting.... my friend and I have just finished such a search over the last several years for almost exactly the situations you describe. He settled on the 2023 Kendo's and I chose the K2 Mindbender 89ti. I really liked my friend's Kendo's but he has had delamination problems (you could search for my thread on this). Kendo's are a bit quicker, stronger on piste, but not as easy off-piste as the K2's.
FWIW, I find the Enforcer line to be just a bit too heavy and sluggish for my own tastes, so I sympathize with your issue.

We settled on 88-90 as the right width; if you want to go wider, you can find the next step up at the Mantra or Mindbender 99, although Mantra's have rep as big-boy skis (I've never been on them). Other folks will probably suggest the Blizzard Rustler 9; I tried them once but the demo tune was so bad I cannot comment on the skis at all.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
but the Enforcers are just too heavy/hard to maneuver (in a 172),
Seems like the very common red flag comment of an appropriately sized Enforcer in its proper conditions called heavy and demanding. Like many of these threads on here and elsewhere it’s very often a tune issue(usually edge high) which makes any ski, even lighter weight ones hard to ski.

I’d first check the tune of the ski as you may already own your ideal ski but haven’t seen its full potential yet.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
The Enforcers are just about the stiffest, toughest skis in that range, together with the Bonafide.

Maybe try the new (2024) Salomon Stance (medium stiff), Black Corws Serpo or Fischer Ranger 96. THese last too are great. Nit demanding, but stable and fun in all the conditions you describe.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just returned from 7 days on the slopes near Banff, using the Enforcer 94. While there, I skied about 60% heavy powder (over mostly groomed slopes) and 40% packed groomers. On those slopes, there were also days where there were a lot of push-piles to maneuver over and around. It could be my older age, but the Enforcers are just too heavy/hard to maneuver (in a 172), and I didn't feel comfortable in powder over 5". I do like the crud-busting, stable platform of the Enforcer, together with their carving ability on groomer and rough groomers---when I had the energy to push them. I guess what I'm looking for is a mid-90's/low 100 ski that I don't need to push hard to get them to work (on groomers/powder), a ski with decent groomer capabilities, and something stable enough in crud and deeper snow to maintain my confidence---i.e. a ski that I can take out west and feel relatively comfortable in all conditions. A "mini-me" version of the Enforcer in a much more maneuverable format might be the ticket, although I'm open to lighter "floaters" if some of you feel that may be the way to go. I have reviewed a number of skis online, and came away with the opinion that "It's very hard to narrow this down", and I want to avoid throwing darts. I have no brand preference.
I meant that a lot of this is in conflict, wrong tool for the job(s): you don't really need a different wrench to hammer in a nail,
sure seems like.

The parts in bold are the parts that don't work so well, for your current plan of action, probably. Unless you are a very
skilled skier, fit and practiced with narrow skis in "heavy powder." Many advanced skiers would flounder too. :)

The Enforcer 94 is a good tool for "old snow" days, not for much powder/crud. If your "push piles" were just from later in the day
build up on skied off groomers, then that Enforcer should work fine. A tune job or different technique or same width ski might be
solutions; but if the "push piles" are powder turning into crud on a "heavy" powder day, then the problem is probably
the wrong tool, at least for your situation. Please, consider the right tools, somewhat wider skis, for powder/crud day fun
and ease. Life is too short! A different ski that same width is more than likely to be just as difficult in powder, or close.
(Yeah, I've known people who swear by a certain fairly narrow ski for powder - such as the Brahma 88. When I've skied with them,
not so much. They are either near expert skiers, or they are not having nearly as much fun as folks on wider skis; and they
are finding the day... very strenuous, not relaxing so much. So please.

The Enforcer 100 would have worked, actually - but be relatively more strenuous also, and that ski would want better skills -
and conditioning - than a good fatter ski.

The Enforcer 115 or 110, say, would have made the job much easier, for most skiers who are advanced or better,
maybe intermediate or better with the Enforcer 110. There are many great powder/crud skis that are wider than 94.
Your problem might then get simpler, and be more likely to find a standout solution, in terms of fun.
(I'm 77 myself, by the way.) Wishing you the best!

Last edited:
TS
S

Skih20

Booting up
Skier
The Fischer Ranger 96 and Black Crow Serpo look interesting. Also, I am not averse to looking at a woman's ski. The Santa Ana 98 stokes my interest a bit. Again, I'm just trying to find a ski that provides a nice compromise to my shortcomings.

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Just a thought in the same line ... the Nordica Unleashed 98 may be a little easier to maneuver and a little less work without giving up TOO MUCH in the performance envelope. I hear great things about these for those who have tried them.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just a thought in the same line ... the Nordica Unleashed 98 may be a little easier to maneuver and a little less work without giving up TOO MUCH in the performance envelope. I hear great things about these for those who have tried them.
+1 My son went from a Nordica Enforcer 100 to the Unleashed 98 and is much happier.

TS
S

Skih20

Booting up
Skier
Funny that MattD mentioned the Unleashed 98. It was one of the approx 15 skis that I have reviewed very closely. I read several reviews on the Unleashed, and it's up there in the top 2 or 3 that I reviewed. It's very difficult to weigh-through the "hype" of the various reviews and get to the truth as it relates to "me". Many of the reviewers are advanced/expert skiers, and don't want to hurt feelings (of the manufacturers). I'm an advanced intermediate that gets tired after 3-4 hours on the slopes (lol). Thus, this is why I tend to use Pugski to get some candid "middle-of-the-road" feedback from people like me.

TS
S

Skih20

Booting up
Skier
+1 My son went from a Nordica Enforcer 100 to the Unleashed 98 and is much happier.
Thanks for the feedback! Candidly, the Unleashed is in the top 2-3 of the skis that I have reviewed. The Enforcer has a lot of good qualities, but I'm just looking for a ski that will provide more "balance" on those days where there is 5+ inches of fresh snow or snowing---together with the days in between where there is either nice groomer or afternoons with cut-up crud. It's a compromise between weight, metal, rocker, and various other factors. I look at it more on the lines of getting 75-80% of what you want (on any skiing characteristic) rather than compromising on settling for 50% with any particular characteristic. As I have discovered in my analysis of various skis, one can't have it all---especially in the all-mountain category---or, at least, that's what I have concluded to this point.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Funny that MattD mentioned the Unleashed 98. It was one of the approx 15 skis that I have reviewed very closely. I read several reviews on the Unleashed, and it's up there in the top 2 or 3 that I reviewed. It's very difficult to weigh-through the "hype" of the various reviews and get to the truth as it relates to "me". Many of the reviewers are advanced/expert skiers, and don't want to hurt feelings (of the manufacturers). I'm an advanced intermediate that gets tired after 3-4 hours on the slopes (lol). Thus, this is why I tend to use Pugski to get some candid "middle-of-the-road" feedback from people like me.
If you get tired after a few hours, forget the Enforcers (or Bonafides, or Mantras) and get something that actually bends. Something that you can ski (instead of it skiing you). Whoever sold you that Nordica in the first place must be called or at least nicknamed Jeremy Clarkson: "POWERRRRR"

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
Thanks for the feedback! Candidly, the Unleashed is in the top 2-3 of the skis that I have reviewed. The Enforcer has a lot of good qualities, but I'm just looking for a ski that will provide more "balance" on those days where there is 5+ inches of fresh snow or snowing---together with the days in between where there is either nice groomer or afternoons with cut-up crud. It's a compromise between weight, metal, rocker, and various other factors. I look at it more on the lines of getting 75-80% of what you want (on any skiing characteristic) rather than compromising on settling for 50% with any particular characteristic. As I have discovered in my analysis of various skis, one can't have it all---especially in the all-mountain category---or, at least, that's what I have concluded to this point.
I have a pair of Unleashed 98s and they're my daily driver out west, certainly a few dozen days on them so far. There's less metal (a partial sheet rather than 2 in the Enforcer). They are what I go to when I'm not going to spend all day on piste and/or there's 5-10cm of fresh. I'm not a particularly strong skier nor do I go particularly fast. It's fun in the bumps and in the soft chop (you ski around soft moguls tho, not blast through them). The tails are easy to release. It's a fun ski. I've owned a pair of Enforcer 110s and they're not some super crazy demanding ski, but that said I also ended up letting them go...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am a 70 year old guy, 5'9, 155 lbs, athletic--and work-out year-around.

I'm 5 years younger and 40 pounds heavier than you, but was starting to feel the same about my Enforcers. After getting input on this site, and Blister, I somewhat hesitatingly decided to try a pair of K2 Mindbender 99tis this season.

After which I quickly bought a pair of the 89tis.

For me at least, the Mindbenders seem to have some Secret Party Sauce baked into them. So. Much. Fun.

Carve? Bumps? A bit of new? Edge hold? Snappy/poppy? All yes, and then some.

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Funny that MattD mentioned the Unleashed 98. It was one of the approx 15 skis that I have reviewed very closely. I read several reviews on the Unleashed, and it's up there in the top 2 or 3 that I reviewed.
I decided to take my own advice and the feedback I've heard and bought a pair myself! Too bad I won't be able to ski them until next winter, but looking forward to it!

TS
S

Skih20

Booting up
Skier
The Enforcers are just about the stiffest, toughest skis in that range, together with the Bonafide.

Maybe try the new (2024) Salomon Stance (medium stiff), Black Corws Serpo or Fischer Ranger 96. THese last too are great. Nit demanding, but stable and fun in all the conditions you describe.
Hi Cheizz! Just wanted to let you know (after extensive research and soul-searching) that I selected the Fischer Ranger 96. For those that may come by this post, I wanted to provide the reasons for my choice, as follows:

1. Let me say first that if one wants a fully versatile ski, it's likely that these features may diminish the qualities one most seeks.
2. I chose the Ranger because I stay frontside the vast majority of the time, while occasionally getting into uncomfortable situations by accident or peer-pressure.
3. I feel that the Ranger focuses on the frontside, while it has enough versatility to get me through heavier powder days and times when I get a bit out of my comfort zone.
4. I looked closely at skis that are more maneuverable/poppy/slarvy/fun, but why focus on park-like attributes, moguls and trees at the expense of diminishing how I use the ski 95%+ of the time?
5. The Ranger doesn't have the speed, crust-busting ability, and dampness of the Enforcer 94, but it clearly has features that I wished were present in the Enforcer.
6. The Black Crow Serpo, Declivity 102 and Ranger appear to optimize and balance-out the key performance features I seek, while providing a moderate level of deeper snow capabilities, and ease of maneuverability.
7. I chose the Ranger over the Serpo because I am a light guy (157/5'9"), and with a softer tip and tail (than the Serpo), I think it will work better for me than the Serpo.
8. A number of other skis (Rustler, Ripstick, Unleashed, etc.) might have worked well, but I've been a directional skier for years, and just felt that enhancing my directional capabilities would make me a lot happier than trying to learn a new style of skiing. If I were 20 years younger, it would have been a harder decision.
9. I can get a nice discount by buying this time of year.

Now, it's time to wait for next season.

Sponsor

Staff online