• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

So much for overcrowding due to Ikon pass.

Abubob

Booting up
Skier

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Fail to see how this has anything to do with ikon pass or overcrowding.
The point is, that it isn't as crowed (all the time/everywhere) as much as people are claiming and that they can close redundant lifts without the cost of the skiers experience.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
They've probably been doing this all along, except maybe the past 2 years. I know at Camelback in PA, they used to only fire up the older lifts when it got crowded. Pretty much never on weekdays.

Might also be an indication that fewer people have the leeway to take time during a workweek...for various reasons. Would be interesting to know how the weekend numbers compare to the past 2 years

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
One of the main reasons that Aspen is my fav US resort is because it is the least crowded of all the major US resorts. This was true pre Ikon and apparently it continues even with the Ikon pass availability but doesn't one need a Premium 7 day Ikon Pass to ski Aspen?

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sure, weekdays are great. But that ignores the fact that the vast majority of visits are on weekends. That’s when the crowds become unmanageable.

There’s a reason I’m online right now (Saturday of Presidents’ Day weekend) rather than skiing.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I gave up weekend skiing two years ago. This will be my last year with a season pass to Snowbowl. I’d rather go on one or two trips a year somewhere else at this point. We are moving to the desert, the cold sucks!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm off today, mainly due to fatigue/frequent skiing. Plan to ski Snowbird tomorrow and will report back on crowds. Today and tomorrow are ikon base blackout days. Last year these Prez weekend days were lighter than other nice weekends.
Conditions at snowbird are really prime right now, 2 feet snow in last 72 hrs, 5 feet last week, and sunshine today. If crowds are light this weekend it will be strong proof in the power of blackout days to reduce crowds, esp crowds of SLC locals who might normally burn 1 of their ikon days for such good conditions.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Kirkwood still had plenty of parking available when I left at 11am. Blackout weekends rock!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Kirkwood still had plenty of parking available when I left at 11am. Blackout weekends rock!
Looking at the cams, there are a lot of empty chairs at Rose today.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Weekdays, and early mornings are the sweet spots. You're good until about 1:30pm on Sundays at the NC resorts.. then it can get NUTS. Saturday mornings things pick up around 11..

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Weekdays, and early mornings are the sweet spots. You're good until about 1:30pm on Sundays at the NC resorts.. then it can get NUTS. Saturday mornings things pick up around 11..
Opposite at my home hill in NH. Mornings are crazy. After lunch starts to get better. 130 on Sunday is a great time. All the weekenders and day trippers eat lunch then head home. Mostly locals at that point.

Last edited:

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m at Aspen today. Bluebird pow day on the Saturday of a holiday weekend. If there was ever going to be a crowded day here, you’d think today would be it.

Nope. We got to the gondola right at 9am and loaded within 10 minutes. Lifts have been ski on all day with the exception of Ajax Express for which we waited on line for about 5 minutes around 1pm.

It’s 2.40 and we’re still finding stashes of untracked. What a day!

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Crack of nooners.

Sponsor

Staff online