• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski recommendation for Advanced intermediate

fosphenytoin

Putting on skis
Skier
This post was written by my niece who is looking for new skis:

I am 21y/o female 5'6 (168cm), weigh around 128lbs (58kg), an advanced intermediate looking for new skis. My current skis are the Dynastar Legend X80 160cm.
I learnt skiing in Europe and skied several places there (Verbier, Val d'Isere/Tignes), but primarily ski in the Western US. I have visited the Salt Lake area twice, been to Taos ski week, Lake Tahoe area, and Sun Valley. My favorite region so far is the Salt Lake area because of the snow quality. I have been skiing for about 8 years now, but have averaged less than 10 days per season for the majority of it. More recently averaged around 20 days per season, and felt that I have improved a lot.

I had the Dynastar Legend for 1.5 seasons, and feel that I have already outgrown them. Since taking some lessons last season and the Taos Ski week at the start of this season I have improved carving and skiing in bumps. I enjoy skiing on groomed trails, and also lighter soft bumps. I have not done much tree skiing and do not excel at skiing deep powder. I just seem to get stuck all the time!
I wish to progress in carving and skiing more difficult bumps. I got my current skis as a hand-me down, and they were intended for a progressing intermediate. After trying the free demo in Deer Valley, I realized that my current skis weren't cutting it anymore. I continued with 2 more days of ski demo in Sun Valley.

I am looking for ideally an all-mountain ski that can perform decently in most situations seen in a west coast resort.

Rossignol Black Ops W 98 160cm
The Black Ops was first skis I tried at Deer Valley. Initially thought they were too stiff for me, but after I got used to them I really felt a connection to this ski. The Black Ops turn very easily, but are also very stable at high speed. I feel very confident in these skis to ski any condition, and they just go over the bumps as if they weren't there at all. Skiing bumps with these are a joyful experience. I tried them on two powder days at Deer Valley, mostly on trails with soft bumps that have formed over the course of the day. I tried the men's version again in Sun Valley, with hard-pack conditions on groomed trails, and found that they also performed well at carving. I feel that the stiffness of this ski gives me confidence in it. This is my favorite ski so far because of how versatile they are.

Rossignol Experience 88 162cm
I tried the Experience in Deer Valley on a powder day. I felt that they did not respond as quickly to my movements especially when compared with the Black Ops, and were generally sluggish in the bumps. Perhaps it is because that this ski is less stiff?

Rossignol Rallybird 102 162cm
The Rallybird was also a good ski on the powder day I tried it on. I believe it responded to my movements even faster than the Black Ops because it seemed lighter in the snow. However, I did not feel comfortable carving on this, and feel that this ski would only work on more powdery days and for smeared turns. The Rallybird also seems to be unstable at higher speed, reducing my confidence in the ski. Since I am looking for a ski that can perform in all terrain I believe this is not for me.

Voelkel Secret (96) 163cm
The Secret was the first ski I tried in hard packed, groomed, Sun Valley. I loved how it performed on groomed runs and its stability at higher speeds. I really enjoyed carving with it because it just seemed to want to go downhill faster and faster. The stiffness made me more confident in pushing my center of gravity around more as I carved because it was as if I was standing on a solid piece of metal. I tried doing some bumps with it however, and it seemed to be sluggish at responding to tight turns. It was very tiring to get the ski to turn faster than it wanted to, but as long as I was making longer turns on groomed runs skiing with this was effortless. I think the Secret would make a greater powder and groomed run ski! Unfortunately it doesn't fit my needs at the moment as much I would love to have it.

Blizzard Black Pearl 88 165cm
This ski was very hyped up based on the reviews, but I wasn't impressed much by it. I tried it in Sun Valley as well, and it seemed too soft for my liking, reducing my confidence in it. It didn't seem to carve well at all despite its width, and it seems to be too narrow for the snow conditions of Salt Lake. It seemed to be less responsive than pretty much every other ski I tried.

Blizzard Sheeva 9 164cm
I think the Sheeva 9 is my 2nd favourite ski that I tried. Again I felt a connection to this ski, and couldn't have enough carving with this ski on the long groomers at Sun Valley. I feel like the stiffness was just right, not too overpowering like the Voelkel, but not too soft like the Experience or Black Pearl. Again I felt very confident in the Sheeva, and think that I can tackle pretty much any terrain with this. Unfortunately I didn't get to try bumps with this, but I suspect it wouldn't be as good as the Black Ops as it seems to ski longer. To be honest if the Sheeva was slightly more stiff that would pretty much be my ideal ski.

Fischer Ranger 102 162cm
The Ranger was not at all suitable for the conditions I was skiing in in hard packed Sun Valley. I feel this would make for an amazing powder ski for smearing turns, but I wasn't able to get an edge at all in the hard packed snow.

Voelkel Kenja 88 163cm
The Kenja was probably my 3rd favourite ski that I tried. I really had fun with this carving! I even did some hard-packed bumps in Sun Valley, but again it seemed to turn too slow for that. However, I think this is by far the best ski for groomers that I tried. I loved how stiff it was and how easy to turn once I got an edge. It seemed that the ski was alive and returned all the energy I gave it while I turned! If I was just skiing in Sun Valley on well groomed run this would probably be the ski I would go for. One question I have is if I progressed more in control would a stiff ski such as this and the Secret be easier to turn in the moguls? Perhaps it is something I can grow into?

Atomic Maven 86 169cm
The Maven was also very nice in Sun Valley. By the time I tested this it had already been snowing for a bit, so a thin layer of snow had fallen on the hard packed base. I feel like it cuts through the crud very well and can also hold a very good edge. It also wasn't too stiff but stiff enough. I didn't have much opportunity to test this ski but I also enjoyed skiing this. However, I don't think this ski would excel in the more powdery conditions of Utah.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For the Kenja & Secret, the sluggishness experienced by the skier in the bumps is skier technique and tactic related.

TS
fosphenytoin

fosphenytoin

Putting on skis
Skier
For the Kenja & Secret, the sluggishness experienced by the skier in the bumps is skier technique and tactic related.
For skier technique and tactic in reference to Kenja & Secret, do you think this is something can be improved and grown into? Or is it something that will always be difficult for a particular skier with this ski?
Or is it a better idea to go with a slightly softer ski when learning how to do bumps and related terrain properly?
Also, is the Rossi Black Ops or Blizzard Sheeva going to stifle her growth as she improves as well?

TS
fosphenytoin

fosphenytoin

Putting on skis
Skier
Just throwing out a random idea here, but has your niece considered demoing a Rustler 9 in the same size?
Someone said, "The Sheeva and rustler are identical skis just with different top sheets and lengths. So a 172 sheeva 10 will ski the same as a 172 rustler 10." Is this true?

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For skier technique and tactic in reference to Kenja & Secret, do you think this is something can be improved and grown into? Or is it something that will always be difficult for a particular skier with this ski?
Or is it a better idea to go with a slightly softer ski when learning how to do bumps and related terrain properly?
Also, is the Rossi Black Ops or Blizzard Sheeva going to stifle her growth as she improves as well?

At her age and shown ability to improve, even with not many days on skis. I would say yes to growing into the skis. Few more Taos ski week and she will love those skis in the bumps.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier

Hard to say, generally a lot people that would self describe as advanced intermediates look awful on Volkls (I’m related to a few myself). The best reason to think this general rule may not apply to your niece is that she’s young, actively improving and didn’t like a lot of the models that come to mind as being more ability or weight appropriate.

Reading the blurbs I’d tend to think a Kenja, Black Ops 98 or Sheeva 9 is in order. Only idea I have that I think she hasn’t tried is a Santa Ana which might be a slightly more accessible ski than the Volkls with most of the top end. Otherwise I think she did a great job on the demo list.

TS
fosphenytoin

fosphenytoin

Putting on skis
Skier
At her age and shown ability to improve, even with not many days on skis. I would say yes to growing into the skis. Few more Taos ski week and she will love those skis in the bumps.
She did her first Taos ski week in mid December with Stuart. Did not contact you when we were at Taos, I wasn't sure you made your way to TSV yet, since it was still early in the season.

Do you think Secret 96 is too wide for agile turns? She is looking for an all mountain ski but also worried that the Kenja 88 is too narrow for the soft snow in Utah.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
She did her first Taos ski week in mid December with Stuart. Did not contact you when we were at Taos, I wasn't sure you made your way to TSV yet, since it was still early in the season.

Do you think Secret 96 is too wide for agile turns? She is looking for an all mountain ski but also worried that the Kenja 88 is too narrow for the soft snow in Utah.

We are not in TSV yet. We'll be heading out this weekend.

I have the men's version of both of those skis. Same skis, different top sheet. They are my daily drivers. So I am very familiar with both of those skis.
For UT, definitely go with the Secret 96 for a bit more float at this juncture of her skiing development. Will make skiing easier for her. As she develop her skillset, the Kenja may be more fun. Most of the 125 lb women I ski with are usually on 85/88 as their daily drivers.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Someone said, "The Sheeva and rustler are identical skis just with different top sheets and lengths. So a 172 sheeva 10 will ski the same as a 172 rustler 10." Is this true?
Thinking about it, you’re probably right. I had a vague idea of hearing that they skied differently but I’m probably mixing that up with Santa Ana vs Enforcer which are same shape different build.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I don’t doubt the OP instincts as the Blackops 98 is a very damp, stable ski that would be easy to pivot in moguls or tight spots yet still have great edge grip and carving performance. Very versatile ski indeed!
Depending on where the binding was mounted, you could even get more stability and carving performance if you mounted a touch back while still remaining very playful.

Another consideration is the Nordica Unleashed 98W which would have an even longer effective edge and is a little lighter and more forgiving underfoot than the Blackops 98. Cheat code in bumps and another great ski for Utah.
Similar build to the latest Santa Ana(1 partial metal sheet Vs the 2 full sheets of Enforcers) but it’s actually more precise yet more playful than a SA.

I’d demo the Blackops 98 and Unleashed 98 back to back to see what one you prefer but I’d bet either one would be a great ski.

TS
fosphenytoin

fosphenytoin

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for your recommendations!
We found what looks like a women's Black Ops 98 2020 edition for sale on eBay. Does this look like a good purchase? We heard from the Deer Valley Rossi representatives that the model has been unchanged from 2020.

eBay link below:
Black Ops 98 2020

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
We found what looks like a women's Black Ops 98 2020 edition for sale on eBay. Does this look like a good purchase? We heard from the Deer Valley Rossi representatives that the model has been unchanged from 2020.

eBay link below:
Black Ops 98 2020
Those skis are sold out it looks like. Did see similar ones without bindings on sale but I’d want at least 40% plus off a ski that’s 2 or 3 models old. Should be around $400 US.

An Attack2 13 95mm brake would be a good binding for this skis and you can find those for just over $100 US right now.

TS
fosphenytoin

fosphenytoin

Putting on skis
Skier

eBay link below:
Black Ops 98 2020
Thanks everyone for your input. We made an offer on eBay for $400 and was accepted this morning. @GregK That's why it is marked as sold out. She has her heart set on BlackOps, afraid Voelkl will be too much of a skis for her current state. So that's that.........

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Must have been a quick purchase after your post asking about them as I saw them minutes after and they were marked sold. You work quick over there!
That’s an amazing deal on a great combo!

Sponsor

Staff online