• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski edge grinder! Québec

FredDucati2024

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello, my first post, I am in Quebec, to optimize this purchase, there would be 3 families with 3 children each on competitive skis and I want to increase my ski sharpening capacity. the opportunities to purchase electric grinders are rather limited, I am in contact with 2 distributors, skisharpedge (4200$CAD demo machine) and tecnopower an Italie.

for the moment, the price and quality of the product I would go with the company tecnopower, I have a quote at $3500CAD directly from the company. I would like to know if there is another option for me?

I often see this machine passing by which seems to be appreciated, snowglide AF-C, if you have any reviews or comments. I am listening to comments and experiences.

tanks

IMG_0077.png
IMG_0078.jpeg
IMG_0079.jpeg

TS
FredDucati2024

FredDucati2024

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I am aware that this is a discussion that is often talked about. Possible that I can speak with other people from Quebec who have experience

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Where are you in relation to Pleissiville? The Sidecut rep lives there. They have electric stuff too. Canadian company out of Whistler.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
The first decision you need to make is whether you want to work the ski base up or edge up. I like edge up but some people are not comfortable with that. If several different people are gonna use the machine, you should probably go with base up in a vise.

Some of the fancy machines require the cutting pressure to be set with each pass. That's beyond my skill level and I wouldn't use any of them, regardless that maybe World Cup techs use them. I've seen a guy ski telemark skis switch down the steepest trails at Whiteface. That doesn't mean I can do it.

Around here the Razor Tune is pretty standard for race programs. It works base up, it sets the grinding pressure automatically and the stone is self-dressing. Maybe you won't see it on the WC, but you definitely see in school programs. You should be able to get a RT with a battery for around $1000 CDN. The Swix EVO Pro is an even a cheaper alternative, but you need to hold the ski edge up.

Hope this helps.

dm

PeterMN

Booting up
Skier
Search the forums for Snowglide AF-c.

As I stated in previous posts, I have recently purchased the AF-c and it works great. The price shipped to your location should be significantly cheaper than $3,500CAD as I think I paid $1,900.00 shipped to Midwest USA... but Im guessing that you are not deciding on price as the #1 factor.

The AF-c grinds with the base of the ski up, clamped in a vise. I use the Swix World Cup vise... Im sure other vises would work just as well, such as the Beast or whatever you already own.

After getting your skis angles set and sidewall planed, the AF-c will get your skis extremely sharp in very little time. Subsequent passes remove very little material if you are concerned about longevity of the skis. At the end of the season I was running the AF-c over the skis twice a week but only one pass per side edge.... each pass was about 10 seconds in total... so about 2 minutes per pair of skis start to finish (this includes placing brake retainers, flipping ski in vise, switching skis etc).

After using the machine I have found that the average tune (of other race parents with considerable experience) with hand tools is not quite as sharp as the machine... I think it is due to the variability in pressure one places on the side edge while pulling the file or diamond stone... anyway I am very pleased with the results and speed of the AF-c... and I would strongly recommend it to any race parent looking to save time with increased quality in results.

Good luck

PMN

Sponsor