• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SG in st Moritz GS is Valdisere

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Unravels as I write, won’t spoil, but very windy for the ladies in Switzerland. interruptions and a few surprises. No Kling this year as she has taken a year off for personal reasons. This was one if her favorite hills.
GS in France, nice 1st. Challenging hill that really puts the skiers skills and strength on test. 2nd in an hour or so.

As a side note: good effort from US women in XC qualifications sprint today!

Last edited:

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m “working”, so watching scores live online....

I will not need the
Spoiler alert not needed today.
(that was supposed to be a spoiler) alert

I’m behaving after @Tricia scolded me yesterday :(

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
Swede

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Phew! The r30 really allows more dynamic and exciting moves from athletes at the WC level.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I will not need the (that was supposed to be a spoiler) alert

I didn't scold you. @4ster mentioned the spoiler and I thought it would be helpful if used the spoiler alert, and that (perhaps) you didn't know the feature was there. :D

Getting to know the feature can be tricky.
I'll post an instruction on it in the racing area.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I will not need the
Spoiler alert not needed today.
(that was supposed to be a spoiler) alert

I have created a sticky at the top of the race and competition area with instructions on how to use spoiler alerts.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I'm not sure how long we need to post spoiler alerts. But if they mean something to any of us, I'll stick with it, even though I assume everybody knows the results by now, 12 hours later. Have a few thoughts;

This is one of the absolute classics on the WC tour. The hill is just brutal and unrelenting. Terrain, rollovers, blind turns. It has it all. Today, as always the winner expressed that winning felt great, but skiing it felt horrible. Alexis Pinturault won. Awesome for him, in his home country. Stefan Luitz of Germany continues to ski really well, and was second. Hirscher, first after the first run has a big bobble in the second run, and being Hirscher, was able to round out the podium and stay in the GS lead. He put his hand right through the inside of a gate early on, had a panel on his arm for a bit, them he simply charged, hammer down like....Hirscher. Wow,

This GS mens field is very skilled, and very deep. We're going to see great skiing this season, IMO a combination of the group, the new 30M skis, and what we'll see for course sets as everybody gets dialed in. Today they had to deal with high wind, lowered the start, but they pulled it off.

So, about the Americans. We had three in the top 30. They have had worse days, but.....Tommy Ford was sitting in 10th after run one, and unfortunately dropped to 22nd after the second. He has real speed, and is great to watch. He needs to put two runs together , and he'd be top 10. That's his next step.

Jitloff finished 20th. Remember he was cut by the USST, and is racing independently. This is about where Jit, when healthy should be {if nor faster}. Pretty good result.

Ligety had a lousy first run. He admitted it, going from nice perfect CO, and buffed Beaver Creek, to the Face de Bellevarde. He was the last guy to get a second run, finishing 30th in the first. Running first in the second run, he was top five. Pintu and Luitz beat him, and Hirscher clearly would have without the panel. Ted finished 15th. So......lousy first run. We're not seeing Mr. GS...yet. He's a top five guy, and a podium threat and perhaps we'll see him get a bit faster. Let's hope that his back holds up.

Two of the younger guys, Ryan Cochran Siegle and Hig Roberts were real close to a second run. 33rd and 35th. Just .3 out. On a hill like this, that's pretty solid. However for a dose of reality, there were over ten guys their age or younger who did make a second run. Daver Choudunsky DNF'd.

Still perplexes the outside world that guys like Jit and Hig are not "good enough" to be on the team. Jit is older, a year younger than Ligety, 32. Hig is just 26, but didn't make criteria and was dropped.

Canadians had a tough day. Erik Read was 34th first run. Phil Brown was 42nd. Trevor Philp DNF'd.

We're going to have to look for the bright spots, and hope that Ted stays healthy.

Skiing on the new 30M skis is just "a whole lot better."

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@4ster, What is the expectation of timing for spoiler alerts?
:huh:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm thinking zero expectation in this day-and-age of the info being out there in realtime.

But in terms of forum decorum? Maybe 6pm Eastern?

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I love getting results and commentary. Whenever. Don't care about spoilers. Might seek out the competition based on the spoiler. Please post! If the spoiler feature makes you more comfortable, great. This is, for some of us, our exposure to ski racing. Give all your insight to us.

Thanks,
Eric

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
@4ster, What is the expectation of timing for spoiler alerts?
:huh:

Just finished watching races! So hard to resist opening this thread last night since I was tagged in it.
Last season I got my head bit off on epic for even suggesting using the spoiler alert, so I just stopped looking at the forums till after I had watched. I think as long as the result is not mentioned in the thread title, it's not that big a deal. At least for me I have just learned to go off the grid. Again, being in the west I may not get around to watching the race till the evening, maybe 15 hours after its actual conclusion.
For someone like @Swede the Race is ancient history by the time I watch. Not really fair to ask people to hold off on discussing a hot topic for that long so I will bow out & just ask for reasonable discretion.

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I do wish I was in Val D’Isere right now with some fat skis & good goggles ;)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When I saw some of the replays, I thought....Its dumping!
...and then it was holy crap he's looking strong!

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
He skied like Hirscher does. One of the toughest hills on the WC tour, absolutely crappy visibility. I assume that the course crews were raking and shoveling so the track was pretty clean. But, that hill has so much terrain, rollovers, breakovers, that it is really tough. Hirscher is so strong, so compact, and he's almost always centered on the skis, skis on the snow, great skiing. He's also just an incredible fighter and competitor.

IMO, the tougher the situation, the more my money is on him. In either SL or GS. He's always right in the mix, right near the top in a very deep field. Always fun to watch.

Sponsor

Staff online