• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
My buddy is ready for new skis. He's about 5'10", maybe 200#, likes to ski fast. I don't think he's a technically very good skier--I've only seen him make S turns when I challenged him, and they were done OK. His usual ski tracks are slash left, slash right, slash left, etc. He skis anything anywhere, but as fast & straight as possible. Except that I know him, I wouldn't want to be downhill from him. I've never seen him fall. Anyway, he's looking for skis that are probably described as front side oriented all mountain. His current front side skis are Head RD slalom, and he's ready for something more versatile. And, he has bad knees and wants very protective bindings. Suggestions please.

Head Supershape i.Titan is one I've thought to suggest to him to demo (170 or 177?). Maybe Monster 88 (size?). And....

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
If he is skiing in Washington state, where there is plenty of fresh snow on the hill, I'll agree with the Monster 88. If the snow is less soft and deep where he skis then he needs a cheater GS ski to accommodate his style of skiing. longer turn radius, but closer to 70 mm than 85, imo.

At the described speeds, he will only be able to make clean turns using a ski with a longer turn radius. If his ski won't make clean turns, he will have trouble getting better (unless he slows down and it doesn't seem like he wants to do that).

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Head Titans; 177 is a lot of ski.

Lots of ski, but for some reason it doesn't seem to punish you much for getting on the tails. To me its the perfect blend between a cheater GS and SL ski that can handle some fresh snow. You can also smear them at slow speeds, truly a versatile ski.

Love mine tuned to 1/3, a better frontside ski than my Brahma or Monster 83 by far.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Nah...he really needs to get off those race slalom skis and on something more versatile.

It's not the ski that isn't versatile, it's the skier. Titans aren't likely to solve the problem.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
My buddy is ready for new skis. He's about 5'10", maybe 200#, likes to ski fast. I don't think he's a technically very good skier--I've only seen him make S turns when I challenged him, and they were done OK. His usual ski tracks are slash left, slash right, slash left, etc. He skis anything anywhere, but as fast & straight as possible. Except that I know him, I wouldn't want to be downhill from him. I've never seen him fall. Anyway, he's looking for skis that are probably described as front side oriented all mountain. His current front side skis are Head RD slalom, and he's ready for something more versatile. And, he has bad knees and wants very protective bindings. Suggestions please.

Head Supershape i.Titan is one I've thought to suggest to him to demo (170 or 177?). Maybe Monster 88 (size?). And....

I have a pair of the Head Monster 88 in 184cm and really love them. Demoed the Monster 98's 177cm the other day and really enjoyed them as well. Regarding bindings I have no clue. I have heard some good things about Knee bindings but no direct experience with them.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I have a pair of the Head Monster 88 in 184cm and really love them. Demoed the Monster 98's 177cm the other day and really enjoyed them as well. Regarding bindings I have no clue. I have heard some good things about Knee bindings but no direct experience with them.

Knee hasn't passed TUV testing and ha e a kooky amount of stand height.

LeLeedler

Racer at Heart
Skier

I wouldn't take something like the Blizzard Brahma off the table, not a terrible choice but, I would say it'll beat him up a bit until he cleans up his skiing. If you backseat in the Brahma you'll know it. So maybe not the best choice but, it may teach him to ski a bit better.

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
If he likes Blizzard, and wants something a bit more spoony but still with good feedback, the Rustler 10 is the way to go. It is a little wide, but I have found it to be a competent technical ski (for what it is, a twin rocker 102 underfoot that isn't too stiff). The Brahma may be too much ski.

Stockli laser AX if he wants to stay narrower. There is no better technical all-mountain ski made today.

TS
PTskier

PTskier

Pass Pulled
The Stockli AX sounds like a good choice.

I must have done a poor job of describing my friend's skiing. He's a good, strong skier. His preference is to ski fast & straight, make a check turn, then ski fast & straight the other way. That's just him. He's made smooth clean S turns when I've challenged him, that's just not his preference.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier

I must have done a poor job of describing my friend's skiing. He's a good, strong skier. His preference is to ski fast & straight, make a check turn, then ski fast & straight the other way. That's just him. He's made smooth clean S turns when I've challenged him, that's just not his preference.

"Except that I know him, I wouldn't want to be downhill from him"

If he is out of control enough not to want to be downhill from him, then he needs lessons, not a new ski.

TS
PTskier

PTskier

Pass Pulled
I didn't say that he was out of control. He's in control. I said that I'm OK being downhill from him. He just looks like a runaway train. I kid him and tell him that he has two speeds--stuck throttle and kill switch.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

Convince him that he can ski faster if he makes cleaner turns instead of check turns. It shouldn't be hard to convince him, because it's the truth.

Sponsor

Staff online