• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I know many check Ebay for deals. Just picked up a slightly used North Face Triclimate Waterproof Ski Jacket 3-1 for $49. Seller used it 4 times.

Set your searches. :) Now if I could find the same on high end shell, I would be golden.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Congrats.

I bought my brand new obermeyer purple ski jacket from an eBay retailer from Canada.

My skis also usually come from eBay. Many ski shops sell their inventory this way.

Lots of good deals out there.

Last edited:

eltigra

Yankee in the south
Skier
I know many check Ebay for deals. Just picked up a slightly used North Face Triclimate Waterproof Ski Jacket 3-1 for $49. Seller used it 4 times.

Set your searches. :) Now if I could find the same on high end shell, I would be golden.

Sometimes you snag some good deals on geartrade.com

MaCC

Booting up
Skier
I used to buy all my softwoods used from thrift, consignment, or eBay. There was happiness in my savings but I did not understand what I paid for in performance until I owned something new or NWT from a discount source. Here is the secret I did not know, performance shells and pants depend on DWR (durable waterproof repellant) as a significant part of what makes them work. Will lack of DWR make a jacket not waterproof? Nope not at all, but it will cause it to "wet" out and not breath like it is designed to do. So what if it doesnt breath? Well then you sweat like HE double L inside and everything becomes wet from your own bodies moisture. Also, when the wetness (perspiration) does not escape you have a high humidity level inside your garments and it makes you very cold. Live and learn I did. Now I will bargain shop for new and not buy used anymore. I will take very good care of my garments and use them until they do not perform like new. Then do you peddle them off on some unknowing sap? Nope I am going to trade my jacket in with a brand that takes trade ins and gives you a discount for your old jacket !! Win Win !

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW, DWR coatings can be reactivated by washing the garment. Also DWR coatings can be re-applied.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like the spray on more than the wash in. The wash in is less work. But it makes the inside of the garment grabby. A pain to put on sometimes.

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
I have scored North Face, Spyder, and Burton gear at TJM & Marshalls- same parent company as Sierra Trading Post so I think a lot of ski overstock gets sent to the retail stores. My Spyder jacket was over $600 retail, I paid under $100 new.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Aren't TNF 3 in 1 jackets essentially a shell with a zip out insulating jacket layer? Hence 3 in 1 shell, light insulated jacket. insulated shell when zipped in.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Anyone looking to trade bindings DIN 12 for a few lightly used large ski jackets?

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Aren't TNF 3 in 1 jackets essentially a shell with a zip out insulating jacket layer? Hence 3 in 1 shell, light insulated jacket. insulated shell when zipped in.
Correct, that is what makes a great deal for me. Inside is a puffy coat. First one I've had and so far really like it for this time of year. The older 3in1 with fleece liners, I never really liked. To darn heavy.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes I have one of those, the puffy with synthetic insulation and I use it mostly stand alone as a spring or fall jacket. I have a down puffy for my insulating layer.

I have a kind of thin fleece vest I use sometimes and a super thin fleece shirt I also use sometimes. All the old thick fleeces I have are in a box, 1 step from going to a donation box.

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
I have scored North Face, Spyder, and Burton gear at TJM & Marshalls- same parent company as Sierra Trading Post so I think a lot of ski overstock gets sent to the retail stores. My Spyder jacket was over $600 retail, I paid under $100 new.

TJX company is opening a lot of STP retail stores, and I would assume that especially in those markets the bulk of the outdoor stuff is going to STP instead of TJ Maxx and Marshalls. In any case, I stopped into a brand new STP retail store for the first time (Newton, MA) and was not really impressed with the ski stuff. Maybe they just haven't gotten their ski stuff in yet, but even when they do, you are paying the full STP price, not getting the 25% discount you add with online coupons. However, it is very nice to be able to return online purchases to a store and avoid return shipping fees.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have found some really great deals at TJ Maxx. But not so much in recent years...though I do keep looking just in case.

Sponsor