• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Old New England skier. How old? I remember wooden skis.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I don't only remember them, I skied on at least two different pair, maybe more, I'm too old to remember. I also remember double lace-up leather boots, and anyone who complains about what a pain it is to get your boots on and off today doesn't have a clue.

Now, if you skied on wooden skis without metal edges, then you've got me.

Welcome to SkiTalk! You'll find a bunch of us codgers around here.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I don't only remember them, I skied on at least two different pair, maybe more, I'm too old to remember. I also remember double lace-up leather boots, and anyone who complains about what a pain it is to get your boots on and off today doesn't have a clue.

Did that stuff, and remember helping Dad install metal edges on our skis.

One upping this crowd, on anything, is a very tough assignment.

Welcome. I am just down I-90 from you. Where do you normally ski?

TS
J

JimD

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier

Yep - wood skis, bear-trap bindings, leather lace-ups, bamboo poles ... and rope tows. Dad was a ski instructor at Blandford (a now-defunct Berkshire ski area), and lift tickets for us kids were 50¢. Bit more these days...

TS
J

JimD

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Did that stuff, and remember helping Dad install metal edges on our skis.

One upping this crowd, on anything, is a very tough assignment.

Welcome. I am just down I-90 from you. Where do you normally ski?
I don't recall installing edges, but we did get the newfangled black plastic tape for a "no-wax" bottom.
My sister lives up in the Adirondacks, so my ski trips usually involve Whiteface and Gore. Good buddy had a timeshare at Steamboat, so we used to do that once a year, but he got old.

Abubob

Booting up
Skier
My first pair of skis were wooden but were quickly replaced by fiberglass K2 knockoffs. My first ski boots were rubber and the coldest dang things ever. My second pair of boots were leather lace ups with a lace up liner. I felt like an Olympic racer.

JamesB

Booting up
Skier
Yep - wood skis, bear-trap bindings, leather lace-ups, bamboo poles ... and rope tows. Dad was a ski instructor at Blandford (a now-defunct Berkshire ski area), and lift tickets for us kids were 50¢. Bit more these days...
Blandford? That's a name I've not heard in a long time. I grew up in CT and have very very distant memories of some early trips to Blandford and Mt. Tom!

Sponsor

Staff online