• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Okay apparently I am skiing Jay Peak this year - tips, advice?

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting. Have you also eliminated spices and strong flavors from your diet? Bought a white Buick LeSabre?
More like I couldn't afford to keep destroying and replacing my ski gear every year!!! LMAO I'm gettn' old....... I gotta chill! :beercheer:

FYI Everyone:

The other item... forget eating in the Newport area if you're not at Miso Hungry. Quebec is Foodie paradise! Just hop across the border and eat literally just about anywhere....... and not to mention the bread, wine and croissants!!! OMG

Here's one for ya..... hop skip and a jump.... $$$$$ but you can also find much cheaper eats.

For shopping, head to Quartier DIX30 down the road in Brossard. I used to live near Paramus, NJ and this is like 7 Paramus' put together. It's literally a mall city. Never mind that, the fashion there puts even Manhattan to shame! LOL :beercheer:

Lastly for interesting ski experiences head up to Valinouet up in the Mont Valin north of Jonquierre, and/or do some guided hut to hut/BC in the Chic Chocs......Beware: It's snows insanely hard up there... and it's FRIGID. I've been turned around on snowmobile trips many times while on trail sleds. The trails just end bec it's snowing so crazy hard.

Last edited:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Any tips or advice about cool stuff to check out on the mountain? Any favorite trail pods and trees?
I haven't skied Jay in a couple years...but it still ranks as one of my favorite mountains in the east (it may even be my #1). My main tip is to make an effort to meet a local that skis the trees...there are so many great runs not contained on the map. I've followed multiple regulars on different occasions, and everyone has their own secrets and favorites.

TS
ilovepugs

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't skied Jay in a couple years...but it still ranks as one of my favorite mountains in the east (it may even be my #1). My main tip is to make an effort to meet a local that skis the trees...there are so many great runs not contained on the map. I've followed multiple regulars on different occasions, and everyone has their own secrets and favorites.
Hopefully I’ll make some friends at ski school!

TS
ilovepugs

ilovepugs

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
More like I couldn't afford to keep destroying and replacing my ski gear every year!!! LMAO I'm gettn' old....... I gotta chill! :beercheer:

FYI Everyone:

The other item... forget eating in the Newport area if you're not at Miso Hungry. Quebec is Foodie paradise! Just hop across the border and eat literally just about anywhere....... and not to mention the bread, wine and croissants!!! OMG

Here's one for ya..... hop skip and a jump.... $$$$$ but you can also find much cheaper eats.

For shopping, head to Quartier DIX30 down the road in Brossard. I used to live near Paramus, NJ and this is like 7 Paramus' put together. It's literally a mall city. Never mind that, the fashion there puts even Manhattan to shame! LOL :beercheer:

Lastly for interesting ski experiences head up to Valinouet up in the Mont Valin north of Jonquierre, and/or do some guided hut to hut/BC in the Chic Chocs......Beware: It's snows insanely hard up there... and it's FRIGID. I've been turned around on snowmobile trips many times while on trail sleds. The trails just end bec it's snowing so crazy hard.
Manoir Hovey is on my list of places to go! Too bad I won’t have a partner to go there with but perhaps it’s time for a girls’ weekend.

Did not know about Quartier DIX30 (although to be honest the downsizing has brought to my attention how much unnecessary crap I’ve accumulated) or Mont Valin. I’m probably taking a trip up to Le Massif de Charlevoix but maybe I should check out Mont Valin in addition!

TS
ilovepugs

ilovepugs

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I do wish Miso Hungry would change its offensive and cringe-worthy name. I’ve enjoyed numerous delicious meals there, but I suspect the Japanese-born owner allowed her non-Asian husband to guide her in name selection without any appreciation of the ugly stereotypes that plague Asian Americans.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Have we not discussed Zack's on the Rocks? I suppose that belongs in the retro forum.
Unfortunately, I never even heard of the place? How I don't know. I have slept and eaten and stopped at the ski shop in Montgomery Center more than a few times.

More on skiing Jay:

The Green Mountain Flyer chair is generally referred to as the Green Mountain Freezer, AKA Freezer for short. You crest a ridge near the top and a nice fresh breeze from Canada assaults you looking ferociously for any chinks in your armour. Have your shit zipped - what I like to call"du chair mode"

When front side lifts are closed: Tram and Freezer, you can ride the Bonnie ( Bonaventure chair) and take just a short, like less than 100 yards along a cat track, hike to access a whole side of the mountain where no one will be skiing. This happens during storms and often the deepest snow piles up in Beaver Pond glades. You will have them all to yourself!

Over on Stateside we have spent entire stormy days skiing the out of bounds, side country trees which are mostly wide open. A bit tight and steep on top but that mellows and thins out quickly. You are out of the wind and you can see and wow there is some great skiing! There is also a traverse from a little ways down, below the tight steep top, on skiers right of Timbuktu glade. I generally don't ski Timbuktu because big bumps and trees don't really do it for me. I like my trees with smaller bumps and my bigger bumps without trees.

All this Jay Peak talk is making me miss the place. Might have to make my way there this season!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup.

Had a scrumptious lunch at Taverne 1855 in Magog, just days or even hours before the pandemic really hit. I see their reviews are mixed, now, so who knows. The point is that there is a real food culture close by.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, @Lauren - are you going to Diva East this year?
TBD at this point...

I would like to get over to Jay this year, and I think I'm overdue for a Diva Gathering. But I haven't made plans yet.

When front side lifts are closed: Tram and Freezer, you can ride the Bonnie ( Bonaventure chair) and take just a short, like less than 100 yards along a cat track, hike to access a whole side of the mountain where no one will be skiing. This happens during storms and often the deepest snow piles up in Beaver Pond glades. You will have them all to yourself!
One of my favorite days at Jay was up there with the coldest days I've ever skied (like painful finger-tingling cold). The Tram and Freezer were closed, so this ^^^ is the loop we took. We also did short runs down Goat Run, and then short 5-minute walks up Alligator Alley to get over to Everglades. Untouched runs every time. The downside is you then have to take the Metro quad up and traverse back to Stateside...overall...worth it.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yup.

Had a scrumptious lunch at Taverne 1855 in Magog, just days or even hours before the pandemic really hit. I see their reviews are mixed, now, so who knows. The point is that there is a real food culture close by.

Have you had a boat up there?

TS
ilovepugs

ilovepugs

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
New place has an obstructed view of Memphremagog. Obstructed, as in a dilapidated building is across the street on lakefront property, but that’s the NEK for you.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I do wish Miso Hungry would change its offensive and cringe-worthy name. I’ve enjoyed numerous delicious meals there, but I suspect the Japanese-born owner allowed her non-Asian husband to guide her in name selection without any appreciation of the ugly stereotypes that plague Asian Americans.
FYI I hear ya! I know them a bit and I've had conversations w/ them. Culturally, it's actually an ode to an overarching anti-war theme done in an incredibly deep and artistic film called "Full Metal Jacket". On the surface yes offensive, but if you dig deeper into the meaning and the true art of that groundbreaking Kubrick film, it will start to flower and you will see many of the perspectives intended to be represented in this deep film.

FYI - I'm a total "Art & Film" buff if you couldn't tell LOL !!!!!! :beercheer:

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Have you had a boat up there?
Serious issues around boating Memphremagog. I usually ended up w/ a gross brown ring around my boat every time I took it there and cruised for at least 15 min. That's never happened in the other areas I boat here in VT. I stopped going when 7 Days released the article about the amount of sewage legally allowed to "seep" in to the lake from the landfill. It's been a major sticking point between US and CA where each blames the other.

Sponsor

Staff online