• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New ski time. Looking at Rossi Hero Elite LT (or MT?) and Fischer RC4 Curv GT... thoughts?

crayefish

Booting up
Skier
Hi everyone,

After a decades of renting piste skis (or simply bombing down the slopes on my powder skis), I've decided to bite the bullet and get myself a set of carvers before my next trip in just over a week. I can get a very good deal on some Rossi Hero Elites and also the Fischer RC4 Curv GTs (with a preference for both brands in particular), so I was looking for some input/feedback on either of these skis and which would likely suit my needs/skills. I've read all the reviews I can find but to be honest they haven't helped much as both seem highly rated.

A little about me: I'm 6'4", weigh 95 kgs (210 lbs) and I've been skiing about 1 week a year for the past decade and a half. I'd describe myself as pretty advanced... probably not very pretty technique as self taught but I can bomb down any piste just fine. I do a bit of off-piste skiing with my Rossi Soul 7s and often use them on the slopes too (as I don't own other skis). However, over 80 kph they get pretty damn flappy due to the light tips.

I love to carve big long turns at high speed on mainly reds and blues (on most blacks I need to do some skid turns) so I am looking for a mid/large radius ski that will be stable at high speeds (over 100 kph). However, as I tend to ski all day long, I want something that can at handle some end-of-day conditions or busier slopes, even if it won't be what the ski is good at. I'm quite an aggressive skier, but perhaps don't want a ski that will destroy my legs after half a day. Oh, and I avoid moguls at all costs.

The Hero Elite LT with SPX 14 seems to be the sort of thing I am looking for with it's stability and long turn radius, however, I am concerned it might be too much of a one trick pony and I'd end up cursing it on those days when conditions are less than perfect. Maybe a tip detune might help here? The Elite MT definitely looks more manageable/versatile but it seems from reviews that it's a lot less fun than the LT when conditions are good.

For 130 euros more I could get the Fischer RC4 Curv GT which has some great reviews and appears to be a higher tier ski. However, it looks like it might be more demanding/tiring for my level. I'm currently leaning towards the Hero Elite LT as a result.

Given the above and my love of long carved turns at high speeds on reds/blues, does anyone have any recommendations for me? I can handle a ski that needs some focus and isn't ideal in chopped up conditions (I often use my Soul 7s on icy slopes after all!) but it shouldn't be a total handful. My boots are Fischer Ranger Free 130s. Let me know if any other info is needed.

Sponsor

Staff online