• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

My spring wax concoction

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
I used this last Saturday in full out Spring conditions and it worked great, using it again tomorrow, it will be 41 at 9am and 51 at 10am.

FFC P2 smeared on, wait an hour, Pro Glide and then nylon brush.
Dominator Butter, rubbed on, Pro Glide, horsehair and then nylon brush.
Dominator Graphite Zoom, rubbed on, Pro Glide, horsehair and then nylon brush.

My theory is that the Zoom takes care of the first few runs when the snow will be more firm, then it exposes the butter to the softening snow. Underneath it all for when the butter wears off is still a decent base, although not a warm weather base.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I used this last Saturday in full out Spring conditions and it worked great, using it again tomorrow, it will be 41 at 9am and 51 at 10am.

FFC P2 smeared on, wait an hour, Pro Glide and then nylon brush.
Dominator Butter, rubbed on, Pro Glide, horsehair and then nylon brush.
Dominator Graphite Zoom, rubbed on, Pro Glide, horsehair and then nylon brush.

My theory is that the Zoom takes care of the first few runs when the snow will be more firm, then it exposes the butter to the softening snow. Underneath it all for when the butter wears off is still a decent base, although not a warm weather base.
IDK about Zoom over the Butter overlay. Seems a bit strange. The prior sounds great.

TS
G

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
Don’t want to ski off the soft butter on the early morning firm snow. That’s my thinking. No?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Don’t want to ski off the soft butter on the early morning firm snow. That’s my thinking. No?

I guess the question is: how do you know the layers are staying separate - and not just blending the Butter into the Zoom?

If we do assert that they are separate, then the only thing keeping the Zoom on the ski is cohesion through a weak layer of Butter.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
50+ years skiing I've cycled through a lot of things from trying to nail the temp mix to full base structure spring specific and different combinations. The thing I keep circling back to is simply rubbing on a warm temp wax and leaving it bumpy, don't cork, don't iron. the bumps act as structure reducing the suction you get hitting puddles.

Downside is it doesn't last very long.. reapply at lunch break.

altabrig

Drifting like a long radius with some tail rocker.
Skier
Is the wintersteiger yellow or toko red backshop any better than all temp for loosening the grip of grabby spring snow? Like everyone, I hate that PM bottom of the hill over the bars slowdown.

I've use toko red for summer storage but never skied it.

Not hoarding any magic fluoro bars here.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is the wintersteiger yellow or toko red backshop any better than all temp for loosening the grip of grabby spring snow? Like everyone, I hate that PM bottom of the hill over the bars slowdown.

I've use toko red for summer storage but never skied it.

Not hoarding any magic fluoro bars here.
Yellow is the traditional color for warm temp wax. So that would be the right call for spring slush.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The BEST I ever remember was the Toko Silver.. But, I think it had lead or mercury in it so Flouro hold my beer LOL!
1710435776649.png

altabrig

Skier
Na 11

And don't brush your teeth with it in your toothpaste.

Last edited:

altabrig

Skier
I may mix some black graphite in yellow just to see. No LF here...I think.

Agreed on the structure. Got a great wavy pattern off a Montana that made a big difference. Wonder if Wintersteiger has similar.

TS
G

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
Well my concoction worked really well again today. Perhaps the layers don't come into play in order and the waxes mix together more and act as one conglomerate.

If so what I did is pretty much what SlideWright said. Base wax, Butter and Graphite Zoom.

I could rub a little LF Yellow in there, I have some.

altabrig

Skier
Man - after getting burnt some 45 years ago after being a bit too close to a pea-sized piece of that stuff mingling with water, I couldn't even sit close to to my computer while watching that video!
Not sure why the bozo who posted it put Ca 20 instead of Na 11.

Still wouldnt put it in my toothpaste.

Not sure I want F 9 in my wax or toothpaste.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I guess the question is: how do you know the layers are staying separate - and not just blending the Butter into the Zoom?

If we do assert that they are separate, then the only thing keeping the Zoom on the ski is cohesion through a weak layer of Butter.
They are likely to stay separate because the wax is still in a solid state, during the Pro-glide rubbing motion.

If an iron was used in the end, the wax layers would melt and mix into a concoction of unknown final properties.

TS
G

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
The last time I just crayoned both on and rubbed them in together and it worked well. It's encouraging to think as @snwbrdr said that they might stay separate, I'll try the two step rubbing in approach next time. It's back to cold weather here now.

Sponsor

Staff online