• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Gathering @ Laurel Mountain / Seven Springs, Feb 7 to 9 2020

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
We have good for you snow, heavy "powder" and ice between due to wind blown and skier traffic. Light turn out. We will see who might show this afternoon if we can get to the meet up. Front Side 6 is down.
"Good for me" includes one pretty good fall, a couple of near falls, and learning that the beige snow from some of the guns is much slower/grabbier than the natural snow.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Tougher than Taos? :ogbiggrin:
Frankly, yes.

Partly because I was on my Stockli Laser SCs... which weren't the best choice.

The afternoon was much better on the north face... partly better weather, better conditions, and I was getting used to the variable-ness.

Only 16 runs total for the day. Laurel should be in great shape tomorrow.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
That looks a whole lot better than I would have expected. Saw a few flakes here at the south edge of the Poconos...no accumulation.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^Pretty sweet rasta hut there!

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks to Rob and Kathy for being great hosts at both Seven Springs and Laurel Mountain... and thanks to everyone that came out. It was a good weekend with some actual winter weather for once this winter.

On to the pics... I already posted a few of these, but just to be complete....

Seven Springs, Friday

20200207_095704 ACR Conv.jpg
Tyrol lift at Seven Springs... we were "stuck" on the front side for the morning runs, given that the two lifts that head to the North Face weren't running... some people were hiking along the base/parking over to the other side.

20200207_130805 ACR Conv.jpg
@LaurelHillCraze on the backside on one of the more groomed runs.... snow was really piled up in places

20200207_130813 ACR Conv.jpg
Same run as above... and snowing!

20200207_134429 ACR Conv.jpg
North Face, which we skied twice, and I crashed on once

Laurel Mountain, Saturday

20200208_090958 ACR Conv.jpg
The only lift at Laurel, in the early morning with lots of crowds in evidence ogsmile

20200208_091008 ACR Conv.jpg
My skis for the weekend.... pretty good choice for Laurel for the most part; Less good choice the day before at Seven Springs

20200208_092640 ACR Conv.jpg
Guns on in the morning all over Laurel... they shut them off mid-morning which was good - some were pretty much spraying grippy slush

20200208_092944 ACR Conv.jpg
@LaurelHillCraze on the right, and his wife Kathy, our hosts for Laurel Mountain

20200208_104941 ACR Conv.jpg
@theNitza and George on Innsbruck run

20200208_104948 ACR Conv.jpg
The original lodge from the 1940's

20200208_111530 ACR Conv.jpg
The view in some clearing clouds in the afternoon. It's a great view from the top

20200208_111610 ACR Conv.jpg
The group for Saturday - I need help with the first couple of names... L-to-R: ?, ?, @JohnL, @LaurelHillCraze, @skibeachbum, Kathy, @theNitza, Marcus, George

20200208_113108 ACR Conv.jpg
The dropoff onto Lower Wildcat ... it had pretty good snow with some patches of ice, but held up pretty well throughout the day

20200208_113112 ACR Conv Pano.jpg
Wider view of the dropoff and far slope

20200208_113120 ACR Conv.jpg
Marcus and @JohnL at the top of Lower Wildcat

20200208_113504 ACR Conv.jpg
Lower Wildcat from the bottom by the lift

20200208_142634 ACR Conv.jpg
@LaurelHillCraze about to give a tour of the original lodge

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Great to see this event was a success! I was there in spirit.
Marcus looking mighty sharp in black and white. Even JohnL trying to go from dirtbag to fashionista:):duck:
1581298838901.png

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
@dbostedo, thanks for taking the time to shoot then post some pictures. Thanks to all who came out to share my home hill. Sunday @jimmy and @DSloan joined us at Laurel. Special thanks to Laurel's management for offering a discounted group rate ticket without having to preregister our members. Although not all met up to ski together, Kaitlyn, Laurel's day manager, told me on Sunday that she had about 20 takers on Saturday. I'll get a final count later.

The two unidentified attendees in the picture below L to R are Warren and bousquet19 (on DCSki) whose family (an uncle, I think) founded Bousquet Mountain in Massachusetts. For any history buffs out there Bousquet Mountain goes back to the earliest days of the modern ski resort era in the USA first with the Mount Greylock Ski Club then hosting ski trains before putting up a rope tow then later, floodlights for night skiing in 1936.

20200208_111610 ACR Conv.jpg

The group for Saturday - I need help with the first couple of names... L-to-R: ?, ?, @JohnL, @LaurelHillCraze, @skibeachbum, Kathy, @theNitza, Marcus, George

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Very nice, much better conditions than I would have expected; night and day difference from here in eastern PA. I may hit Laurel for a day later this month as I'll be in the area on business. Looks like my kind of area

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Very nice, much better conditions than I would have expected; night and day difference from here in eastern PA. I may hit Laurel for a day later this month as I'll be in the area on business. Looks like my kind of area
Just keep in mind that unless they get the natural snow areas open (which doesn't look too likely this season) it's all pretty gentle terrain except for Lower Wildcat. Lots of fun though!

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just keep in mind that unless they get the natural snow areas open (which doesn't look too likely this season) it's all pretty gentle terrain except for Lower Wildcat. Lots of fun though!

Not all of the closed trails were closed-closed. Like we mean it closed. Pays to know The Mayor.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's OK, I like the vibe of the area. :)

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier

I'll be in Jackson Hole the last week of this month at the big Gathering then off to New England later in March for the Gathering there but drop me a PM if you would like to meet and ski together. Also, I've owned Vdubs since 1978 but they have all been the FWD water cooled variety.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I will do that, thanks. If the current schedule holds, it will probably be that last week of February, although this has been delayed multiple times since December, so who knows??

I was heavy into the air cooled variety since 1970, and had multiple water cooled ones. My wife currently has an Alltrack. Thinking of getting a baja bug project, always wanted one. Especially since I still have a hot rod motor sitting around that I built about 40 years ago

Sponsor

Staff online