• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
Howdy, short time lurker as I just found this site which is awesome!

I’m somewhere between an advanced-intermediate to an advanced skier on groomers, light chop and fresh snow. I hard charge down blues but am much more conservative going down blacks. I’ve started to ski gullies and off-piste more now and still working on my technique on bumps, more chopped up and skied out blacks and deeper powder. Ski mostly at Kirkwood, as well as N* and Heavenly.

I’m 5’10” and 180 lbs, 46 yo and in decent shape. Currently skiing 2018 Rossi E88s in 173cm (last generation), which have been excellent on Sierra cement, ice cord and groomers where they really hold an edge. I’m finding the tails to be a bit hooky in the softer stuff and the skied out powder.

I’m thinking I need something a little wider (no more than 94s) and playful (and a little longer?) for softer snow. Thinking that the new Rossi Escapers (178) might be a good direction (waiting for some reviews since they are brand new), or maybe just try the newer E88s in either 173 or 180. Other possible skis I was considering were the Rustler 9s (172 or 180?) and the Enforcer 94s in 172 since they may not be as forgiving as the others.

Thanks in advance!

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty similar to you (older, shorter, and a bit lighter), and I've been looking for much the same kind of ski. I ended up with Blizzard Brahmas for my own reasons. But Enforcer 93/94 sounds like the kind of ski you are looking for. Reputation is that they ski short, so I think you might go 179. I tried the Rustler 9 (unfortunately mostly on groomers) and found it not substantial enough for me. Odd and catchy in the tails -- though the rep gave them told me he'd tuned them for the hardpack day in question. Gave a lot of thought to Enforcer 88's, but was never able to try them. When I got on the Brahmas, I was pretty happy and decided to stop agonizing.
Don't know anything about the new Rossi.

TS
B

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
hen I got on the Brahmas, I was pretty happy and decided to stop agonizing.

Thanks, I didn't include the Brahmas on my short list since they are pretty similar to what I already have, but I am curious to see the reviews on the redesigned 2021s when they come out.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks, I didn't include the Brahmas on my short list since they are pretty similar to what I already have, but I am curious to see the reviews on the redesigned 2021s when they come out.
Actually, the Brahma is very different than your E88, just read this, "What is the "Best" ski?" and I actually compare your ski with the (last generation) Brahma. The upcomign Brahma is aslo very different than your ski too.

I’m thinking I need something a little wider (no more than 94s) and playful (and a little longer?) for softer snow. Thinking that the new Rossi Escapers (178) might be a good direction (waiting for some reviews since they are brand new), or maybe just try the newer E88s in either 173 or 180. Other possible skis I was considering were the Rustler 9s (172 or 180?) and the Enforcer 94s in 172 since they may not be as forgiving as the others.
I do think any of the skis you have in this list would be great options. Hell, all are so good and will all do almost everything you ask of them, you could almost choose by which graphic you like best. It is that close.

TS
B

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
Actually, the Brahma is very different than your E88, just read this, "What is the "Best" ski?" and I actually compare your ski with the (last generation) Brahma. The upcomign Brahma is aslo very different than your ski too.

I do think any of the skis you have in this list would be great options. Hell, all are so good and will all do almost everything you ask of them, you could almost choose by which graphic you like best. It is that close.

Thanks! Not making it any easier now that I have to add another to the list... Anything you can share regarding the Escaper as it has really peaked my interest and the 178 length seems to be about right.

Last edited by a moderator:

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Maybe consider the Salomon Stance 90 or 96? I’m eyeing up the 90. Too bad the graphics are....plain.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
DPS Cassiar Foundation 87 or 94 are both very solid choices for a 85-95 one ski quiver. They offer plenty of edge grip and carving chops on the groomers and have enough rise at tip and tail to take you off piste as long as the snow isn't stupid deep.

TS
B

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
Necropost Update. I ended up getting a pair of the next gen 173cm E88ti (last year's grey graphics, which IMHO look better than this year's update) for super cheap last month and Northstar finally got the snow to ski them. What a difference the new tail design makes a difference through the bumps, push piles and chop. Never once felt them catch, and very quick to pivot/turn. Definitely lighter and more nimble than that the last gen, especially in the tips, which made difference at the end of the day. A little less edge hold and more chattering in the tips than the past gen at speed. I think these are going to be great daily drivers for the conditions I get versus the conditions I want to ski.

I did find them a lacking in the all powder we got last week, so I am still thinking of adding something like the Rustler 9 or the Liberty Origin 96 (assuming its a little more forgiving than other skis like the Bonafides, Mantras, and similar skis at the ~96mm width) for softer/deeper days. Either way, I'm religating the old E88s for early/late season ice/rock skis.

Reactions: BMC

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm about your size (10-15 Covid lbs heavier now) and think you are way short on your length in powder. If you get into deep blower powder, I think you're going to have tip dive and bury those 88/173 skis. My personal opinion is in a pow ski you need the rocker and surface area to float and pivot. You really might want to think about a 180cm+ length and 100+ wide dedicated powder ski.

TS
B

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm about your size (10-15 Covid lbs heavier now) and think you are way short on your length in powder. If you get into deep blower powder, I think you're going to have tip dive and bury those 88/173 skis. My personal opinion is in a pow ski you need the rocker and surface area to float and pivot. You really might want to think about a 180cm+ length and 100+ wide dedicated powder ski.

Definitely looking at ~180cm length, but not looking for a dedicated powder ski right now. Rare that I catch a true powder day due to work and family commitments. Just something more soft snow oriented for off piste than can handle groomers if needed. The new E88s are my new dad and between fresh snow skis.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
~95 is pretty close to 88, and now you have two sets of 88s! May as well go 100+ just in case you're lucky enough to ski one of those awesome storms that Kirkwood typically serves up a few times a season. Most 100-110 skis aren't really dedicated powder skis, they're just wide all mountain skis and can handle groomers very well on soft snow days.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
Definitely looking at ~180cm length, but not looking for a dedicated powder ski right now. Rare that I catch a true powder day due to work and family commitments. Just something more soft snow oriented for off piste than can handle groomers if needed. The new E88s are my new dad and between fresh snow skis.

I'd add that the collective here steered me towards a Dynastar M Pro as a jack of all trades daily driver for the front and back side. I did a research and after seeing all the very positive reviews went with the 99 for all mountain capabilities. Which sounds right for your purpose as well to compliment your current 88 underfoot. Am 5'9" 165 lbs and prefer longer skis (186 here) but they come in a 178 too.

Else there are really good reviews on Skiessentials on a variety of skis with 90-100 mm underfoot.

TS
B

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'd add that the collective here steered me towards a Dynastar M Pro as a jack of all trades daily driver for the front and back side. I did a research and after seeing all the very positive reviews went with the 99 for all mountain capabilities. Which sounds right for your purpose as well to compliment your current 88 underfoot. Am 5'9" 165 lbs and prefer longer skis (186 here) but they come in a 178 too.

Else there are really good reviews on Skiessentials on a variety of skis with 90-100 mm underfoot.
Just saw the salomon qst 98s were announced, will be looking at them for sure as they seem to fit the bill on paper, along with the Liberty Origin 96 and 101.

TS
B

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ski Essentials just dropped this review on the QST98, looking forward to @Philpug's review on the Liberty Origin 101:

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
Ski Essentials just dropped this review on the QST98, looking forward to @Philpug's review on the Liberty Origin 101:

The shape is indeed an interesting concept for an all mountain ski. Dunno about the flex but basically it looks like an Atomic Bent Chetler 120 (which btw carves surprisingly well and stable for a ski that wide and with such a short running edge) narrowed down by 2 cm.

Sponsor

Staff online