• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long-Term Review: Head Raptor 140 RS

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I have done more than try one on. I’ve worked with two guys who have been factory team boot techs for Head, as mentioned. And a third who “knows my feet”, and knows the boot. I don’t honestly believe that anybody in the business would have more expertise.

@Philpug , we didn’t just flatten the zeppa, which I agree for me is always standard practice, it was put on a belt to make it almost paper thin. We were talking of every option. Opening the shell, thinning the liner and base of the tongue options.....all of the usual stuff.

I think this boot can work for 99% of the population. I am the other 1%, I guess.

The fact is that some boots work better with different foot and ankle shapes better. Or, put differently, some anatomies make it so difficult that as @markojp suggests, it’s not worth it. I agree with @BGreen that you can do an awful lot with heat, and every other weapon in the bootfitting tool box. But even if you get to the point where it might “fit”, the question of how it then performs, holds up, etc. comes into play.
The decision here is that the degree of trying to make it fit was not worth it. Not like I’m a WC athlete under contract who pretty much “has to be in the white boot.”

The guys who I have had look at making this work are both not just “good”, but are friends of ours. Both were clear that “This isn’t going to work, well.” Keep in mind that an RS140 isn’t a Head plug, with a TON of shell thickness to work with, grind, manipulate. {Not that any of that would help with the instep}. I made the comment about custom clogs. Head custom molds and builds clogs for at least a half dozen of their men. And a couple of women. One of the comments was that “your foot and ankle look like XX’s...and no way can any of the stock shapes fit him”. So the comments were that even in the RS, my hoof would be an issue. I trust these two opinions. So I decided not to try. I also had to buy the boots, which is always a factor.

I have a friend with a fused ankle, the result of a bad bike crash 20 years ago who is in this boot, the shell looks pretty deformed, after all of the work to accomdate him. Most in that ankle cup area, and the cuff. But as one of the boot guys explained, that’s a different issue. I was saying that XX’s foot is SO screwed up, how can these not be made to work well for me?

And the feedback. “Make them work” covers a lot of ground. You have better options.

There are so many other good boots out there...plenty. And other great liner options. I tend to have pretty long term relationships with my boots. At least the shells. Liners, plates, sole lugs, buckles and Boosters all get replaced along the way, in some cases a few times. Last shells had well over 500 days. I don’t keep exact count, unlike some here like to.

I’m all good. But, this is a great boot design and build quality. And for many, many of my friends who have exited a plug {it happens when you are my age, and no longer racing...for some of us}, it has proven to be just a great boot. Seems like universal love.

Please, not need to try to convince me that it’s a solution for me, or can be made to be one. I don’t need to waste anybody’s time on that. It isn’t. Langes, BD’s and Zips work for what my wife refers to as my Shrek feet. They take “plenty” of work as well. Five hours on the last pair of shells...knowing exactly what needed to be done.

About 14 years ago, I was in need of a new boot. I had broken the shell on a Doberman, which is hard to do. Those boots had taken a lot of work to get right. So..one of my friends suggests that I really ought to consider having Stroltz boot built for me. “At my age...ha!” O was all of 50. Not in the states, in Austria. I did. They were pieces of art. The liner was a thing of beauty. And I skied in them for parts of four days before they were set aside to collect dust. They built them to accomdate my foot, and to also make entry reasonably easy, etc. they were about the length of my normal BSL, but they looked ginormous. Like big enough for me to focus on them and for others to stare! My kids and wife were in tears laughling. Funny. But yeah, they were built to fit my foot!

By the way, knock on wood, I have never had a Lower leg or foot injury in 60 years of competitive sports. You look at my ankle and foot and it was built for the duration.

A week after nixing the Stroltz, a few pounds of plastic ground out, a lot of heat, moving a couple of buckles, blah-blah, back into a plug, Lange ZB clog, ZC cuff. Which lasted a long time.

For anybody looking at this kind of boot.....give the Head a hard look! It’s been very popular since it was first introduced, for good reason. Plus, they do look cool. Always a plus.

Enjoy the boots! And the season.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
For when you really like the white Head boots but they just won't work.:P
gloss-white-rust-oleum-automotive-automotive-spray-paint-248650-64_1000.jpg

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Any idea how the Raptor compares with the Kore 1 boot?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
At the risk of beating the dead horse....

Had another fit yesterday that worked great in a different boot for an instructor who is a strong skier. No way their foot and lower leg would have gone into a Raptor boot. Their heel wouldn't gotten into the back of the boot without moving/grinding a bunch of material. Just no way. Ended up in a Technica Mach 120 HV. Made a footbed, opened the calf to help their fore aft stance and started the first steps of alignment... it's going to work well. Cantology compatible which will make alignment a relative breeze.

Sold a women's Raptor 90 and 110 as well. These fit both like a glove with a couple of easy moves. Different feet, different solutions, all will work just fine.

FWIW, for white boot haters, Head made some black Raptor 140's a couple seasons back. I'll bet they still have some at the warehouse.

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
A hell of lot better than green.
if they made them raging neon pink, I'd still ski them... doing a B3 this season though.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
Newbie to the Raptors today. Sadly I’ll need to wait until next weekend to give them a go for real.
The Vibram soles look like a good mod. I didn’t have them on the Langes and used CatTrax, etc religiously for 5 seasons. Never liked carrying them around all day or hiding them somewhere and having them walk away on there own. Are the Vibram soles easy to get?

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oh, found the post from last year about the lifters... not the easiest things to get ....

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Newbie to the Raptors today. Sadly I’ll need to wait until next weekend to give them a go for real.
The Vibram soles look like a good mod. I didn’t have them on the Langes and used CatTrax, etc religiously for 5 seasons. Never liked carrying them around all day or hiding them somewhere and having them walk away on there own. Are the Vibram soles easy to get?

Oh, found the post from last year about the lifters... not the easiest things to get ....

The Gripwalk soles are a process. You cannot just install them then rout the lugs. It is a two stage process, if using the Tecnica/Nordica Gripwalk soles, you have to rout the lugs with the regular Tecnica/Nordica soles, they remove them then install the Gripwalk versions. IMHO it is worth it. If you want this mod done to your boots, let me know, I will be happy to do the work.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
DAY 1: Loved them. Fit great, skied great, astounding heel retention, not too stiff, nice smooth flex, cool but not cold, somewhat challenging to remove at day's end in the parking lot.

No hot spots (but I have pretty easy feet).

Tremendously efficient at transmitting my lateral force to the ski's edge. JUST WOW!

End transmission.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
DAY 1: Loved them. Fit great, skied great, astounding heel retention, not too stiff, nice smooth flex, cool but not cold, somewhat challenging to remove at day's end in the parking lot.

No hot spots (but I have pretty easy feet).

Tremendously efficient at transmitting my lateral force to the ski's edge. JUST WOW!

End transmission.
The boot is a damn good boot.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier

Day1 impressions:

Run 1 - These are leaning more forward than my old boots.
Run 2 - Hay, are those edges on my skis? where they come from? and i can really feel them.
Run 3 - I better pay attention, these skis are turning with motivation, no daydreamin anymore

Really good fit. just a few adjustment will be needed after the liner breaks in more.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Day1 impressions:

Run 2 - Hay, are those edges on my skis? where they come from? and i can really feel them.
Run 3 - I better pay attention, these skis are turning with motivation, no daydreamin anymore

Really good fit. just a few adjustment will be needed after the liner breaks in more.
I have had to gas pedal a couple of these for people including @Andy Mink.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Day1 impressions:

1. I think I might like these, I’m from the days where forward lean was a good thing, to the point if you can’t ski forward lean you weren’t a skier opinionogwink

2. Better or they aren’t worth it.

3. Isn’t that why we ski? :D

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have had to gas pedal a couple of these for people including @Andy Mink.
3mm under the toe helps. I'm not so far out over the front with my knee so I'm not using my quads to hold myself up. Much more comfortable.

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
What's the best way to clean these puppies? 4 days on them so far and there are some smudges that aren't coming off with a wet thumb

Sponsor