• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eastern Canada Is Mont Tremblant worth visiting?

Jeff DLB

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
My son started university in Montreal this year. I am thinking of meeting him in February for some skiing at Mont Tremblant because it is nearby, but I don't really know anything about other areas that might be nearby. Is MT decent? Elevation seems low.

Thanks,
Jeff

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yes.

Bring your sharp & skinny skis, your warmies and your appetite. .

Sutton, Bromont, Orford and Jay Peak are also within easy driving distance of Montreal and you will have a completely different experience than at Tremblant.

Where will you be coming from ?

Last edited:

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
Sounds like you are coming from the west. It's decent, biggest you'll get around here, avoid weekend if you can, it'll be a zoo in Feb and everything scraped down to bare ice by 10 AM. Bromont is meh, nothing interesting and even more people on weekends, Sutton leaves a lot of runs ungroomed and has lots of glade, never been to Orford.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Yes. It is the biggest mountain around Montreal. Although the runs are not as steep as some you will find out west, they are still steep and long enough to get some use out of your speed skis in the AM, or all day if it's really cold. :daffy:

Skiing Johannsen on a sunny Saturday afternoon will have you in a crowd with about a skier about two meters away in every direction. :eek:

Another hill I used to enjoy when I was in that area is Owl's Head.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Congratulations to your son on being in Montreal. It's a wonderful city with some great schools.

Elevation may seem low...but up there in winter can be a freezer. So the problem isn't keeping snow necessarily..it's preventing it and you from turning into an ice cube.. :)

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes. Biggest hill in the area by a long shot. Decent pitch. Doesn't get tons of natural snow, but they make a bunch early in the season and it usually stays cold up there. I have been 3 times, all in March and it was still pretty mid winterish cold. Also it is the closest big mountain skiing to Ontario and gets super crowded during their school breaks.

Last edited:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
McGill or Montreal U? My step-grandson graduated from McGill.

Tremblant - damn near the coldest place on earth!! But the skiing is great. There are 4 faces to the mountain. And it can be very crowded on weekends. February sees the American Presidents week, the college and university "reading weeks" and possibly the first of 2 public school weeks. Those can be more in March too. Tremblant is the biggest in the Canadian East. Mt Ste Anne is just behind.

Advice - if your son didn't get to the MEC event for cheap tickets for students, then hit Costco on your way up. There's one in St. Jerome, just at the 641, 15 interchange. Dress for really cold weather.

skidivasfeb2017.jpg

SkiBam, the Ski Diva and myself....early February last year. Taken on "the Edge". The way to avoid the crowd is to ski with a local. We know where and when to be to avoid them. Suggestion - lunch at the Windigo cafe in the bottom of the Fairmont. Much more civilized than the mountain top cafeteria.

If you're staying overnight, check the Air BnB places. Much cheaper than the resort or maybe you have Marriott, Westin or Fairmont points. Also in the village of St. Jovite there is a Comfort Inn.

On your way up the autoroute you will see - St. Saveur, Avila, Olympia, Gabriel and Mont Blanc. All much smaller is vertical, but fun places for families.

In the townships - Mt Sutton, Owl's Head and Jay are my favs.

Heading up today for the CSIA convention.....like the PSIA event next weekend.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have not been there in years, but I spent every spring break there as a teen. After skiing all over the world, it is still one of my favorites. It ranks as one of the very best in the east, though eastern skiing may be an acquired taste.......

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We go to the eastern townships in Quebec every year (Sutton, Orford and Owls Head). I love each for different reasons. With the exceptions of one day at Owls Head; ice skates for skis were the tool for the job. I've love to visit Tremblant one day.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Speaking of autoroutes, they do have speed cameras in Quebec.

They have some in cars. And the officieds speak prefect English..I know this from experience. Cars are white with green and yellow stripes, but the flashing lights are red and blue.

And right hand turns on red lights on the Island of Montreal.

TS
Jeff DLB

Jeff DLB

Skier
Thanks for the information! I guess we'll give it a try. I used to live in Colorado, and if I were still there I'd fly him out to meet me, but I'm currently in Washington DC area so for this trip it seems simpler and cheaper to drive up to meet him in Montreal and try a new mountain, even if frigid and icy judging from your replies.

TS
Jeff DLB

Jeff DLB

Skier
If you go to Tremblant, get in touch. I'm always happy to show people around.

That would be very nice, actually -- glad to have a local guide. I'll let you know if the trip is confirmed.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Tremblant has some great ski history involving Lowell Thomas and "Jackrabbit” Johannsen. At the very least do a web search, both were fantastic characters.

I haven't skied there in modern times but you should note that lifeline etiquette is very French. Elbows high, watch out for the Grandmothers, they can be surly.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
That would be very nice, actually -- glad to have a local guide. I'll let you know if the trip is confirmed.
Please do!!
Tremblant has some great ski history involving Lowell Thomas and "Jackrabbit” Johannsen. At the very least do a web search, both were fantastic characters.

I haven't skied there in modern times but you should note that lifeline etiquette is very French. Elbows high, watch out for the Grandmothers, they can be surly.

It's not like that now...TG!!

Sponsor

Staff online