• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Inspired by my daughter

scrubadub

Booting up
Skier
Hi all,

I grew up skiing occasionally as a child then picked it up again when my children started skiing regularly. Two years ago, I tore my ACL and MCL which was pretty miserable. But my PT was awesome and supportive but has also patiently nudged me into regular strength training. I missed most of last year's incredible snow fall but my daughter took up racing this year. I love how passionate and excited she is to compete and she's inspired me to improve my technique (in part so I can keep up with her). It's been wonderful for us bonding in the car, at races, and at training. I've learned a lot too by volunteering at races (though I still imagine the coaches shaking their heads when I try to slip the course).

Anyway, thanks to this forum for all the shared knowledge. I've gone off the deep end updating my equipment. While my used Soul 7s were a great entry point, they let me get away with a lot of really bad technique. Before this year, I never would have thought about a quiver but thanks/no thanks to this place, here I am. I just figured out that there are FIS SL skis that can take Gripwalk boots...

My big goal is to run gates next year and see how close I can get to my daughter. I doubt I can beat her but for now my weight lets me outrun her in powder.

Attachments

• IMG_2306.jpeg
    IMG_2306.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 9

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Hi all,

I grew up skiing occasionally as a child then picked it up again when my children started skiing regularly. Two years ago, I tore my ACL and MCL which was pretty miserable. But my PT was awesome and supportive but has also patiently nudged me into regular strength training. I missed most of last year's incredible snow fall but my daughter took up racing this year. I love how passionate and excited she is to compete and she's inspired me to improve my technique (in part so I can keep up with her). It's been wonderful for us bonding in the car, at races, and at training. I've learned a lot too by volunteering at races (though I still imagine the coaches shaking their heads when I try to slip the course).

Anyway, thanks to this forum for all the shared knowledge. I've gone off the deep end updating my equipment. While my used Soul 7s were a great entry point, they let me get away with a lot of really bad technique. Before this year, I never would have thought about a quiver but thanks/no thanks to this place, here I am. I just figured out that there are FIS SL skis that can take Gripwalk boots...

My big goal is to run gates next year and see how close I can get to my daughter. I doubt I can beat her but for now my weight lets me outrun her in powder.

Lovely story! Welcome home, enjoy keeping up with her for as long as you can :roflmao: .

But I agree, the bonding is where it's at. What's you current quiver? Mine is Faction CT 1.0 (daily driver), Head Originals (for the rare groomer day) and Faction Agent 3 (for the rare deep day, though I really want to start touring/BC). I ski Tahoe ...

TS
S

scrubadub

Booting up
Skier
We're at IMD champs this weekend. It's a great scene.

I ran some gates at Alta last week on my Mirus Cors which was... interesting. I've mentally committed to joining the Park City Masters next years to improve my technique. I can't keep up with her on groomers or icy moguls, but my added weight still lets me outrun her in powder.

My current quiver: SR102, Mirus Cor, M-Pro 85, and (getting bindings mounted) Dynastar SL FIS Noel Clement edition. I think the last one is sort of like riding a bike and jersey with the world championship colors, but at least the snow will cover those up.

Debating whether to remount my Soul 7 HDs for touring (likely fitness laps when the snow isn't great at Alta) or just sell them. I've been almost entirely at Alta but will branch out to PCMR next year for masters during the week.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January