• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I can also vouch for Andrew at 2nd Tracks. Also, Jeff (tall guy) at Alpine Sports has a good reputation.

Good on you for being up front with the shop on your intentions.
The OVST swap is also this weekend in Farmington.

There is a lot more to a good fit than heat molding.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If you're in Utah close to ski mountains there really isn't a good excuse NOT to go to the shop for a little fitting work unless you're already an expert boot fitter yourself. Fifty bucks isn't even a half day ski ticket and you're trying to ski 80 days in these boots. You should feel fortunate to have such great options in this regard.

Main reason some of us go DIY is simply geographic. Living 3 hours from ski country with no good shop on this side of the metroplex I'd have to be pretty unhappy with my gear to cut an hour of ski time off the 3 hour drive, 4-5 hour ski, 3 hour drive home routine to spend with a boot fitter. There aren't any other options for me really. If I was new to the sport and hadn't mostly managed my own gear for the past 40 years I'm sure I'd be more flexible in seeking professional help with boots and binding mounts.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Keep us posted on how it went today. Tis the season to hunt down bargains!

TS
Kbat117

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
Thanks for the help! And I'm sorry you feel that way 4ster, I just simply can't afford it... I'm 17.

Anyways, I purchased a pair of Fischer ranger 12 thermofit boots from 2md tracks after spending about 90 minutes trying stuff on. They feel great once I got my footbeds in them!

Now I'm headed to Lvl 9 sports for a free molding and we will see how that improves the fit!

Thanks again everyone! Super helpful! :)

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Thanks for the help! And I'm sorry you feel that way 4ster, I just simply can't afford it... I'm 17.

Anyways, I purchased a pair of Fischer ranger 12 thermofit boots from 2md tracks after spending about 90 minutes trying stuff on. They feel great once I got my footbeds in them!

Now I'm headed to Lvl 9 sports for a free molding and we will see how that improves the fit!

Thanks again everyone! Super helpful! :)

LOL, I don't feel any way? I learned to ski in leather hand me downs, we would soak them & then let them dry to fit! Is that wet or dry molding? ;) .
Sounds like you made a good choice & from what little I know about the Fischer Vacuum process it will get you a lot more than just heat molding some liners.
Congratulations!

TS
Kbat117

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
IMG_20171020_144934.jpg

Vacuum fitting! Super Interesting and suprising quick process today. The fit feels even better now. They will also do it up to 4 more times for no extra charge :). I think I want more room in the toe-box area but I think it would be smarter to ski on it first and then decide if I want to go in again.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
My new boots Rossi allspeed elite 130’s will be arriving this week and i SOOOOO want to heat the liner but I don’t have seven toes .
I want to open up the toes a little so I’m going to try a blow dryer on just the front and see if it works.
I’m in the camp that thinks you lose your heel pocket early if you heat the liner, although this boot and maybe the Mach 1 use a material in the heel pocket that doesn’t soften to help with losing the pocket early.
It is very tempting though if you can wrap that liner around your foot.

Sponsor

Staff online