• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait a minute, aren't the stars further away than the moon?!
One of several reasons that quote is so dumb. I guess that guy was actually shooting at a star, though; he definitely missed.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
  1. I have the responsibility to avoid hitting people who are downhill/ahead of me, giving appropriate berth to them and remembering that they can do something erratic at any time.
  2. I have the responsibility to myself to remember that many people don't pay close attention to #1, and make sure to maintain situational awareness. That includes looking over my shoulder prior to and during any erratic move on my part.

It's not either/or, it's both/and.

If the semi driver does something stupid and kills me, it doesn't matter that he was supposed to not do it.

What you quoted (?) isn't the responsibility code. Wish list?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The stars are farther than the moon. I always thought the quote was "Shoot for the stars and you'll hit the moon if you miss." (paraphrasing)
I thought the switch was intended as sarcasm though.:huh:
I don't really know, but I think it was supposed to be one of those motivational things that instead is cloying and makes me want to punch someone.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, he did get to sit near a star for a week, so may be the dumb quote actually worked this time.

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
Just catching up on this rambling thread... It has always struck me that there are many analogies between skiing and driving. Among them:
  • There are rules/laws of the road, but it is in your best interest to drive defensively.
  • Most (80-90%?) of drivers believe their driving is better than average.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
The stars are farther than the moon. I always thought the quote was "Shoot for the stars and you'll hit the moon if you miss." (paraphrasing)
I thought the switch was intended as sarcasm though.:huh:

There's a film about Wernher von Braun called "I aim at the Stars". To which some wit added "...but sometimes I hit London".

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I gotta say, I can think of many candle names that would make me curious about the scent, but that ain't one of them.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So impressed that this thread has made it to 15 pages!!!
And a good part of this thread was well thought out, some silliness and some crap...
Its pretty easy to sort out which is which

I was looking at the title of this thread and thought about changing it.
I mean, it says Gwyneth Paltrow Deer Valley Hit 'n' Run.

Didn't the trial show that it was not actually a hit n run?

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Suggested trail name change at Deer Valley.

Attachments

• tempImagehdcmC5.png
    tempImagehdcmC5.png
    319.4 KB · Views: 17

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Suggested trail name change at Deer Valley.
Funny, I use Supergoop sun screen and lip balm which is not related to Paltrow's Goop.
When we were at a Hall of Fame event I asked Suzie Chaffee, "Can you imagine if you were a lip balm rep today, you could be Suzie Supergoop." :)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I gotta say, I can think of many candle names that would make me curious about the scent, but that ain't one of them.
I have no idea what you're referencing here. What candle scent?

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online