• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Freehand sharpening with Razor Tune without bench

TS
M

MikeHunt

Getting on the lift
Skier
Don't listen to 'em....I always have a fresh edge too with my Razor Tune! So many skier's can't even use their edges! :ogbiggrin: And it is difficult to use any tool on a skinny ski with bindings on it that is not secure in a vise. Hardly the same as using a grinder in some construction setting. It is difficult to stabile the ski and contrary to the experts here :rolleyes:, you could really F-up your edge with a slip.

True that. It's closer to a Dremel than a grinder in the spectrum of tools.

It's probably in between in terms of body control. Beween a hobbyist tool that uses more finger/wrist control and a construction tool that uses more wrist/arm control. For the way I want to use it anyway.

Last edited:

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
I freehand with my RazorTune all the time. I did it last night. It helps to have someone holding the ski, but it isn't absolutely required. The ski does need to be resting on the top sheet, so a chair, balcony rail or something like that is needed. Balancing on the bindings would be very hard. I put two hands on the tool with the thumb of one hand running along the opposite edge to stabilize the tool and ski. You can put a piece of cloth between your thumb and the ski so you don't cut your thumb on the edge. It is super easy and plenty quick. I don't think it is any less precise than putting the ski in a vice. These things are not bouncing all over the place. They sit flat and run smoothly.

robby

Booting up
Skier
Troy says the medium wheel takes on 0.001 inched per pass, so that's about 60 passes.

dm
I think there's a typo, either here or in that convo you had with him. The Medium stone takes off 1/10,000th of an inch, not 1/1,000th (source). So it's more like 600 passes (assuming you can remove ~1.5mm of edge, total). That seems on par with the Swix Evo Pro you discuss later.

I was just on the RT web site medium grit is good for 1/10 of a thousand accuracy cut. I Call B..L S..T on that statement

I have done those type of tolerances in machining, and none of it was with a free hand power grinder. Requires very controlled conditions.

He's not claiming 1/10,000th inch accuracy; he's claiming 1/10,000th inch material removal per pass. Obviously it's more if you go slow and less if you go fast and it will never be exact. But I read that as stating approximately how much material is removed, not how precise the removal is.

I think if you go for the RT, at least stabilize the ski on chairs with towels, etc. Somehow. What a guy does with a tool he’s used for hundreds of hours is different than someone with no experience of that tool.

My ideal on-the-go solution is to wedge the tip or tail of the ski against two vertical planes that make a right angle (e.g. the inside corner of an outdoor stone wall). That's enough to stabilize the ski easily. If I don't have that, I'll push it against an outside wall straight on, with enough force to hold it in place while I run the RT along it. With practice it's pretty easy; but yes, if you screw up and relieve pressure you may muck up the edge angle at that one spot. On the rare occasion I do that, I live with it. It will fix itself in a tuning or two and as a hobbyist I won't notice the difference unless it's big and immediately underfoot.

Now, whether the RT is worth bringing on an airplane for a week, is a different question. To me, it comes down to conditions and group size. If I'm sharpening skis for a half dozen+ people, I'm bringing the RT. If I suspect I'll be skiing ice + trees for a week and repairing daily edge damage, I'm bringing the RT. Short of that, I'll skip it and bring my FK edger, 100mm file, and black diamondstone.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How about just KISS and use 3D printed compact, travel tuners (left) that you can use with skis on your lap or straddled between two chairs for basic edge maintenance? My dad taught me to flat file against a wall or work bench. A couple weeks ago sitting in my sister's office, I planed side walls and tuned edges with the ski bottom wedged in my lap. Light base beveled on two chairs.

View attachment 229465

A travel stand with vise seems like a good option to consider.
Maybe inventing a compact, minimalist travel vice should be your next project.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe inventing a compact, minimalist travel vice should be your next project.

The end vises with the height adjustment for the Wintersteiger world cup ski vise below weighted 1 lb 2.3 oz
each. A pair would be about 2 lb 5 oz.

1711337120017.png

The fixed end vises with all the cut outs for the two set up below probably knock 5 to 6 oz each off the end vises above. That is quite a bit under 2 lbs for a pair of vises. On top of it, they are tested designs and inexpensive.

1711337204035.png

1711337297487.png

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
just did a pair of QST99 lumen on mr grippy! 5 passes medium on each edge, + sidewall remover

Sponsor