• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

For all those who liked the idea of the Apex boots, but wanted to BYOB...

MattFromCanada

Professional Something-or-another
Skier
IMG_5516.jpg

ENVY SNOW SPORTS photo

... bring your own boot that is!

The new revolutionary Envy Ski Frame allows skiers to go alpine skiing in top manufacturer snowboard boots. Skiers can now enjoy soft, warm, and comfortable boots on the slopes, around the lodge, and walking to and from the mountain. The lightweight Envy Ski Frame is compatible with all standard alpine ski bindings and provides the support and performance needed for ski control.

http://www.envysnowsports.com/

Thoughts anyone? Looks like it confers none of the advantages of the Apex, with all of the disadvantages...

IMG_5569.jpg

ENVY SNOW SPORTS photo

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Looks like, even if it were to give good support and flex qualities, it would be pretty strange to have your foot that much farther off of the snow. It would change the dynamics of edging quite a bit. The person they had skiing in the video either wasn't all that good of a skier, or he was struggling with his equipment. And, by the way, how old are these things? The demo was on a pair of Pocket Rockets, which are not exactly current technology.

Also, the testimonials were really lame. One was even from someone who has not tried them.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
It's a snowboard binding on a DIN sole plate
Won't have the lateral stiffness or forward flex stiffness to ski at any sort of performance level. Can see it might have a point for messing around with the kids and for adaptive skiers as they indicate.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I knew we'd see this eventually and knew it several years ago. My question is how much do the physics change for the binding DIN with that much lift? I also have a similar question as to if anyone has really looked in to how much the different tipping physics transmitted from wider skis on edge. I get that a binding test is done on a flat ski pushing from the side, but is there a different dynamic in play when it is on edge?? And the lateral tipping forces on ankles and knees certainly change some between tipping a 65mm ski and tipping a 130mm ski up to their edge. A higher up lift decreases these tipping forces by increasing leverage.. A wider ski under the boot lug decreases the leverage. How much have binding engineers done to measure the different influences the ski width and stack height dynamics actually play? I get it will be exactly the same when the ski is flat on the bench.. but how often is it that when you need your ski to release it is perfectly flat and not on edge?

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
If the inside of a hard/firm liner is shaped exactly like your foot it will seem soft & comfy and still be super responsive. Just like my Daleboot's with Intuition liners. No need for a soft unresponsive boot!

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I knew we'd see this eventually and knew it several years ago. My question is how much do the physics change for the binding DIN with that much lift? I also have a similar question as to if anyone has really looked in to how much the different tipping physics transmitted from wider skis on edge. I get that a binding test is done on a flat ski pushing from the side, but is there a different dynamic in play when it is on edge?? And the lateral tipping forces on ankles and knees certainly change some between tipping a 65mm ski and tipping a 130mm ski up to their edge. A higher up lift decreases these tipping forces by increasing leverage.. A wider ski under the boot lug decreases the leverage. How much have binding engineers done to measure the different influences the ski width and stack height dynamics actually play? I get it will be exactly the same when the ski is flat on the bench.. but how often is it that when you need your ski to release it is perfectly flat and not on edge?
More likely your ski is in the air and hitting the snow hard when it will release.

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
Your're all thinking about this wrong.... you can now use alpine bindings on snowboards..!! think of the lift line advantages.. and no sitting on the snow trying to strap in.. Just click in and go..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Your're all thinking about this wrong.... you can now use alpine bindings on snowboards..!! think of the lift line advantages.. and no sitting on the snow trying to strap in.. Just click in and go..

They had step in bindings and harder snowboard boots for carving boards all through the late 90s and early 00s, still some available.. Just not very popular at all... kind of like carving skis versus fat skis...

Sponsor

Staff online