• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

East Coast Off Piste ‘Powder’ Ski

hrandersonn

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi all, I’m a college age 5’9 145lb Expert New England skier. Currently have a pair of 173 Volkl Code S as more of a carving ski and 172 Sender 94 TIs as a daily driver, both of which I’m happy to talk about. But, after today’s storm, I think I’ve decided I want something to fill this fresh snow, off piste powder day niche better than my senders can, with the capability to go out west maybe once a year. Likely 100-110 width but open to suggestions. Looking for something that is just light, fun, playful, but can still hold a decent carve as it’s New England. Really just need a ski that is great on days where I’m in the woods/ungroomed and launching off side hits all day. Rustler 11s, Bents, Kore 105s all pop into my head but I’ve never really looked at these skis. Thank you all for your help!

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
I had a blast demo-ing the Bent 100 in Northeast "better snow" off piste glades/bumps. I am sure heavyweights might not love them, but I've got 20 lbs. on you and just loved them in the right conditions. They have camber and can carve when needed, just not on ice.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you've got a 94 that you like, you can go two ways:

Get a 100, so you get more use out of it.

Get a 10X, so you have a better step between ski sizes. I love my Mindbender 108tis, but I'm an unapologetic directional skier. Have never met a forward-mounted ski that I didn't hate, at least a little.

fundad77

Aspiring Ski Bum
Skier
Ranger 102, plenty of width for two feet of snow, carves better than the bent chetler, more playful than enforcers, rustlers, mantra or the other chargers most recommend. ive skied the sender 94, the Ranger would be a good fit If that’s your style.

TS
hrandersonn

hrandersonn

Skier
If you've got a 94 that you like, you can go two ways:

Get a 100, so you get more use out of it.

Get a 10X, so you have a better step between ski sizes. I love my Mindbender 108tis, but I'm an unapologetic directional skier. Have never met a forward-mounted ski that I didn't hate, at least a little.
I think going for a 100x makes the most sense. Given I have no need to have something that is 'useful' in the mid-90s range. Thanks for your help! Do you find those stiff?

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Either the DW104 or the DW112 will do what u need it to…and can double as ur travel ski as well….very versatile/ and the triple camber provides enough grip here on the EC to still allow you to use in a wide variety of conditions. 104 is also a really nice option for tight EC trees…

For ur size…and what I think u want it for here on the EC.….DW104 could be a nice option/ and a way to support a really good US company.

TS
hrandersonn

hrandersonn

Skier
Ranger 102, plenty of width for two feet of snow, carves better than the bent chetler, more playful than enforcers, rustlers, mantra or the other chargers most recommend. ive skied the sender 94, the Ranger would be a good fit If that’s your style.
I think this may be a great pick. Would you consider these to be definitely wide enough and playful? Also what about the 108? Just wondering if they may just be too similar... also for Bents probably leaning 110, but that may be flawed.

Last edited:
TS
hrandersonn

hrandersonn

Skier
Either the DW104 or the DW112 will do what u need it to…and can double as ur travel ski as well….very versatile/ and the triple camber provides enough grip here on the EC to still allow you to use in a wide variety of conditions. 104 is also a really nice option for tight EC trees…

For ur size…and what I think u want it for here on the EC.….DW104 could be a nice option/ and a way to support a really good US company.
Heard. Will definitely consider just might need to demo to see how playful and how much I can really flex/whip them around...

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Heard. Will definitely consider just might need to demo to see how playful and how much I can really flex/whip them around...
If u want even more playfulness/ but will lose a little grip/versatility……Wildcat 108….

You talk to anyone that skis Moment here on the EC (myself included)…we are always smiling…always positive reviews….

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for your help! Do you find those stiff?

I don't find the Mindbender 108 stiff at all, though I weigh 200 pounds. The shovels, especially are soft enough that they "plane up" in soft snow better than a lot of 115 skis. Blister says this about stiffness:

Tips: 6
Shovels: 6-7.5
In Front of Toe Piece: 8-10
Underfoot: 10
Behind the Heel Piece: 10-9
Tails: 8.5-7.5

fundad77

Aspiring Ski Bum
Skier
Also what about the 108?

I hear the 108 is great, but have you been on skis this wide? For a lighter skier, I would think 102 is plenty. For heavier guys, the 108 for sure or even wider like the QST bank. The reality is that for an east coaster traveling out west for a week or two, the number of runs skiing in powder that require a really wide ski are pretty few unless you are staying at Alta and the canyon road is closed. I've sold my 106 and 110 under foot skis as they aren't as fun as ~100 width skis for skiing all day at most resorts.

Sponsor

Staff online