• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Diy monoski?

mattfredricks

Booting up
Skier
20221230_224900.jpg

I was snowed in for a few days during the recent storm and created this. 3/4" plywood bolted to the snowboard where the normal bindings would attach. An old pair of rossi bindings atached to the plywood. I got about 60 miles of riding in on it this week and it held up pretty well. Its about a 155mm so its a little short, which makes it very playful. Thought someone on here might enjoy seeing it.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 187419
I was snowed in for a few days during the recent storm and created this. 3/4" plywood bolted to the snowboard where the normal bindings would attach. An old pair of rossi bindings atached to the plywood. I got about 60 miles of riding in on it this week and it held up pretty well. Its about a 155mm so its a little short, which makes it very playful. Thought someone on here might enjoy seeing it.
Crazy! Had you monoskied prior to this?

Joshua S

Putting on skis
Skier
In the mid-1970s, I built a mono-ski on top of a single regular ski I put a piece of 2x4 on top of the ski, with a piece of 3/4" plywood on top of the 2x4. Then, I screwed the bindings to the plywood. It worked pretty well, but it was a little clunky getting into the bindings.

It would have been nearly impossible to use a surface lift with this contraption. Only one area would not let me on their chairlift with it. Ironically, it was Stratton, who were the first to allow snowboards!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Also why the techniski never caught on.. It's the asphalt monoski.. How do you determine how to set the binding DIN? Don't you really need BOTH to pop loose whenever you get in to trouble? Yer gunna die!

1672947446777.png

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The same was said about snowboards 30 years ago. Snowboards caught on. Mono-skis have not.
They were doining mono way before snow board. I remember in the 80's the ski lodge I worked at, we had a lot of those old big wheel film projectors, we played those movies for the guests, they loved it. Alot of mono sking like the one below, it was hip and cool back then.

TS
mattfredricks

mattfredricks

Booting up
Skier
Also why the techniski never caught on.. It's the asphalt monoski.. How do you determine how to set the binding DIN? Don't you really need BOTH to pop loose whenever you get in to trouble? Yer gunna die!
Yes, you don't want just one to pop out so I chose to set the bindings as high as they go to minimize the chance of realease and just send it.

TS
mattfredricks

mattfredricks

Booting up
Skier
In the mid-1970s, I built a mono-ski on top of a single regular ski I put a piece of 2x4 on top of the ski, with a piece of 3/4" plywood on top of the 2x4. Then, I screwed the bindings to the plywood. It worked pretty well, but it was a little clunky getting into the bindings.

It would have been nearly impossible to use a surface lift with this contraption. Only one area would not let me on their chairlift with it. Ironically, it was Stratton, who were the first to allow snowboards!
I had a few liftes and a few safety patrollers give me a bit of a hard time, but most of them were fine after I explained what it was and how it was attached to me. Other than that everyone I talked to loved it and got lots of great comments from lift attendants

TS
mattfredricks

mattfredricks

Booting up
Skier
They were doining mono way before snow board. I remember in the 80's the ski lodge I worked at, we had a lot of those old big wheel film projectors, we played those movies for the guests, they loved it. Alot of mono sking like the one below, it was hip and cool back then.

Almost every I talked to thought it was pretty cool still and weren't surprised when I told them it was more popular in the 80s. But I would have loved to be a part of mono culture back then. That's a really cool video from the prime time of monoskiing.

Reactions: Tex
TS
mattfredricks

mattfredricks

Booting up
Skier
20230105_215019.jpg

Update: New coat of stain and a better attached leash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joshua S

Putting on skis
Skier
I had a few liftes and a few safety patrollers give me a bit of a hard time, but most of them were fine after I explained what it was and how it was attached to me. Other than that everyone I talked to loved it and got lots of great comments from lift attendants
In what year did you have this interaction?

Sponsor

Staff online