• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Divot after stone grind.....

Don't Skip Leg Day

Getting off the lift
Skier
Looks like there was a stop on the stone. Think it will affect the ski? Can feel it slightly on the edge as well.

IMG_9724.jpeg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have seen it happen, usually under the binding area. Some machines settings will create this. Is it right? No. Will it affect performance? Not a bit.

TS
Don't Skip Leg Day

Don't Skip Leg Day

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks Phil! Really appreciate the advice, and that is exactly where it happened on the ski.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I wasn't paying attention. You can feel it slightly on the base edge as well. Worth it to reset the base bevel, or just leave it alone?
Leave it. Your double version on Moment's Triple Camber. ;) I would go back to the shop adn show them you might be entitled to compensation, like a free grind for future use.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Looks like someone selected the “pre-grind linear structure” which is sometimes used during the flattening stage but usually is followed by a universal broken linear structure.

Might be a very hard ski to turn and I’d definitely take it back for final passes to correct it. You should never be able to feel the structure that easily, even coarse wet snow structure.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Looks like someone selected the “pre-grind linear structure” which is sometimes used during the flattening stage but usually is followed by a universal broken linear structure.

Might be a very hard ski to turn and I’d definitely take it back for final passes to correct it. You should never be able to feel the structure that easily, even coarse wet snow structure.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Those skis will be difficult to turn on the groomers. The base edge has structure on it. :nono:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Have had the same thing happen to me years ago before I knew more about stone grinds and the skis were a nightmare to ski. Got another tech to just do flattening passes on the stone and then universal broken linear structure passes. Took a few minutes to solve and then I reset the edge bevels again after by hand.

Had it happen again a year or so ago at a local shop when a power surge changed the default setting in a super old Wintersteiger off the normal broken linear universal pattern. Young techs doing grinds for a few weeks that season before I got mine done and noticed the issue. Had the machine serviced and then they had to re-do all the previous grinds again along with mine.

altabrig

Drifting like a long radius with some tail rocker.
Skier
These grind threads are going to make me the worst customer ever for the tech running the machine. Or hopefully, they will get it right.

Tempted to remove my binding on an old burly pair I want to keep going.

Can't that structure on the base edges be hand polished out without increasing the bevel degree? Or are those edges flat and yet to have the base bevel set?
And how will the structure on the edge negatively effect the turns on groomers if the base is the proper .7 or whatever the OP runs?

Some kids rental edges have the disc marks that look like serrations. I wonder if the EVO disc tuner leaves the same.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Can't that structure on the base edges be hand polished out without increasing the bevel degree? Or are those edges flat and yet to have the base bevel set?

Can't tell whether the bas edges have been beveled.
It will require more than "polishing" to remove the structure on the steel base edges. When metal is removed from the base edges, the base bevel angle will increase.

Some kids rental edges have the disc marks that look like serrations. I wonder if the EVO disc tuner leaves the same.

Disc tuner marks on the base edge are a different animal than structure on the base edge. The disc tuner marks does not affect handling of the ski. May affect the glide a bit (if one can really tell) but nothing more. Structure on the base edge will not allow the ski to slip laterally during turn initiation.

My above comment is based on real life experience not conjectures on the keyboard.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Jacques, do you think it’s an issue? Haven’t skiied these yet.
If they are slow, and hard to slide (skid) then just do as I showed if you have the tools.
Too deep of a structure will be slow, and hard to slide.

Sponsor

Staff online