• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best Epoxy for Top Sheet repair? (Pic inside)

Frank Ricard

Booting up
Skier
Hi everyone - title pretty much states it. What is the best epoxy to fix this?

g5r6IB2 - skis.jpg

altabrig

Drifting like a long radius with some tail rocker.
Skier
Hi everyone - title pretty much states it. What is the best epoxy to fix this?

View attachment 229591
Radial (panzer) file to smooth out a bit, JB Weld or putty to seal?

I used some cheap 2 ton clear under a top sheet that was delaming. Used a tongue depressor to get it under then clamped it. A thin putty knife would have worked better but I would have had to clean it.
Thw epoxy worked ok under the clear top sheet on the tips of an old Lotus 138. Now I need to figure out what to do with the nasty carbon fiber daggers that come out of the sidewall topsheet interface when I cut it with the other ski edge? The carbon fiber is worse than sharp titanal dings - worst splinters ever - like barbed obsidian.

TS
F

Frank Ricard

Booting up
Skier
@altabrig @SlideWright

No carbon in this ski that I know of... pretty sure that's titanium, fiberglass and wood core.

So far I have not filed it, just had the guys at the mountain Dremel off the titanium piece that was severed. Also have not hit it with heat (yet).

My plan was to file it a bit to get it smooth, let it sit for a week or so to ensure its dry, apply a hair dryer or heat gun at a low setting for a couple hrs to really ensure its dry... then apply an epoxy, then sand the epoxy so its flat.

Not many recent threads on the internet about top sheet epoxy, but one I found recommended West System G Flex, while others recommend a long curing marine epoxy.

altabrig

Drifting like a long radius with some tail rocker.
Skier
Sounds like a good plan^. West Systems is great for surfboards, but I would think for just sealing the edge you can get by with the cheap stuff. If you have a major delam, the problem is getting it in between the top sheet and layer it is coming off. The cure time is tricky with the west system stuff. Once it starts getting hot it is is done. At least when I have used it on EPS surfboard rail dings. So like slidewright recommended a slow cure to get in and make contact with the majority of the bubble and lock it down. Better then rivets!

I will need kevlar gloves to sand that carbon and a good 3M particulate respirator. The stuff is mean. Shards will tear right through good sandpaper.

Perhaps I exaggerate, but only slightly.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A couple of other relevant threads with various epoxy tips and suggestions...

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A couple of other relevant threads with various epoxy tips and suggestions...

Thanks David. Reading and learning.

Sponsor

Staff online