• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A Clean Base Is A Fast Base.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Waxing a dirty or greasy ski base is no good. Prior to waxing the ski base must be clean.

I have been using Swix Glide Wax Cleaner for years now and have found it to be the best way to clean a base prior to waxing.

Not only will it purge fluoros from the base, it will also remove all other contaminants from the base while leaving hydocarbon waxes in place.

Here I do a grease removal test.

Here in a older piece I demonstrate how to use the product.

eltigra

Yankee in the south
Skier
I also found the swix glide wax cleaner to be the best product out there for this use. I use it on new ski prep and core shot cleaning prior to repair. I don't like to base grind unless absolutely necessary and i don't use through the season between weekend waxing unless I find some funk on the base. How often do you use it during normal waxing
Waxing a dirty or greasy ski base is no good. Prior to waxing the ski base must be clean.

I have been using Swix Glide Wax Cleaner for years now and have found it to be the best way to clean a base prior to waxing.

Not only will it purge fluoros from the base, it will also remove all other contaminants from the base while leaving hydocarbon waxes in place.
sessions ? ( if the base appears clean )

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
I also found the swix glide wax cleaner to be the best product out there for this use. I use it on new ski prep and core shot cleaning prior to repair. I don't like to base grind unless absolutely necessary and i don't use through the season between weekend waxing unless I find some funk on the base. How often do you use it during normal waxing

sessions ? ( if the base appears clean )

When I started with it I used it only from time to time. More often in spring snow. Now I use it every time prior to waxing. Sometimes If the skis are looking "clean" I only use a light layer, yet always get junk in the wipers.
I'm totally sold on the product. I can feel confident I am not waxing contaminants into the base.
For best results one needs to keep the bases loaded up with wax.
Because it won't remove the hydrocarbons the bases stay super loaded. My skis are always super fast. Important for me because I am a lightweight!

Oh BTW, I do use wax remover prior to a base weld. I only use it in the gouge by using a wiper.

eltigra

Yankee in the south
Skier
When I started with it I used it only from time to time. More often in spring snow. Now I use it every time prior to waxing. Sometimes If the skis are looking "clean" I only use a light layer, yet always get junk in the wipers.
I'm totally sold on the product. I can feel confident I am not waxing contaminants into the base.
For best results one needs to keep the bases loaded up with wax.
Because it won't remove the hydrocarbons the bases stay super loaded. My skis are always super fast. Important for me because I am a lightweight!

Oh BTW, I do use wax remover prior to a base weld. I only use it in the gouge by using a wiper.
Interesting...we ski every weekend at the local hill so I rewax after every weekend (zoom all temp) not to mention loading the base up in the off season after purging the fluorinated wax from spring.......thought I was doing enough,may reevaluate. I'm 5'10 195 so gravity works well for me........

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Interesting...we ski every weekend at the local hill so I rewax after every weekend (zoom all temp) not to mention loading the base up in the off season after purging the fluorinated wax from spring.......thought I was doing enough,may reevaluate. I'm 5'10 195 so gravity works well for me........

It's guys like you I need to be able to keep up with on the runouts. I ski 130 or better days a season. (I'm not retired yet)
The guy behind me filming here is about your weight.
Then jump forward to here. Even better.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
I like to go slow. I'm slobbering mud on the bases before I apply the klister. I'll still go too fast in the bumps.

Eric

That's one way to control your speed! ;)

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Hey Jacques. Never used this stuff before and just ordered some based on your post. What is your recommended method to use it? This is what I found on the web:

• Apply cleaner with Swix Fiberlene paper, brush with white nylon brush while wet, wipe clean with Fiberlene; Let dry (5-30 minutes), brush with steel brush and wax with bas prep to finish

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Hey Jacques. Never used this stuff before and just ordered some based on your post. What is your recommended method to use it? This is what I found on the web:

• Apply cleaner with Swix Fiberlene paper, brush with white nylon brush while wet, wipe clean with Fiberlene; Let dry (5-30 minutes), brush with steel brush and wax with bas prep to finish

That's it exactly. However, I have taken to running the wiping cloth under the nylon brush. It seem to help getting into the lows of the structure better than a hand over wiper wipe.
I use that method with a deep structured ski post grind in this video.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I put a coarse structure on last Spring so I'm going to use the Ski Visions to put a medium structure back on the skis.

Would you use the cleaner before this, after or both?

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
I put a coarse structure on last Spring so I'm going to use the Ski Visions to put a medium structure back on the skis.

Would you use the cleaner before this, after or both?

I would clean them first, then again after. The stones may let loose a lot of base "dust". At least brush them well.

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yep.
Jacques tested and approved.
I could not believe how much crap this helped
Pull out of the bases after an April trip to Killington. Yikes. Dirty snow!!!!

FBEB4E87-FA56-4095-AF85-8D92AB5F123E.jpeg

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Yep.
Jacques tested and approved.
I could not believe how much crap this helped
Pull out of the bases after an April trip to Killington. Yikes. Dirty snow!!!!

View attachment 31601

If you get more just get the bottle. More bang for the buck. Main thing is it won't dry the bases like a full on wax remover. Conditions the bases to take wax and give a good clean surface. In turn the wax jobs come out much better. Ye Haw! :daffy:

Sponsor

Staff online