• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A brief introduction...

SlowPokePete

Live slow.
Skier
I'm Peter, known far and wide as SlowPokePete.

I havent skied in a good 20 years, but was I guess a fairly solid intermediate with poor equipment.

That old stuff was discarded upon retirement from teaching for 30 years and moving from Westchester County, NY, about 100 miles north to Hillsdale, in beautiful Columbia County. This was a bit over three years ago. I will turn 60 this year.

I'm an outside guy, mainly a cyclist (fantastic dirt roads around here). But riding through the winter here is kind of lousy with all the sand and salt that gets dumped on the roads.

and, Catamount is only 15 minutes away.

So...last week I rented some equipment, got a four hour pass, and checked it out. I was surprised that by the bottom of my first run, I was skiing as well as I think I ever did.

Yesterday, I took a ride over to Steiner's Sports to check out their sale. I had no idea when I walked in that I would be greeted by Sherrie, who I'm told is an excellent boot fitter.

A fitting? Hmmmm.

Fortunately for me, with no appointment, Sherrie had time before her next scheduled appointment to work with me and put together a package that I hope will sit me well. I was pretty impressed with the level of knowledge and insights as she measured and spoke with me about myself as a skier and what my goals were for myself in the sport.

I ended up with Nordica Enforcer 94's in 172 length, Tyrolia Attack bindings, and Nordica Speed Machine boots. I will pick it all up Tuesday.

I need to do a lot of reading and a lot of learning, and look forward with excitement to getting into the sport again!

SPP

I'm on Strava here ... https://www.strava.com/athletes/403203

and Instagram here ... https://www.instagram.com/slowpokepete/

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome to the community, Pete.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yesterday, I took a ride over to Steiner's Sports to check out their sale. I had no idea when I walked in that I would be greeted by Sherrie, who I'm told is an excellent boot fitter.

A fitting? Hmmmm.

Fortunately for me, with no appointment, Sherrie had time before her next scheduled appointment to work with me and put together a package that I hope will sit me well. I was pretty impressed with the level of knowledge and insights as she measured and spoke with me about myself as a skier and what my goals were for myself in the sport.
That is an EXCELLENT start to your ski gear purchasing, and the right thing to do. Probably the most strongly recommended thing on the whole site is to get to a good boot fitter for your boots if at all possible. Glad it worked out that way for you. And sounds like Sherrie was asking good questions.

:golfclap:

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier

Heh Pete, I saw Sherrie Saturday. She was ski school director at Jiminy for years. Sherrie can ski.

Garrick tuned my skis on the tuning "monster". We are lucky to have a shop near-by with people who know the business.

I ski at Jiminy.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like you really hit the jackpot on your choice of ski shop to drop into, and the timing of the visit. Skiing is a great life time sport and it's high time you got back into it. Your next step is trying to figure out ski passes.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm Peter, known far and wide as SlowPokePete.

I havent skied in a good 20 years, but was I guess a fairly solid intermediate with poor equipment.

That old stuff was discarded upon retirement from teaching for 30 years and moving from Westchester County, NY, about 100 miles north to Hillsdale, in beautiful Columbia County. This was a bit over three years ago. I will turn 60 this year.

I'm an outside guy, mainly a cyclist (fantastic dirt roads around here). But riding through the winter here is kind of lousy with all the sand and salt that gets dumped on the roads.

and, Catamount is only 15 minutes away.

So...last week I rented some equipment, got a four hour pass, and checked it out. I was surprised that by the bottom of my first run, I was skiing as well as I think I ever did.

A fitting? Hmmmm.

I ended up with Nordica Enforcer 94's in 172 length, Tyrolia Attack bindings, and Nordica Speed Machine boots. I will pick it all up Tuesday.

I need to do a lot of reading and a lot of learning, and look forward with excitement to getting into the sport again!

SPP

I'm on Strava here ... https://www.strava.com/athletes/403203

and Instagram here ... https://www.instagram.com/slowpokepete/
I rode a chairlift yesterday at Snowbird, UT with three strangers. I found out they were age 80, 82 and 85. The 85 and 82 year olds were a husband and wife who moved to Utah from NY in their early 70s to become senior ski bums. So, God willing, you got a lot of good ski years still ahead!

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Location matters a lot. Jiminy offers a Zephyr pass. It makes skiing available Sunday thru Friday with Saturday blacked out. There are also blackout days during some vacation times. During times where your pass is blacked out you can always ski after 3:00pm. And you can just buy a full time pass and have no blackouts. My Zephyr was $391 for this season - buy early.

There are a bunch of elderly men and women, regulars that you will get to know. You always have people to ski with. Jiminy is among the best grooming on the East Coast. And the snowmaking energy is generated by a windmill at the top of the mountain, so the machines blow snow often. Generally not during the day.

TS
SlowPokePete

SlowPokePete

Live slow.
Skier
Thanks for the welcome, and appreciate all the information.

Picking up my gear on Thursday morning and really looking forward to getting back at it!

Likely gonna look into the Spring Equinox Pass into next year's season pass for sure.

SPP

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welcome Pete and since you're on Strava, you could join the SkiTalk Club

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I rode a chairlift yesterday at Snowbird, UT with three strangers. I found out they were age 80, 82 and 85. The 85 and 82 year olds were a husband and wife who moved to Utah from NY in their early 70s to become senior ski bums. So, God willing, you got a lot of good ski years still ahead!
76 here
I resemble that !

I think we need a thread here for areas that offer free skiing for those over 75 or 80.
mt Ashland OR is free over 74
Palisades & Mammoth are free at 80

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Pete, welcome to this band of reprobates. Many bad habits to be learned or improved upon here.
It is a good on-line community.

Reading your post will give you 2 winters to start traveling West.

TS
SlowPokePete

SlowPokePete

Live slow.
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online