• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2023-2024 Colorado Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's that time of year. End of summer fast approaching. Peak 6 at Breck getting it's 1st dusting. Pre Season ski events happening. Time to start the 23/24 thread. Let's hope it is at least a repeat of last season.

What will ski season look like with the almost guaranteed El Niño winter?

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
What will ski season look like with the almost guaranteed El Niño winter?
Yes, there are some guaranteed great ski days coming up! Last year was the new baseline for my powder expectations, as we had numerous deep days in CO and UT. All I've gotta do is figure out precisely where and when, and then make sure that's where I'm at. But that's not as easy as it sounds, even with all the awesome data available from Opensnow and other sources. Here's the link with more data and acronyms than you can shake a powder-measuring stick at:

I have a friend that worked as a meteorologist at NCAR in Boulder (National Center for Atmospheric Research) Some years ago, he calls up and says "Let's ski Vail tomorrow, it's gonna be dumping!" He was correct, however I should have asked more questions about whether the dumping would be frozen or liquid.

The only thing worse than skiing dust-on-crust under gray skies at Snowmass, is constantly getting texts/photos from friends skiing at Copper the same day, wallowing in feet-deep powder in a stalled-out storm, just about 30 air-miles away. (this was Feb. 7 or 8, 2020).

Last year's forecast was correct about La Nina, but quite wrong about what the impacts would be, with records set in Utah, Colorado, and even in New Mexico and Arizona. The general El Nino expectation is "drive South" that Taos and Telluride will be snowier than Jackson or Big Sky, but if committing to travel plans now, that's about 1% better odds than flipping a coin, especially when attempting to plan specific dates.

My strategy for being in the right place at the right time is going to be to attempt to hang out in the "right place" and wait impatiently. Fortunately, the number of days I'm obligated to work equals zero. The number of days I plan to ski equals most of the other winter days.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks right now like I'll get some time in CO in early December, late January, and most of April. Hopeful to get a bunch of ski days in there around work. (And maybe even get a day or two in late October, if the season starts on time...)

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
I'll be out in CO January 25-ish through February 6-ish. The first part TBD locations, the last 5 days at WP.

@dbostedo, if your late January overlaps mine, would be nice to meet up for a day.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be out in CO January 25-ish through February 6-ish. The first part TBD locations, the last 5 days at WP.

@dbostedo, if your late January overlaps mine, would be nice to meet up for a day.
Unfortunately, my dates are Jan 20-24.

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
well doubt there will be any snow when wife and I take the two wheatens on their first road trip 3rd week of September for the Winter Park wine fest! However main reason we are going it to grab my mother's furniture at Morrison storage and bring it back to her assisted living. but we will be back late December for skiing. wine tasting should be fun.

TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It was a beautiful Sat. We had a Sat morning get together breakfast in Frisco and it was a perfect 41 degree morning that warmed up quickly. I took a few almost fall like pics from the weekend I was going to post here today. Fall pics though, nothing like the pics in Utah ... until this morning

Up really high but still made me smile

1694441426094.png

TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you believe Open Snow. Alright Joel, no teasing

Summary​

The first storm will bring rain and snow on September 14-15 and snowflakes could fall as low as 10,000-11,000ft. Then a second storm will likely bring colder temperatures and maybe enough moisture for snow in about one week, around Thursday, September 21. In between these systems, we'll see a mix of sunny skies and times of showers.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
It was a gorgeous day for the Pikes Peak Ascent race today. About 4” of fresh up top, the puppies in tow for max socialization. First snow for them. Awesome to be up high with winter at our feet and late summer in the sky. Two of my sons were running, eldest came in ~28th in a hyper competitive field since the Ascent is now part of The Golden Trail Series and not the marathon.

Southern Sawatch is nicely covered.

IMG_7731.jpeg

First paws….

IMG_7678.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online