• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2020/21 Northeast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Snowpack held up pretty well Kevin. At least on the lower angle terrain. I don't understand the idiots that went down steeper terrain that had been bare before Friday. Must like repairing core shots.
You should keep an old pair that are completely hammered that are your IDGAF skis for such occasions.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Snowpack held up pretty well Kevin. At least on the lower angle terrain. I don't understand the idiots that went down steeper terrain that had been bare before Friday. Must like repairing core shots.
Maybe in the soft spring snow is the only time the idiots can ski the steeper terrain. When the ice is hard and blue they wouldn't dare to take those runs and they just want to say they skied that black diamond run.

James

Out There
Instructor
Went to Stowe today. Not nearly the snow of Killington. Fair number of cars in the lot. No big lines. Started probably at 10, went to 4. Fisrt time we preferred the brown snow to white, in many places. Like Lord where the white stuff just had rocks. Other places the white was glue. Like the park.
Nosedive was by far the best. Actually, the only thing worth skiing. Pretty good snow after the steep parts. Glue in the section just before and after National. Did a bunch of laps there in the afternoon. Probably will be better tmrw if mixed in.
Stowe is toast. Still some left but not much.
Ran into Maximillian on Nosedive skiing with his mom. Later his dad. Impressive 5 year old skiing the bumps. We gave him a granola bar because he was tired and flopping on the ground.
Left the phone in the car after shedding a layer. This is at the Stone House at the top.

D9EA296A-71EA-44BC-9CCA-D503A3148109.jpeg

Last edited:

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Who skied Killington today (Sunday)? Rock skis tomorrow or another day on my happy skis?
Wife was not happy that I was skiing over bare ground spots last week with my "new thousand dollar skis". Put on my well loved Renouns so I had an old thousand dollar ski on my feet. Rock skis will let you go anywhere.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was there until 1:00 and the new snow certainly helped cover up many of the previously bare spots and freshened up the mountain, but it was warm and will be warm, so a good idea to use your rock skis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Closed out my NE season yesterday at Sunday River, with some administrative help from @sparty. Most of the runs were in really poor shape. The photo below of Risky Business is actually not one of the worse examples. The lower half of Cascades was just one dark brown strip about three ski-lengths wide. It looked like a mocha-chip shake. I skied it at about 9:00, and would be surprised to hear that it lasted the day.

I finally figured out that Right Stuff was just that. (I think @ScottB observed this in an earlier post.) The second two pics are of that run, which was skiing very nicely, with some good bumps developing skier right.

The only mistake I made was going to the River directly after skiing Sugarloaf the day before, where they appear to have gotten about double the snow on Friday, and where there was more of a base for it to fall on.

Upper Risky Business
20210418_104228-01.jpeg

Right Stuff, showing the typical glum northern NE spring weather
20210418_113419-01.jpeg

Corn Close-up
20210418_113432-02.jpeg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
20210418_113432-02.jpeg
Nice skis :)

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Who skied Killington today (Sunday)? Rock skis tomorrow or another day on my happy skis?
Was there with the kids on Friday and Sunday. Friday was fun with all the new snow and some skis that you were okay hitting stuff. Sunday was great in the afternoon with nice soft bumps on Superstar. We‘ve got a few more days left in us and such a nice change from being shutdown last Spring.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Since @Tony S was here Sunday, the weather has been warm. There's now a rope across the bottom of Cascades forcing traffic to Wildfire and Cutback, so I'm not sure if it made the end of the day Sunday or not. All three are now showing "closed" on the trail report, and I hadn't checked this morning, so they may have moved that closure up the hill (Wildfire had a section making me wish I had true rock skis on).

Jungle Road is still "open" with walking required, and while I was making jokes about "required" being a strong word a week or two ago, I'd say it's rather accurate now. Most of Jungle Road is bare ground (and rocky) at this point, so while I'm glad they're allowing access—Upper Sunday Punch skied rather nicely—it's a bit of stretch to say it's an "open" trail.

Lazy River is getting pretty sporty through the S-corner, and Tourist Trap is...interesting. I'm guessing by this time of the day, it's beyond soupy, especially with non-crystalline precip falling.

Right Stuff wasn't quite what I was hoping for this morning—it's got good coverage, but it wasn't groomed, so it was largely small, oddly spaced bumps.

There's three days of lift-served fun left, and while it's skiing a lot more like May than April, it's a lot better than nothing.

MadPatSki

Putting on skis
Skier
My latest on Eastern Closing dates...

Down to 6 ski areas spinning; 2 definitely stopping this weekend.

Freeze Frame – Eastern Closing Thread 2021 – Part 4

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied Sunday River today. Used my last Ikon day. Boy what a difference a day makes. The temp was 30 deg all day and it felt like the first week of the season, very firm. An inch or two fell overnight and it snowed lightly all day. Not much accumulation and a bit windy. They did groom everything that was still open and filled in all bare spots. The Locke triple was open this AM and the Barker quad closed. I think the quad was iced over. It opened right after noon and not too long after they closed the Locke Triple. I think they moved snow around quite a bit, as nothing open required walking. There was skiable snow top to bottom on every open trail. Some of it was pretty brown sugar, but I didn't add any new dings to my skis. I would say tomorrow is the day to hit SR, as once it all gets soft, the bare spots will get exposed pretty quick. They close at the end of the day on Saturday. Here are some pics from today. I actually found a little powder today on lazy river, pretty short section but it counts. Thanks for the season Sunday River, you did good in this trying year.

IMG_20210422_101957935.jpg IMG_20210422_114639868.jpg IMG_20210422_114643184.jpg IMG_20210422_114649832.jpg IMG_20210422_114657374.jpg IMG_20210422_132641746.jpg IMG_20210422_133110828.jpg IMG_20210422_141756618.jpg

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
22 April Killington Report
Blowing snow with temps in the teens The Beast greeted Earth Day wearing it's winter face. Couple of inches of light powder made for delightful turns on lower angle groomed slopes. New snow did a great job hiding any bare ground requiring a good memory of what was covered previously. Lots of upslope snow fell most of the day. Looking forward to good spring weekend.

Quote of the Day - Getting back into winter mode isn't easy.

IMG_0986.jpg Killington Peak IMG_0985.jpg Upper Mouse Run IMG_0988.jpg Afternoon paddle?

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I skied Sunday River today. Used my last Ikon day. Boy what a difference a day makes. The temp was 30 deg all day and it felt like the first week of the season, very firm. An inch or two fell overnight and it snowed lightly all day. Not much accumulation and a bit windy. They did groom everything that was still open and filled in all bare spots. The Locke triple was open this AM and the Barker quad closed. I think the quad was iced over. It opened right after noon and not too long after they closed the Locke Triple. I think they moved snow around quite a bit, as nothing open required walking. There was skiable snow top to bottom on every open trail. Some of it was pretty brown sugar, but I didn't add any new dings to my skis. I would say tomorrow is the day to hit SR, as once it all gets soft, the bare spots will get exposed pretty quick. They close at the end of the day on Saturday. Here are some pics from today. I actually found a little powder today on lazy river, pretty short section but it counts. Thanks for the season Sunday River, you did good in this trying year.

View attachment 131985 View attachment 131986 View attachment 131987 View attachment 131988 View attachment 131989 View attachment 131990 View attachment 131991 View attachment 131992
Rockin' the Ski Logiks! In the good way, not bad hopefully...

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
22 April Killington Report
Blowing snow with temps in the teens The Beast greeted Earth Day wearing it's winter face. Couple of inches of light powder made for delightful turns on lower angle groomed slopes. New snow did a great job hiding any bare ground requiring a good memory of what was covered previously. Lots of upslope snow fell most of the day. Looking forward to good spring weekend.

Quote of the Day - Getting back into winter mode isn't easy.

View attachment 132023 Killington Peak View attachment 132024 Upper Mouse Run View attachment 132025 Afternoon paddle?
After returning home for vaccination and a dose of real life, we are headed back up today. Bringing the rock skis, so hope to see you on the mountain. Too bad we missed the storms, but that is price for this year.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Got what I needed done for work a little earlier then expected, so I snuck out for an hour. Sunday River is down to three top to bottom routes--Ecstacy/Punch, Right Stuff, and Lazy River to Tourist Trap.

There were good turns to be had on all three, but Punch has some thin spots and Tourist Trap is best skied early, before people get a chance to beat up the rebuilt brown-ribbon section. If everyone could be convinced to not turn unnecessarily in the nature spots, the snow would probably hold up a lot better.

Tomorrow should be fun, fingers crossed for good weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January