• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2019-2020 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Convenient and good for their business plan, I gather, if not their common sense.
I have become more and more convinced that most people gradually talk themselves into whatever way of seeing things is most favorable to them, even when they think they are being objective and rational.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Measured 0.12" of rain at my weather station today. First measurable rain in weeks! I cant wait for the smoke to clear this is just insane. High temp yesterday 99.5ºF :geek: , 98ºF today :geek:. Hopefully tomorrow is the last time we see temps this hot in the city until next summer.
Today is the first in several that I can see the mountains clearly from downtown Denver.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yeah, for example, construction workers, roofers, road workers, movers, tree trimmers, wholesale warehouses and stores that serve these industries, etc. Garages and body shop workers. (But not auto parts stores.) Many times when I have to go to these places, I see that lack of masks and distancing.

I have been nigh-paranoid about social distancing, but man, I think it would be really hard to wear a mask while doing physical labor, especially if there's no air conditioning.

I did have to get a tow this past weekend, and the driver had about the least convincing mask I've ever seen. It was some sort of hard plastic (I think) that had about a 1/2 inch gap all around the top.

I regret pulling the trigger on my Ikon pass. My personal level of anxiety is such that it's hard to imagine I'd be willing to be that close to other people. But that being said, most people don't have the luxury of staying as locked-down as I have been, even if they wanted to. If I had to be around people most days anyway, I think I would be more shruggy about encountering other people in the mountains.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah. sort of like the Heuristic Trap of familiarity documented in avalanche incidents. We get tired of this $hit and, since the last trip to the grocery store didn't kill us, we become a little inured. We are heading CO way early next month. Renting a camper van to see family (distanced and masked) and just to be somewhere different. Hoping the smoke issues will be a bit less awful by then. But then we have it here in NM too, so heck...

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think it would be really hard to wear a mask while doing physical labor, especially if there's no air conditioning.

That is the exact what we did in the construction industry long before the pandemic. Physical labor, N95 mask and no AC. We call that a good day's work.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That is the exact what we did in the construction industry long before the pandemic. Physical labor, N95 mask and no AC. We call that a good day's work.
Yep. The only reason we had N95s is from my DH's shop.

Fair enough. You can see how much I don't know about it ...

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah, for example, construction workers, roofers, road workers, movers, tree trimmers, wholesale warehouses and stores that serve these industries, etc. Garages and body shop workers. (But not auto parts stores.) Many times when I have to go to these places, I see that lack of masks and distancing.

The slope restaurant I passed at about 9:30 a.m., very roughly; it was full of maybe two-thirds Copper employees and one third public, seemed like (Copper tee-shirts and common employee clothing/insignia on them) - open to the public. Farther inside I could see, but not as well. And it was crowded in there, whereas everywhere else that morning, and later in the afternoon, was pretty sparsely populated.

One lift to the far west was running, but I never saw anyone on it. The roller coaster was operating for guests already that a.m., and in the p.m. later - a steady but light stream, but on the mountain itself there was just the typical smattering of bike riders and hiker/runners - very few, and this in the most crowded, Central area. About the same as in other years, except for the roller coaster and on slope restaurant.
As Copper is in Summit County, it must abide by the County Health Orders. That requires restaurants to limit seating, customer to wear masks when not actually eating and the usual social distancing. They don't sound like they are complying as required. That does not bode well for their successful operation in winter.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Fair enough. You can see how much I don't know about it ...

TBH, 95% of my time is spent in an air conditioned office staring at a bunch of monitors or 8 foot long CPM schedules on the wall.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have been nigh-paranoid about social distancing, but man, I think it would be really hard to wear a mask while doing physical labor, especially if there's no air conditioning.

I did have to get a tow this past weekend, and the driver had about the least convincing mask I've ever seen. It was some sort of hard plastic (I think) that had about a 1/2 inch gap all around the top.

I regret pulling the trigger on my Ikon pass. My personal level of anxiety is such that it's hard to imagine I'd be willing to be that close to other people. But that being said, most people don't have the luxury of staying as locked-down as I have been, even if they wanted to. If I had to be around people most days anyway, I think I would be more shruggy about encountering other people in the mountains.
Yes. I find this deeply sensible, thanks.

(But on just the construction part of it, I had a lot of soiled and over-used N-95s lying around back when I worked construction at times, just as @KingGrump said. We got used to them, to avoid the particles from cutting/sanding, especially. It was the lesser of two weevils.)

I too am starting to maybe regret the Ikon pass, with their so far maybe more casual and self-serving(?) approach. I hope they reconsider, or get more focused in a good way. (I've gotten a Copper-based pass, and usually a Winter Park pass also, for many decades.)

The Vail plan I read just now is in fairly sharp contrast, with a detailed, two unrelated singles allowed at either end of a four person chair, two doubles allowed at either end of a six person chair (and probably a single at the other side of a double on the six person chair also). As usually a single person at the mountain, that might work, not sure. And I'd find it maybe possible at times, since sometimes there would be less, not more.

So I'm waiting for Alterra (Copper and Winter Park) to clarify, and now suddenly thinking of adding a Keystone or one of the full on Epic Passes. Gack. It might be a poor time to maybe re-acquaint myself with Vail and Beaver Creek for such a reason, after so long.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have become more and more convinced that most people gradually talk themselves into whatever way of seeing things is most favorable to them, even when they think they are being objective and rational.
There is a famous corollary to this, from Upton Sinclair (and confirmed by many of us over and over through the years):

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a famous corollary to this, from Upton Sinclair (and confirmed by many of us over and over through the years):

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair
I did not understand the sneaky thing about the problem until a decade or two ago. For most people, it is not a matter of bad faith. It's a subconscious adaptation. They honestly come to believe that the situation that benefits them most is the most fair.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I did not understand the sneaky thing about the problem until a decade or two ago. For most people, it is not a matter of bad faith. It's a subconscious adaptation. They honestly come to believe that the situation that benefits them most is the most fair.

The scary part is when you catch yourself doing it. And if you don't ever catch yourself doing it, I'm pretty sure you're just not looking hard enough. (The general "you," not you in particular.)

Pogo 4.jpg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Its all a matter of perspective. In any given situation / issue there are tons of different ones. It all depends on each individual's current situation and life experiences. I respect most every different one and even those that I dont, I try to understand.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Vail plan I read just now is in fairly sharp contrast, with a detailed, two unrelated singles allowed at either end of a four person chair, two doubles allowed at either end of a six person chair (and probably a single at the other side of a double on the six person chair also). As usually a single person at the mountain, that might work, not sure. And I'd find it maybe possible at times, since sometimes there would be less, not more.

So I'm waiting for Alterra (Copper and Winter Park) to clarify, and now suddenly thinking of adding a Keystone or one of the full on Epic Passes. Gack. It might be a poor time to maybe re-acquaint myself with Vail and Beaver Creek for such a reason, after so long.

If you haven't done so, you should read the "Vail Resorts Reservations" thread for all the potential unintended consequences of the reservation system. While the system seems to have good intentions, it may make you rethink about buying an Epic Pass. For what is worth to have a pass if you can't use it cause the are no spots available? (People blocking days and not using them, gaming the system, etc.)

Thread: Vail Resorts Announces Plans for 2020/21 Ski and Snowboard Season with Comprehensive Focus on Safety

Last edited:

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At 1st glance it looks pretty normal. If you look up high you can see the white stuff. Webcams up higher are in the clouds. Looks like anyone driving over Loveland Pass early today will get to see a little bit of winter.

It's Sep 1st. Is it time to start the 20/21 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer) thread?

image00001.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
At 1st glance it looks pretty normal. If you look up high you can see the white stuff. Webcams up higher are in the clouds. Looks like anyone driving over Loveland Pass early today will get to see a little bit of winter.

It's Sep 1st. Is it time to start the 20/21 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer) thread?

image00001.jpg
Yes, please. The new season is upon us.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

image00001.jpg

You do the honors mate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online